cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Justifying the cost of a Travel Trailer

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been thinking about getting a small travel trailer, less than 20 foot. It is just myself, don't need anything big and I can tow up to 3,500 lbs.

I don't know if buying one would justify the cost. I live in upstate NY so only have about 6 months to use it. Would use it weekends, maybe every other and possibly for a weeks vacation. I am still working so can't use it much more than that during those 6 months.

I have looked online and found a few used ones. Price ranges from $8,000 to $15,000. Found some new ones (2018) that run $15,000 and up, seems they are discounted a lot this time of year. Probably would not buy new though. Right now online dealers in my area don't have a great deal to choose from but I'm not in any hurry to get one if I do.

I would pay cash for it. Then there is insurance and also storage fees when not using it. I realize that there are also campground fees, propane, etc. I live in an apartment community and they don't allow RV's to be parked in the lot. The going rate for storage in my area seems to be about $50 a month.

Would I be foolish to buy one only to get to use it 12 times a year or so?
93 REPLIES 93

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Clearly you didn't read my post either (big surprise :R ) - as I already said I too don't carry any additional insurance not required by law on toys with a nominal value of just $5000 or less. Anytime my trailer is hitched to my truck it's covered for liability under the truck's insurance policy anyway. What you choose to do to make you comfortable is up to you, what I and others choose to do is up to us and no amount of cheap forum snarking on your part will change that. 😉

I wasn't talking about you in the post...but then you have to make EVERYTHING about you. It's called responsibility for one actions instead of expecting someone else to be...but then that seems to be the norm anymore......good day.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Jay Coe wrote:

Nothing else to lose. Pretty much judgement proof. Disability can't be touched, no savings or investments. The toys are it. And why would I hit anybody? I know how to drive both, quite well.

Ahhh you're one of them, accidents happen. Stay the heck away from me.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
To: GdeTrailer:^^^^^^^

Yes I realize that this is in the travel trailer section and NOT the motor home section.

As I said I did not buy the Grand Cherokee to tow any thing but it can be towed 4 down. When I retire I would like to full time in a motor home and I could tow the Jeep behind.

BUT until then I "thought" I could get a small travel trailer and try out the RV'ing world.

Yes I realize my Grand Cherokee does not have the factory tow package which limits the amount I can tow.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
rollindowntheroad wrote:
Please let me make it clear that I did not buy the Grand Cherokee in order to towing something. My previous vehicle I couldn't tow anything with. If my intent was to actually tow an RV I would have purchased the correct vehicle to tow what I want. I actually purchased the Grand Cherokee because it can be towed behind a motor home 4 down.

:R

Talk about "putting the cart before the horse" type of situation.

You DO realize that you ARE posting in the TRAVEL TRAILER SECTION and not in the MOTOR HOME SECTION..

Sorry, but since your choice of vehicles was solely aimed at being towed by a Motor Home and not the Jeep towing a trailer you basically have a very poorly setup vehicle for towing a trailer.

Since your vehicle was not equipped with a "towing package" you ARE missing important items required for towing and hence the low towing rating.

You can still go motor home route if you want to pursue that avenue, you can easily find SMALL older motor homes for fairly decent prices which might even have enough power/tow rating to pull your Jeep as a "Toad".

You NEED to be patient to find the deals but they are out there, YES, you most likely will be looking at 20+ yr old small motor homes and YES they will require some "elbo grease" on your part but it is not out of the question to find extremely low mileage small Motor Homes at a reasonable cost.

As far as the "debate" as to whether any "RV" is worth it, if you MUST ask that question then owning a RV is not for you..

Think of RVing/camping as a HOBBY, I have as of yet have never found a "hobby" to earn money or make economic sense. It IS a MONEY PIT as far as money goes..

However, you cannot put a price on enjoying nature, camping and getting away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life for a short time. To me, it is the time I take to get away from the pressures of work and recharge my physical and mental self makes owning a RV worth it. Gives me quality time to reconnect with my family and have fun with them.

As far as "saving money", not really, it costs to buy, costs to fix, costs to tow, costs to camp, in some cases costs to store, costs to insure.

If budget minded, you must think outside the box, used is outside most folks "box" around this forum and that IS where a budget minded person should be looking. Not saying there is anything wrong with buying new, but, with new you are losing a large lump of money upfront in depreciation AND INTEREST.

I stretch my money as far as it can go, somethings I DO like buying new (like transportation that I depend on to get back and forth to work), RVs, not so much...

RVs are "TOYS" that are "nice to have" and I am not depending on a RV to get back and forth to work (work pays for the basic needs PLUS any other "TOYS" I would like to have and therefore A RV plays a minor role in where my income goes.

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please let me make it clear that I did not buy the Grand Cherokee in order to towing something. My previous vehicle I couldn't tow anything with. If my intent was to actually tow an RV I would have purchased the correct vehicle to tow what I want. I actually purchased the Grand Cherokee because it can be towed behind a motor home 4 down.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
rollindowntheroad wrote:
Seems the conversation has gotten off track from my original post. If any one wants to discuss insurance on toys, or pop-up verses travel trailer please start a new thread.
Wow, this doesn’t hardly ever happen here. LOL.

I do want to thank all those who have responded. At this time I don't think I am going to be getting anything. Taking ALL things into consideration it just doesn't seem like I am going to be able to get what I want within the limits of the towing capacity of my Grand Cherokee. I don't want to trade the Jeep in and get something different either, I just got it a month ago.

Sadly, this is often the case when someone buys a new vehicle and then finds out it won’t do what they want. Perhaps on reconsideration, you will set your sights a tad lower and try to fit a camper to your Jeep. Good luck.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
Campers are cheaper and around me, used campers are rip offs for the abuse they seen and what people want for them. They most likely overpaid and expect you to do the same. Nope. That's why I won't even consider a used camper anymore, they're just not worth it.

Mike - I've read your posts for several years and recall some of the issues you've had with trailers you've owned, your dismay with some of them, but I'd have to disagree and say not all used trailers are "rip offs" or abused. Certainly a decent used travel trailer is more difficult to find but IMO that's simply because most TTs live outdoors year 'round and over time are going to show the effects of being exposed to the elements. OTOH good used popups, some 15+ yrs old, certainly do exist - it's just a matter of finding one that's been stored indoors, especially during the damp winter months. I've done it myself, friends of ours have done it - these campers do exist and they sell for significantly less $$$$$ than a brand new model.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
I too never carry comprehensive insurance on any toy worth $5K or less, only liability which may be required (which for recreational trailers here in Ontario it is not), reasoning that if I can't afford to lose a mere $5K then I shouldn't have that toy in the first place.

And anytime it's hitched to my vehicle it's covered for liability under my truck insurance.

mountainkowboy wrote:
I guess you didn't read his post, but that doesn't surprise me? He states that he doesn't carry ANY insurance on his TT, ATV, or snowmobile and its trailer.

Clearly you didn't read my post either (big surprise :R ) - as I already said I too don't carry any additional insurance not required by law on toys with a nominal value of just $5000 or less. Anytime my trailer is hitched to my truck it's covered for liability under the truck's insurance policy anyway. What you choose to do to make you comfortable is up to you, what I and others choose to do is up to us and no amount of cheap forum snarking on your part will change that. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems the conversation has gotten off track from my original post. If any one wants to discuss insurance on toys, or pop-up verses travel trailer please start a new thread.

I do want to thank all those who have responded. At this time I don't think I am going to be getting anything. Taking ALL things into consideration it just doesn't seem like I am going to be able to get what I want within the limits of the towing capacity of my Grand Cherokee. I don't want to trade the Jeep in and get something different either, I just got it a month ago.

Jay_Coe
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
Jay Coe wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
Jay Coe wrote:
Insurance - buy an older trailer and you don't need it. I would never dream of wasting money to insure my $4500 TT, or my $3600 atv, or my $2500 snowmobile or the $2200 trailer it lives in. Nor do I carry full coverage on my $5000 Suburban or $3000 motorcycle. If I had to buy insurance for all my toys, I couldn't afford to have them. I'd much rather have them and risk losing them, than not have them in the first place. (oh yeah, just bought another boat which will not be insured either)

God help ya when one of your "toys" does damage to something or someone, not a gamble I'm willing to take.

REAL EASY way to lose everything you have......

Did you miss the sentence where I said I would rather have them and risk losing them than never have them at all? In the grand scheme of life it's a really tiny risk compared to so many other things that can F you over.

Hit someone on either the ATV or snowmobile and you'll lose much more than the toy.

Nothing else to lose. Pretty much judgement proof. Disability can't be touched, no savings or investments. The toys are it. And why would I hit anybody? I know how to drive both, quite well.
Legal disclaimer: Trust me, I know everything!

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

I think you "are on drugs".

HERE is a pix of just ONE of the RV dealers close to me that has a price advertised..

Notice that it IS currently on "special" for $12,9995 and the "normal sale price is $15,995 and MSRP is $20,950!

That is on a 2018 (OLD MODEL) extremely SMALL 13ft trailer mind you..

I would highly doubt you could get a 2019 in a 13ft hard sided TT for less than $15K out the door.

If your are paying "ASKING PRICE" then you, not the dealer, are doing drugs. 😉

Also, why Aliner? There are all kinds of other small campers even cheaper if you stop advertisement shopping, and go negotiate to get real prices. My dealer has lower prices than those but since I'm not getting kick backs or finders fees, I'm not posting his prices and besides, it's most likely against the forum policy.

