cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Justice Dept. sues FCA

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
U.S. Justice department sues Fiat over selling diesels(1500's and Cherokees) with software to defeat admission testing. Detroit Free Press
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4
28 REPLIES 28

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I thought this was a better explanation of why they're getting sued.

Why The U.S. Government Is Suing Fiat Chrysler Over Cheating Diesels

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
what needs to happen now is other countries need to step it up, some pollute 10X more than the U.S.

but we are the only one sucker enough to carry the burden alone.
bumpy

It's easy to forget how bad the air pollution used to be. Remember the smog in Los Angeles in the 60's? Very comparable to Beijing today. Personally I'd rather breathe the air here. It's not fair that our emission standards are tougher, but someone has to lead.

It has recently been proven that a majority of that smog comes from China via the jet stream and is blocked by the Rocky Mountains so it stagnates in the southern California region. While emissions from the US compounded the issue, it is not the major cause. I have no doubts that if the jet stream did not carry China's air pollution to the US, then the air pollution in Los Angeles would not have been nearly as bad back then.

Um no. China produces was more emissions now than it did in the 60s or 80s. Smog reduction in LA is a direct result of emissions being reduced here. I'll gladly pay a few hundred more dollars for a vehicle because of emissions. Or a few dollars a year more in my electric bill to have cleaner air.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
what needs to happen now is other countries need to step it up, some pollute 10X more than the U.S.

bumpy

It's easy to forget how bad the air pollution used to be. Remember the smog in Los Angeles in the 60's? Very comparable to Beijing today. Personally I'd rather breathe the air here. It's not fair that our emission standards are tougher, but someone has to lead.

It has recently been proven that a majority of that smog comes from China via the jet stream and is blocked by the Rocky Mountains so it stagnates in the southern California region. While emissions from the US compounded the issue, it is not the major cause. I have no doubts that if the jet stream did not carry China's air pollution to the US, then the air pollution in Los Angeles would not have been nearly as bad back then.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Good grief..time for another troll alert in the tow vehicle forum

If what they are doing is true, they are just as guilty as VW in trying to circumvent the rules.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Good grief..time for another troll alert in the tow vehicle forum
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

bumpy

Might want to do a little more research on that guys. US is second to China for emission pollutants in the world.

Google top 10 polluting countries.

x2

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Problem I see is that emission technology on diesels was ignored too long. Remember when gas engines had all that **** on them in the late 70's and 80's? Much more efficient now. Can diesels be cleaned up without choking them off, or costing $$ to clean, or replace filters etc every few years? I don't know. But diesels are being produced in much greater numbers now, with more coming on the market every year, so they better figure it out. I also prefer the cleaner air. You'd think the other countries would get tired of wearing masks outside all the time, and do something about it.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

bumpy

Might want to do a little more research on that guys. US is second to China for emission pollutants in the world.

Google top 10 polluting countries.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins claims the air coming out of their engines is cleaner than the air coming in. Enough is enough.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

bumpy

If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

bumpy

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I think everyone (especially the govt.) needs to realize that emissions have been maxed out! you cannot get them any lower. this is proven by the fact that at least 2 manuf have went to programming to make it look better. there are other manuf out there that I`m sure have done the same thing, they just haven't been caught yet. what needs to happen now is other countries need to step it up, some pollute 10X more than the U.S.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the ebb and flow of employees between the automakers it is only a matter of time once someone comes up with a scheme to bend the rules.
This lawsuit only addresses the 3.0, not the Cummins in the larger trucks.
Puma 30RKSS

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Travlingman wrote:
U.S. Justice department sues Fiat over selling diesels(1500's and Cherokees) with software to defeat admission testing. Detroit Free Press

The EU is also pursuing FCA over Cheat devices on Fiat and Jeep veh8cles