Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping decals looking new

aruba
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

One my old trailer, the front of it always faced the sun and in didn't take long for the vinyl decal on the nose to fade away. I don't want that happening to my new trailer. Is there a trick or product out there that helps to preserve vinyl decals?

Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
mikedboyd wrote:
6.7 tow rig wrote:
303 is the ONLY way to go in my opinion. Ive been using it for years and it works fantastic. My TT is fiberglass and I even use it on that. Spray it on lightly and wipe it off with a rag.

How often do you use it?

Does it help getting bugs off?

Oh yeah, it makes the surface slick as ice. Like mentioned above its not wax, so if it sits outside it does where off a little but you can reapply very easily. My routine is this...... Wax entire outside once a year in the spring using REJEX. Then I will apply 303 to the decals. After this I will apply 303 to the whole exterior as the wax seems to lose its slickness. Usually wax the first of April, apply 303 around mid June and again as needed, probably once or twice before winterizing.

The bugs come off very easily after 303 is applied.

The big thing to remember when putting it on the fiberglass is a little goes a loooooooong way. I have done the trailer in my sig twice using maybe a quarter of a bottle. I have found its best to spray it on the rag then wipe it on. If you put it on too thick it will streak a little in the rain. If put on right you will never see a streak and it will add a brilliant shine. I use it on the awning, walls, tires and slide seals.

I cant get it anywhere around here so I order it from Amazon
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

thib2722
Explorer
Explorer
303 is available at Camping World and other major RV retailers

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Doering wrote:
Eyetattoo wrote:
Is 303 also a wax? And is it safe for gel coated fiberglass?

Yes, I'm also wondering whether to use the 303 or car wax on the trailer exterior. Gotta think the wax would last longer. I am planning to use the 303 on the trailer roof.

303 is not a wax, it is a water based polymer with added uv protectant.
Wax would probably last longer but very few offer any UV protecetion. Any wax with petrolium distillates should not be used on vinyl graphics.
I have been using 303 for just over 20 years now and have eliminated all waxing. Great product.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Doering
Explorer
Explorer
Eyetattoo wrote:

Yes, I'm also wondering whether to use the 303 or car wax on the trailer exterior. Gotta think the wax would last longer. I am planning to use the 303 on the trailer roof.

Eyetattoo
Explorer
Explorer
2015 2500HD Duramax LTZ Crew Cab
2005 26' Attitude Toy Hauler
2007 GSXR600
2004 YFZ450
2006 TRX90
2013 Raptor 90
2007 Raptor 350

Is it time to camp yet?!

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Our ROO 23SS is stored undercover 24/7, BUT...the rear decal gets the full blast of sun all day and was getting dry and brittle and generally looking tired. We ordered a new one, but were thinking of a way to protect it. The concept was to get a soft-backed (like a flannel) white vinyl and hem it to make it look better and be stronger. Put gromets in the corners. With the HTT we were going to use bungies to hook to the top latches and then long bungies to go down and around the bumper and hook back onto itself (like the PUGS). Then to add a small block of very soft foam or ?? to hold this cover away from the surface slightly so it wouldn't blow and cause abrasion. Does this make sense?? Meanwhile, we have just sold the ROO and will be removing the old decal tonight and replacing with the new one - $50. So now we have a TT and the decals are not placed where it's convenient to do this same thing. We also have a large window on the back. So.....we're rethinking this concept, but feel like we need to come up with something. Have even considered building a wall of some sort to go behind the TT to make sure both the decals and the window and furnishing are protected from this blast of sun, rain, snow.

We have never used the 303 that I know of, but sounds like a good investment. I'm assuming you just wax the entire unit with it, is that right?
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

mikedboyd
Explorer
Explorer
6.7 tow rig wrote:
303 is the ONLY way to go in my opinion. Ive been using it for years and it works fantastic. My TT is fiberglass and I even use it on that. Spray it on lightly and wipe it off with a rag.

How often do you use it?

Does it help getting bugs off?

Mike & Tracy Boyd

2013 LaCrosse 318BHS Travel Trailer - Forest River - Prime Time
2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crewcab SB DMax/Allison

Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
1996 Jayco 1208KB Popup
then from a 2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS

steeleshark
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle Wax Ice once every 2 months. Easy on/off.
2011 Nissan Armada SL w/Tow Package
2012 Coachmen Freedom Express (292BHDS) Liberty Edition

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
Their website has a dealer locator. For me it was not a parts store but a truck accessory store.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
harold1946 wrote:
UV does the dammage. I use aerospace 303 protectant. SPF 40.
Is that available in auto parts stores?

Some auto parts stores do carry it and some walmarts.
I buy it by the gallon also, most times directly from 303products.com I use it on the whole rv from the roof to the tires. Havent used wax in 20 years.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

APT
Explorer
Explorer
harold1946 wrote:

Same here. I use it pretty much everywhere outside my TT. It is available at many auto parts store. It's a little pricey by the bottle, so I buy a gallon jug at a time. Amazon and Camping World have the gallon sizes.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
harold1946 wrote:
Is that available in auto parts stores?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Have them removed.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog