cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Justifying the cost of a Travel Trailer

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been thinking about getting a small travel trailer, less than 20 foot. It is just myself, don't need anything big and I can tow up to 3,500 lbs.

I don't know if buying one would justify the cost. I live in upstate NY so only have about 6 months to use it. Would use it weekends, maybe every other and possibly for a weeks vacation. I am still working so can't use it much more than that during those 6 months.

I have looked online and found a few used ones. Price ranges from $8,000 to $15,000. Found some new ones (2018) that run $15,000 and up, seems they are discounted a lot this time of year. Probably would not buy new though. Right now online dealers in my area don't have a great deal to choose from but I'm not in any hurry to get one if I do.

I would pay cash for it. Then there is insurance and also storage fees when not using it. I realize that there are also campground fees, propane, etc. I live in an apartment community and they don't allow RV's to be parked in the lot. The going rate for storage in my area seems to be about $50 a month.

Would I be foolish to buy one only to get to use it 12 times a year or so?
93 REPLIES 93

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

Not true, those "prices" you quoted are the "exception" rather than the "rule".

Back 18 yrs ago when we were first looking at RVs the AVERAGE price of ANY trailer was easily STARTING AT $12K and that was for the SMALLEST LEAST EQUIPPED POPUP you could find.

Small hard sided single axle trailers was STARTING AT $14K at that time.

I think your dealers were high on drugs. My dealer has a 2019 29' bunkhouse travel trailers for under $15K and many smaller travel trailers between $11K and $14K.

My Top of the line premier 14' box pop up trailer was just under $14K and offers a larger slide and couch than what the 14' box highwall models even offer along with a second refrigerator.

My First Rockwood 2290 Pop Up was just over $7K and it was a large 12' box. My fully optioned 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up (12' box) with inside shower/toilet and outside shower was under $10K brand new. My Jay Fight 19BH travel trailer was $11K brand new, and even my newer 2012 Jay flight 26BH travel trailer was still under $15K brand new. All nicely optioned.

Go to the right dealer, don't let them charge you excessive freight and definitely not prep, and you'll get good prices.

My pop up was expensive but it's fully optioned. It's just as large inside and as comfortable (with more comfortable mattresses) than my Jay Flight 26BH.

Campers are cheaper and around me, used campers are rip offs for the abuse they seen and what people want for them. They most likely overpaid and expect you to do the same. Nope. That's why I won't even consider a used camper anymore, they're just not worth it.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jay Coe wrote:
Insurance - buy an older trailer and you don't need it. I would never dream of wasting money to insure my $4500 TT, or my $3600 atv, or my $2500 snowmobile or the $2200 trailer it lives in. Nor do I carry full coverage on my $5000 Suburban or $3000 motorcycle.

mountainkowboy wrote:
God help ya when one of your "toys" does damage to something or someone, not a gamble I'm willing to take.

REAL EASY way to lose everything you have......

Jay Coe wrote:
Did you miss the sentence where I said I would rather have them and risk losing them than never have them at all? In the grand scheme of life it's a really tiny risk compared to so many other things that can F you over.

Chicken Little crying THE SKY IS FALLING! :R I too never carry comprehensive insurance on any toy worth $5K or less, only liability which may be required (which for recreational trailers here in Ontario it is not), reasoning that if I can't afford to lose a mere $5K then I shouldn't have that toy in the first place. In fact, now that I think about it one insurance company I've dealt with that specializes in recreational vehicle insurance won't even write a policy on a trailer worth less than $8000. A $30K trailer? - sure, I'd fully insure it, but a used 15 yr old trailer? - not a chance. And anytime it's hitched to my vehicle it's covered for liability under my truck insurance. Could a trailer parked on a campsite slip away and injure someone else? - sure, I guess it could BUT I take great pains to make sure the trailer is always secured properly. Thanks but no thanks, I insure my various belongings first as may be required by law, beyond that it's a judgement call as to whether full coverage for loss is worth the premium cost.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boomerweps wrote:
I read the WHOLE thread.

I recommend looking for RV shows and check out the various brands and floor plans that might suit you.
THEN go on line and search for the models you like. The used prices you mentioned in your original post are well within the prices of NEW TTs. You can find great online reviews of many trailers, especially on Utube. Www.rvtrader.com lists models by state and distance from you, includes a lot of pictures.
I decided on my floor plan and primary concerns, such as a dry bath, a bed that does not get assembled each night to sleep in, & we wanted bunks for the grandkids. We watched some great video reviews and decided on the model we wanted. Then we searched for it. Closest was about 50 miles away, dealer wanted about $15,500 USD for the 2018 TT. Searched online, found another in the neighboring state 150 miles away for $11,500 and they just got it as a 2019 model with a bigger refrigerator.
For an individual, there are a lot of great small, easy to tow TTs with features for $10-12,000.

Not true, those "prices" you quoted are the "exception" rather than the "rule".

Back 18 yrs ago when we were first looking at RVs the AVERAGE price of ANY trailer was easily STARTING AT $12K and that was for the SMALLEST LEAST EQUIPPED POPUP you could find.

Small hard sided single axle trailers was STARTING AT $14K at that time.

Things HAVE GONE UP in costs since then.

The starting prices coupled with the cheap build of the cheapest RVs made us rethink buying new. Instead we decide to buy used, ended up buying a 1981 20ft TT for $1800 instead of buying a new 2001 model for $18K. Yes, we DID have to make a bunch of repairs to get it into camping shape, but not anywhere near paying $18K plus interest (which adds an additional $10K to the purchase price).

All you have to do to save money is go back about 8yr-10yr and shouldn't have any troubles finding a fully depreciated used RV for $3K-$4K or so.. Beats the pants off paying a 15yr note on a trailer and in the end have SCRAP RESALE VALUE at the end of the loan.

Our current TT is a 1983 26ft trailer which we bought for $700, totally rebuilt we put under $4K of rehab and upgrades into it. Yes, it took time, about 2 yrs to complete but in the end, it IS the LAST RV that we intend to ever buy. We reworked the layout to suit us, no cheesy ugly green "jungle print" that was so early 2000 too boot..

From what I gathered, the OP has never camped before, I suspect has never towed before and as such the chances are great WILL have "buyers remorse" and end up not wanting to tow or camp..

There IS a "LEARNING CURVE" to not only camping but towing, not everyone takes to towing or camping..

That IS the reason a I really recommend renting for one or two camping trips, then if they think it will work for them find an OLDER USED RV that they can tow..

For some reason so many folks think they MUST buy a new RV to camp, plenty of low cost used RVs out there, just takes some determination to find what can work for them.

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
GrandpaKip wrote:
What is your tow vehicle?

It is a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee - NO factory tow package

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I read the WHOLE thread.

I recommend looking for RV shows and check out the various brands and floor plans that might suit you.
THEN go on line and search for the models you like. The used prices you mentioned in your original post are well within the prices of NEW TTs. You can find great online reviews of many trailers, especially on Utube. Www.rvtrader.com lists models by state and distance from you, includes a lot of pictures.
I decided on my floor plan and primary concerns, such as a dry bath, a bed that does not get assembled each night to sleep in, & we wanted bunks for the grandkids. We watched some great video reviews and decided on the model we wanted. Then we searched for it. Closest was about 50 miles away, dealer wanted about $15,500 USD for the 2018 TT. Searched online, found another in the neighboring state 150 miles away for $11,500 and they just got it as a 2019 model with a bigger refrigerator.
For an individual, there are a lot of great small, easy to tow TTs with features for $10-12,000.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Jay_Coe
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
Jay Coe wrote:
Insurance - buy an older trailer and you don't need it. I would never dream of wasting money to insure my $4500 TT, or my $3600 atv, or my $2500 snowmobile or the $2200 trailer it lives in. Nor do I carry full coverage on my $5000 Suburban or $3000 motorcycle. If I had to buy insurance for all my toys, I couldn't afford to have them. I'd much rather have them and risk losing them, than not have them in the first place. (oh yeah, just bought another boat which will not be insured either)

God help ya when one of your "toys" does damage to something or someone, not a gamble I'm willing to take.

Did you miss the sentence where I said I would rather have them and risk losing them than never have them at all? In the grand scheme of life it's a really tiny risk compared to so many other things that can F you over.
Legal disclaimer: Trust me, I know everything!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
What is your tow vehicle?
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Disagree. Pupped for 25 years. Popups are a big hassle over a TT.

SoundGuy wrote:
"Hassle" has nothing to do with the financial decision to move from a cost effective popup to a wallet bending travel trailer, 5th, MH, whatever. What you may view as a hassle wouldn't necessarily be by someone else but regardless, insofar as this discussion is concerned your point is irrelevant. :R

Terryallan wrote:
Not really. Have you checked prices for a nice pup. They are well over 10K. And there is always a seam coming loose somewhere.

