cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jack is too short

Chucknbob
Explorer
Explorer
So the main jack for my Jayco 165 doesn't lift the front of the trailer high enough to be able to lift the trailer off of the hitch. I have to slide a 4" block of wood underneath it to be able to lift it high enough.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to find any info to tell me if there is a wheel or something that may have been there at one time to make it higher. Does anyone know of something permanent I could use to increase the lifting height of the jack? The block of wood works but it feels a little rednecky (yes, that's a word).
34 REPLIES 34

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
ewarnerusa wrote:
Trailer tongue jack stand.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BGHVSM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After we flipped the axles on our TT, I found this to be a helpful item just to reduce the time it takes to extend/retract the jack since it has further to go now.

Hey, you got something against rednecks???:B

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
Trailer tongue jack stand.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BGHVSM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After we flipped the axles on our TT, I found this to be a helpful item just to reduce the time it takes to extend/retract the jack since it has further to go now.
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Chucknbob wrote:
Thanks everyone.

I knew the block of wood is a common practice, but I have to stack 4x4s on top of each other to get enough height to lift the camper off the ball. When I start stacking blocks of wood it tends to get a little wobbly.

Gotta use big wood.:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is too short at home. It's parking pad is level but starts to slope down at A frame. S
No big deal. Lynx or wood block. Unlevel state parks and booning. Lynx and wood at times
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
filrupmark wrote:
I guess most of us are Rednecks.
That's what I was thinking. I can't think of a time when my jack didn't have a 4 x 4 under it (except when it is hooked to the truck).

Or two. Actually, I use 4 x 6 's. More stable.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Chucknbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone.

I knew the block of wood is a common practice, but I have to stack 4x4s on top of each other to get enough height to lift the camper off the ball. When I start stacking blocks of wood it tends to get a little wobbly.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
My PUP came with a wheel which was fine for pushing around in the garage. It slips on and off.

When in the field I prefer the stability of the jack post on two or three 2x10's.

A also use 2x10s under my TT tongue jack, simple, effective and adjutable. The most important thing is well chocked wheels.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
That should do it....

GOOGLE Photo

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Flip Foot

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I also use a lock of wood. Unless I'm missing something, I don't understand the issue.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a jack foot that attaches with a hitch pin? Most if not all jacks come with one. It is often misplaced, and blocks get substituted.

I raised my TTs, and usually need a longer jack, So I welded an extension, of about 6" onto my jack foot. Then I drilled a few holes in it to make it adjustable. I also have a really short foot for when I need one. I think you can probably buy these ready to go.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
This is what we use. Ours is going 9 years now. Other than being a little faded, it works like new. Very light and inexpensive.

Tongue Jack Stand
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I almost always use a combination of 2x6 and 4x6 left overs. Often at home, I'm extra rednecky and use a concrete block too.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I use 2 4X4's held together by a piece of plywood screwed to them. It's about a foot square so it give me good solid footing. At some of the rough places I camp this is too high and I can not then get the front of the TT low enough to get it level. In those cases I just use a piece of plywood under the jack.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.