You're welcome to but I don't scam shop, I mean craigslist shop. There's good prices because most aren't real and are scammers. Most used campers privately are even worst with owners thinking their garbage is worth way more than it truly is. Then on top of that, you may have to drive hundreds of miles to find that one tiny camper that has a decent floorplan, and doesn't have major damage, seen or unseen.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Clicck
Explorer
Explorer
rollindowntheroad wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
What is your tow vehicle?

It is a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee - NO factory tow package

Forget towing anything bigger than a small popup or something like the Ascape or a livinlite tent camper.

Even with the tow package the Grand Cherokee can only manage to tow the smallest of travel trailers.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Jay Coe wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
Jay Coe wrote:
Insurance - buy an older trailer and you don't need it. I would never dream of wasting money to insure my $4500 TT, or my $3600 atv, or my $2500 snowmobile or the $2200 trailer it lives in. Nor do I carry full coverage on my $5000 Suburban or $3000 motorcycle. If I had to buy insurance for all my toys, I couldn't afford to have them. I'd much rather have them and risk losing them, than not have them in the first place. (oh yeah, just bought another boat which will not be insured either)

God help ya when one of your "toys" does damage to something or someone, not a gamble I'm willing to take.

Did you miss the sentence where I said I would rather have them and risk losing them than never have them at all? In the grand scheme of life it's a really tiny risk compared to so many other things that can F you over.

Hit someone on either the ATV or snowmobile and you'll lose much more than the toy.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Jay Coe wrote:
Insurance - buy an older trailer and you don't need it. I would never dream of wasting money to insure my $4500 TT, or my $3600 atv, or my $2500 snowmobile or the $2200 trailer it lives in. Nor do I carry full coverage on my $5000 Suburban or $3000 motorcycle.

mountainkowboy wrote:

Jay Coe wrote:

Chicken Little crying THE SKY IS FALLING! :R I too never carry comprehensive insurance on any toy worth $5K or less, only liability which may be required (which for recreational trailers here in Ontario it is not), reasoning that if I can't afford to lose a mere $5K then I shouldn't have that toy in the first place. In fact, now that I think about it one insurance company I've dealt with that specializes in recreational vehicle insurance won't even write a policy on a trailer worth less than $8000. A $30K trailer? - sure, I'd fully insure it, but a used 15 yr old trailer? - not a chance. And anytime it's hitched to my vehicle it's covered for liability under my truck insurance. Could a trailer parked on a campsite slip away and injure someone else? - sure, I guess it could BUT I take great pains to make sure the trailer is always secured properly. Thanks but no thanks, I insure my various belongings first as may be required by law, beyond that it's a judgement call as to whether full coverage for loss is worth the premium cost.

I guess you didn't read his post, but that doesn't surprise me? He states that he doesn't carry ANY insurance on his TT, ATV, or snowmobile and its trailer. If any of those cause any damage he can and will be taken to the cleaners for it. I pay $121.00 a year for my RV insurance, and it's covered no matter if it's on the truck or off.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mike Up wrote:

I think your dealers were high on drugs. My dealer has a 2019 29' bunkhouse travel trailers for under $15K and many smaller travel trailers between $11K and $14K.

My Top of the line premier 14' box pop up trailer was just under $14K and offers a larger slide and couch than what the 14' box highwall models even offer along with a second refrigerator.

My First Rockwood 2290 Pop Up was just over $7K and it was a large 12' box. My fully optioned 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up (12' box) with inside shower/toilet and outside shower was under $10K brand new. My Jay Fight 19BH travel trailer was $11K brand new, and even my newer 2012 Jay flight 26BH travel trailer was still under $15K brand new. All nicely optioned.

Go to the right dealer, don't let them charge you excessive freight and definitely not prep, and you'll get good prices.

My pop up was expensive but it's fully optioned. It's just as large inside and as comfortable (with more comfortable mattresses) than my Jay Flight 26BH.

Campers are cheaper and around me, used campers are rip offs for the abuse they seen and what people want for them. They most likely overpaid and expect you to do the same. Nope. That's why I won't even consider a used camper anymore, they're just not worth it.

I think you "are on drugs".

HERE is a pix of just ONE of the RV dealers close to me that has a price advertised..

Notice that it IS currently on "special" for $12,9995 and the "normal sale price is $15,995 and MSRP is $20,950!

That is on a 2018 (OLD MODEL) extremely SMALL 13ft trailer mind you..

I would highly doubt you could get a 2019 in a 13ft hard sided TT for less than $15K out the door.

I can easily find lots of used RVs on Craigslist with decent asking prices..

Example..

Found this 18ft TT on Craigslist for $2500..

Granted, there are lots of scammers out there, pretty easy to weed those out, they often have oddball pricing like $2501 and have extremely bad grammar, no location listed or gmail addy in the pix or text..

If you are buying used from a "dealer" then that is your stupidity, dealers have to markup considerably to get enough profit.. Plenty of reasonably priced used RVs directly from owners which is how I roll..