Sure have. Here in Ontario from spring to fall there's a plethora of really nice used popups advertised for sale, average price range $3000 to $7000 Cdn, ~ $2300 to $5300 USD. Good friends of ours, long time campers and long time former travel trailer owners, recently purchased a mint 2004 Fleetwood Tacoma for $3850 Cdn, ~ $2900 USD - I've seen it and it is indeed mint. :B The market is now dead for the winter but once spring 2019 rolls around there once again will be plenty to choose from. Easy. :B

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Disagree. Pupped for 25 years. Popups are a big hassle over a TT.

SoundGuy wrote:
"Hassle" has nothing to do with the financial decision to move from a cost effective popup to a wallet bending travel trailer, 5th, MH, whatever. What you may view as a hassle wouldn't necessarily be by someone else but regardless, insofar as this discussion is concerned your point is irrelevant. :R

toedtoes wrote:
Cost differences between a popup and a different type of RV are not relevant in this discussion.

Cost differential has everything to do with this discussion. The argument that a travel trailer is in so many ways more comfortable, more convenient to camp in than a popup is a no-brainer. :R Rather, the OP is questioning whether the cost of a travel trailer can be "justified" and to that my answer is it depends on how much you use it. If you're out dozens of weekends each season, take a couple of long trips each summer with it, then a travel trailer can make a lot of sense and thus for many commitment to the travel trailer lifestyle is "justified". However for those who get out camping only occasionally justifying the cost of a travel trailer becomes questionable, especially when one can easily buy a used, mint condition popup for a fraction of the cost of a travel trailer and have far less ownership costs over the long term. The OP may not "want" a popup but he has to know that the next step to a travel trailer will represent a significantly greater investment in time, energy, and $$$$$ - whether it's worth it only the OP can determine.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
treyster wrote:
Buy used, try it for a year. If it's not for you sell it. Not much to lose

coolmom42 wrote:
This.

And you do have to look at it as a hobby, not something that you can justify the cost of.

rollindowntheroad wrote:
If I do anything I would buy something used. Getting something and trying it for a year sounds like a good idea. As you stated I could sell it and probably not loose a great deal.

colliehauler wrote:
Not everyone enjoys the rv lifestyle.

As total newbies 20 yrs ago the first popup DW & I owned was a 1998 Jayco Eagle 10UD that had been purchased brand new by the original owner who used it just 4 times until his wife declared that her idea of a vacation was at a Hilton Hotel, not a dusty campground. 😛 We purchased it that fall for 2/3rds of it's original selling price, he stored it in his garage that winter for us, and the next season we towed it 5000 miles and camped 40 nights, including a trip to Myrtle Beach. 🙂 At the end of that first season we had a far better idea what we wanted in a camper and sold the Jayco for $600 more than we had paid for it to new owners who were likewise thrilled to find a mint condition popup for thousands less than a new one. :B There are some good deals out there if you're persistent enough to take the time to look. 😉

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
rollindowntheroad wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
treyster wrote:
Buy used, try it for a year. If it's not for you sell it. Not much to lose

This.

And you do have to look at it as a hobby, not something that you can justify the cost of.

Set aside your purchase money plus a fair amount for things like tire replacement, and items you might need to equip it.

You will enjoy it the most if you keep it stocked and ready to go at a moment's notice.

If I do anything I would buy something used. Getting something and trying it for a year sounds like a good idea. As you stated I could sell it and probably not loose a great deal.

I would definitely keep it stocked and ready to go. I have enough stuff (dishes, pans, clothes, etc.) to keep it stocked and not have to go out and buy a lot.

This sounds like a way to go!
This is what I would suggest as well. Not everyone enjoys the rv lifestyle. Some prefer motels and restaurants for vacations. I personally enjoy going places that motels are not always present or eating establishments.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
rollindowntheroad wrote:
T
Also, someone mentioned that I wouldn't find any thing I can tow with my vehicle. Well, in fact I have found several. One is the Travel Lite: Falcon FL-18RB, dry weight of 2,176 lbs.

That Falcon may be the only TT that would work if it doesn't have a hitch weight that exceeds your tow vehicles capability.

Never go by the tow rating. That's the last thing that the vehicle will ever go over.

The 2 things that will exceed the vehicles capability are the payload and the hitch rating. A 3500 lbs "LOADED" travel trailer will have to be between 2500 lbs and 3000 lbs "DRY" and even less for a "Brochure" weight that is 'optionless'.

