cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kayak on the back of a Travel Trailer (?)

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 10 feet recreational kayak (50lb), that I strap to the TV roof.
The wind noise drive me crazy...

Is there any other way to carry that kayak?
how about at back of a Travel Trailer?

I did googled it, only a few pics showed up...

This is an example of what I am thinking about.
but please bare in mind that this kayak in the pic is way heavier then mine.

A Girl vs RV world - I know I can do this!
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon +
2015 Jayco SLX 184BH + Andersen No Sway WDH
22 REPLIES 22

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also , same deal , on one of my fifthwheels I did same with cleats but on the bottom I mounted onto the top of the back bumper a piece of well protected plywood about 14 inches deep by the width , kinda like a tailgate , I stood the yaks up and lashed them down . Also came in handy several times when I NEEDED TO HAUL SOMETHING AS MY PICKUP IS 100 PERCENT FULL OF BIRD FEEDERS AS WE GO TO SHOWS ALL OVER THE SOUTH . HOW DO I SHUT OFF THEM CAPITOL LETTERS , GOTTA GET MY DAUGHTER IN HERE !

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayaks are light weight , no pictures ! I made two things that kinda looked like square basket ball hoops and clamped them on the back bumper . the sides of the hoops were made width wise so that the yaks sat into the hoop several inches , one yak on each side of the spare tire . I installed stainless boat cleats on back of trailer outboard of loaded yak .For securing in the center above the spare tire , another cleat on my first trailer , on the second trailer I placed a metal upright from the spare tire mount up to the height of the outboard cleats . What is important to me is to keep them in close for less leverage/weight .

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Eight or nine respondents before any one answers his question , can he carry kayaks on the back of his travel trailer ,sure ya can ! I carried two 10 foot yaks on my back bumper for ten years . One of the tricks to carrying any thing on the back is two get them in close , the farther out they are the more they weigh and the more they shake !

How did you carry the kayaks?
Do you have any pics?

I would like to see/read more!
Please share!

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer having the kayaks on the TV. That way I just drive to the launch area and unload them into the water. Having to handle and re handle kayak mounting to the trailer to me would be a real pain.

I agree with Oasisbob, twist the mounting straps or they will vibrate with just the wind blowing.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eight or nine respondents before any one answers his question , can he carry kayaks on the back of his travel trailer ,sure ya can ! I carried two 10 foot yaks on my back bumper for ten years . One of the tricks to carrying any thing on the back is two get them in close , the farther out they are the more they weigh and the more they shake !

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
I have been told about the twist too. it will also help the kayak as vibrating straps can damage the surface or shred themselves if they vibrate over a sharp edge. Just think of it this way, have you ever taken a blade of grass and held it between your thumbs and blew across it? You will get a loud shrieking noise. I think the same principal applies to straps being taunt and having wind blown across them.
It is annoying and I have stopped to readjust them on several occasions. I have mine atop a bed rack.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
We've had "double straps" that we had to tape together because the wind going between them made a sound like a wood-wind instrument.

I'll try that half-twist' on our single straps and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the heads up.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
Dream Girl wrote:
newlee wrote:
Is it the kayak or the straps that are making the noise?
If the straps do not have a twist in them they will make a lot of noise.
May be an easy fix if that is the problem just a half twist in each straight section of the straps.

A half twist you say?
That is very interesting, I will try that on my next trip even though I don't get how that will help...

I don't know how it helps either. But it does. Although I never tied the twist. I wrap some tape around the offending strap(s) and it quiets right down. I'll try the twist next time.

newlee
Explorer
Explorer
Dream Girl wrote:
newlee wrote:
May be an easy fix if that is the problem just a half twist in each straight section of the straps.

A half twist you say?
That is very interesting, I will try that on my next trip even though I don't get how that will help...

Yes
It will stop all the howling from the straps.
Dan & Pat Newhall
Central California
2003 Newmar Kountry Star DP 3353
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
1995 Ford Ranger STX 4X4 Toad
1995 Jeep Wrangler Toad (KISA RCK}

LBL_1206
Explorer
Explorer
J racks are your friend. easy to put kayaks in and take off. no foam blocks to mess with. I carry two kayaks over 10 feet long using the J racks when I can't use the truck bed...

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
newlee wrote:

A half twist you say?

newlee
Explorer
Explorer
Dan & Pat Newhall
Central California
2003 Newmar Kountry Star DP 3353
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
1995 Ford Ranger STX 4X4 Toad
1995 Jeep Wrangler Toad (KISA RCK}

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
OP here again.

1. The wind noise come from the foam block and tie-down straps
2. The pic in my first post was just an example about what was on my mind, I have found it on the web using google
3. The 10 feet kayak didn't fit inside my TT, believe me - I tried many many times and in different ways with no luck.
4. Strapping the kayak on the Jeep roof is also a PITA for me.

Here are more pics that I have found on the web, some people are very creative!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
cbshoestring wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I have a 8 foot Kayak and I can slide it into the back of my pickup, close the end gate, tie it down, and still have plenty of room between that and the TT. Are you certain that your 10 foot one won't fit in there.

I have also, at times, just slid it through the door of the TT. I have to get it a little sideways and it does takes some maneuvering so, I prefer to carry it in back of the pickup.

I put two 10' kayaks in my 8' bed, and the dog in his crate, plenty of room. Irrelevant to the discussion...according to the OP's profile, the TV in question is a jeep.

Sorry, Me bad. I read the post but, didn't look at his sig.