cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just got some bad news, could use some perspective.

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer
I had an order in for a 2015 F150 with the 5.0 and max payload package. I sold my 4Runner and have just been driving my F350 until the new one came.

On Tuesday I called the dealer to verify the delivery date and they informed me Ford has cancelled my order with no real help.

My dealer is doing what they can but are limited to what they can do.

So I'm thinking of this:
F150 Lariat
5.0 V8, tow package, integrated brake controller.
Super crew with the 5.5' box

This will give me a payload of just over 2000 lbs.

This should be adequate for our family with just about 100 lbs remaining payload after adding tongue weight, 4 passengers (me, wife, daughter, and dog), tonneau cover weight, and a little fudge factor for cargo and other stuff.

With this I will be back to periodic trips to the weigh scales and measuring the trailer tongue weight and loading the trailer carefully. With the F350 or the F150 with max payload package there is more room for variance.

I tow a spree 318bhs with a maximum weight of 7000 lbs and approximately 1200 lb tongue weight including my blue ox hitch which is really heavy.

Anything I am missing or have not considered.

The one bonus is that this truck will be 1 foot shorter and slightly easier to park than the super crew with a 6.5' box...
Spree 318bhs. Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch.
Primary tow vehicle 2015 F150 super crew, 5.0 V8.
106 REPLIES 106

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Shogun wrote:
32' 7000 lb trailer with a tongue weight around 1000 lbs.

KZ Spree 318 BHS to be specific.

We were able to put a similar truck on weigh scales and real world weight was 2000 lbs of payload.

So my calculations are:
- 230 lbs for me (including stuff I would bring in the truck)
- 150 lbs for my wife (including the stuff she would bring)
- 100 lbs for my daughter (as above)
- 200 lbs for tonneau cover and stuff in the box
- 100 lbs for the dog
- 1000 lbs for tongue weight

That leaves me with a payload of 1780 pounds used with 220 lbs we could add if needed.

My above given weights are way on the high side and provided my exercise plan kicks in I can shave an additional 30 pounds or more off the above ๐Ÿ˜‰

The only issue is wheel base length.

Most of our towing in on flat prairie 4 lane highway doing approximately 95kph.

I have the blue ox sway pro hitch which is amazing in wind along with the integrated trailer sway stuff in the truck which will likely never be needed.

Looking at overall weights I am well under any of the limits and for the 5% of my mileage I will be towing, this truck is very adequate.

Would a one ton dually with a massive diesel tow better yes, would my current F350 tow better yes (as far as wheel base goes but power to weight would be actually better with the 5.0 in the new F150), would the above trucks be better as a daily driver for 95% of the miles I would put on the vehicle, heck no...

The best financial decision would be to keep the F350 until it or me dies or we stop camping, then get a 5 year old prius...

You've done your homework for sure! Looks like you're all set to go.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got one comping finally!

I agree, with the small proportion of towing you do, there's nothing wrong with running right up close to the ratings, and it'll be much nicer to drive the rest of the time ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
Congratz I can not wait to see the pics of the new truck
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer
32' 7000 lb trailer with a tongue weight around 1000 lbs.

KZ Spree 318 BHS to be specific.

We were able to put a similar truck on weigh scales and real world weight was 2000 lbs of payload.

So my calculations are:
- 230 lbs for me (including stuff I would bring in the truck)
- 150 lbs for my wife (including the stuff she would bring)
- 100 lbs for my daughter (as above)
- 200 lbs for tonneau cover and stuff in the box
- 100 lbs for the dog
- 1000 lbs for tongue weight

That leaves me with a payload of 1780 pounds used with 220 lbs we could add if needed.

My above given weights are way on the high side and provided my exercise plan kicks in I can shave an additional 30 pounds or more off the above ๐Ÿ˜‰

The only issue is wheel base length.

Most of our towing in on flat prairie 4 lane highway doing approximately 95kph.

I have the blue ox sway pro hitch which is amazing in wind along with the integrated trailer sway stuff in the truck which will likely never be needed.

Looking at overall weights I am well under any of the limits and for the 5% of my mileage I will be towing, this truck is very adequate.

Would a one ton dually with a massive diesel tow better yes, would my current F350 tow better yes (as far as wheel base goes but power to weight would be actually better with the 5.0 in the new F150), would the above trucks be better as a daily driver for 95% of the miles I would put on the vehicle, heck no...

The best financial decision would be to keep the F350 until it or me dies or we stop camping, then get a 5 year old prius...

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to ask, because it has probably been answered, but are you planning on towing your TT with the new truck? What's the payload in the new truck?

I'm asking because I have some similar weight concerns on my set-up.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer
Just signed a deal on a F150 order (let's hope second time's a charm).

The dealer in Carman just made me the best offer and has an affiliate dealership close to me so all should be good.

The Ford just felt right and should meet all my needs. Nothing wrong with the GM products I tested. They were very nice.

This was so close to call for me. The dealership I went with just gave me a very reasonable deal even after factoring in the Ford discounts and such.

I have one big trip left for this summer and will use the F350 for the last hurrah...

Hunterred
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 GMC with the 5.3, max tow package (7600 lb GVWR). On the scale I have 1780 lbs payload with me in it. I am not sure what guys think a truck should tie like but I can run 105 k/hr on flat and hills towing our trailer and its 9100 lbs loaded for the week at 1200 lbs hitch weight. Loaded with mama and the little one we have 450 lbs available payload. For the bit of driving with the trailer we do 3000 k a year, get the truck you like to drive everyday and make sure you'll have enough payload to be safe, load and go!

wtd
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford 5.0 is not without it's problems either. If you go to the Ford F150 forums as well as some of the Mustang forums, you will see quite a few posts about ticking engine issues with the 5.0 and in some cases, a new engine is needed.

I have a 2014 Mustang GT with the 5.0 and so far no engine noises. One thing I like about the 5.0 is it does not have AFM and it is quite powerful.

With that said, this is my first new Ford after owning many GM vehicles and I have to say, my experience with Ford's warranty service has not been very positive and is the reason that this may be my last Ford.

It sounds like the Ford F150 is your first choice and is what you should probably get. Good luck on your search.

Wayne

go_jets_go
Explorer
Explorer
Which dealerships are you dealing with?

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer
Wish me luck, I just sent two offers to Ford dealerships in the area...

Let's see who comes back with what!!!

The GMC and Chevy's are just a bit out of my price range for the available units in inventory plus I am told the dealerships are unable to order any more units and I would have to wait until the 2016's are ready to make an order but at full cost, no incentives...

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Shogun wrote:
There are two issues with the Chevy that are concerning enough for me to not just run there and give them my money.

1) Oil consumption and engine issues with the active fuel management. I plan on keeping this vehicle for 7-10 years so long term longevity is an issue.

2) The frames on the GM trucks have issues of rust on the 2014 and 2015 model years right off the lot with not even a test drive.

So many issues to consider.

Oil consumption and AFM issues sound like older problems. I don't know if I would call the AFM a problem. I know quite a few guys didn't like the way the AFM activated on the engines before Direct Injection. I had a 6.2 at that time which didn't have it. My 15 does and so far it's been seamless. I wouldn't even know it was doing it if it wasn't for the DIC. Maybe a problem I'm not having? I don't hang out on any Gm pickup sites. As far as oil consumption mine has 4000 miles and still has the original oil and I just checked and it's off of full just enough to say.
As far as the rust, I've had my truck since April and at 4000 miles there's no rust on the frame. But after the next upstate NY winter I'm sure there will be like very other truck I've ever owned. Lol
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer
There are two issues with the Chevy that are concerning enough for me to not just run there and give them my money.

1) Oil consumption and engine issues with the active fuel management. I plan on keeping this vehicle for 7-10 years so long term longevity is an issue.

2) The frames on the GM trucks have issues of rust on the 2014 and 2015 model years right off the lot with not even a test drive.

So many issues to consider.

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
Sho- everyone knows that Chevy trucks ride better than Fords. Better seats too. You'll know it if you've towed 16 hours at a stretch.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer
We just took the 6.2 with 8 speed tranny for a test drive and even my wife who is a die hard Ford person admitted the power, smoothness, and ride quality of the Chevy was better than any Ford. She felt like she was in an suv, not a truck.

The plot thickens!