Even at 3500 lbs, that travel trailer will have approximately 450 lbs or more of hitch weight. Most crossover SUVs (cars) are only rated for 3500 lbs tow rating and 350 lbs hitch rating. That's good for a boat or a flat trailer, not a travel trailer that has a heavier hitch weight.

Also most of those crossovers have under 1000 lbs payload which is right on your door jam on the yellow sticker stating your max cargo weight include passengers. The few crossover SUVs I've seen were around 700 - 800 lbs. After a normal size couple, you only have around 400 lbs left for everything in the SUV (tools, coolers, such) and the trailers hitch weight.

Then that 3500 lbs tow rating is based on a small frontal area which is NOT a travel trailer, that has a large frontal surface area. Factor in that Travel Trailers frontal surface area and your tow rating drops even further. Factor in a hot summer day, and drops even further. Factor in hills or mountains, drops even further. That's why the rule of thumb is not to exceed 80% of your tow rating which would be 2800 lbs "LOADED".

For a small travel trailer as a R-Pod, a midsize truck or SUV with their tow package, is the smallest tow vehicle I'd even consider.

For a vehicle with a limited 3500 lbs tow rating, I would only recommend smaller pop ups. Hek, even my Pop up is 3370 lbs! Pop Ups even have lighter tongue weights than travel trailers.

I know you don't want a pop up but maybe an A frame hard side folding trailer is more inline with the capabilities of your tow vehicle. However, my pop up and the A frames cost the same and sometimes more than some aluminum sided large travel trailers.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Jay Coe wrote:
Insurance - buy an older trailer and you don't need it. I would never dream of wasting money to insure my $4500 TT, or my $3600 atv, or my $2500 snowmobile or the $2200 trailer it lives in. Nor do I carry full coverage on my $5000 Suburban or $3000 motorcycle. If I had to buy insurance for all my toys, I couldn't afford to have them. I'd much rather have them and risk losing them, than not have them in the first place. (oh yeah, just bought another boat which will not be insured either)

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:

Describe light rain. Like the downpour in Charleston where the water was a foot deep and still falling, or the lite rain in Linville where the water was pouring off the pup like pouring it out of a boot. Lasted for 2 days. Appears you have never broke camp in the rain. Lite rain my foot.

The last 3 years owning the pup. It rained every time I started toward the pup with the crank in my hand. And I don't mean a drizzle.. Sooner or later you will be putting it up, or down in real rain. then you may understand.

Again. I loved our pup days. It allowed us to go places we never could have went. But as I got older, It just became too much trouble. Got tired of putting it up three times for every trip, and having to walk to the bath house in the middle of the night.

I've had 2 brand new Pop Ups and 2 brand new travel trailers. Only once have I had an issue with rain and was due to my impatience.

Unless you are in a bad flood, the rain will slow or quit eventually. I've never seen when it hasn't and we get flash floods often. I have closed up the pop ups to many times in the rain to count and never had issues. Yes, you do have to open them up to dry at home just as you would with a tent, since it is tenting but you can do that at your leisure. If you put the camper in a garage at your home, condo, or apartment, you don't have to open all the way up, just far enough to pull the tent out to dry.

In Northwest Indiana, we get bad thunderstorms so I know rain.

rollindowntheroad stated he didn't want a pop up, but I have never had anyone ever help with setup or break down. It's very easy to do by yourself unless you're camping in a true soft top tent trailer, where it would be more difficult.

While a Pop Up has nothing to do with this thread, I got rid of my travel trailer because I could NOT justify it's expense for it's limited use. I stayed in the hobby by going to another camper type and I stated why. That's from the experience of having 4 campers and camping for years.

Clicck
Explorer
Explorer
rollindowntheroad wrote:

Also, someone mentioned that I wouldn't find any thing I can tow with my vehicle. Well, in fact I have found several. One is the Travel Lite: Falcon FL-18RB, dry weight of 2,176 lbs.

Dry weight is no options, as delivered the camper will be much closer to 3k, add in your camping gear, water, etc. and that "dry weight" will be but a distant memory.

There is plenty of info on these forums about all of this, the reality is the tow rating of any vehicle is the least important number. Look up your vehicles payload and do the math on that.

Not trying to rain on your parade but once you start digging into towing you'll likely find your vehicle will be woefully inadequate for a travel trailer.