cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kelderman Air Ride

brain
Explorer
Explorer
In 2006, newbie TC and diesel owner me get our TC and went with Firestone air bags to help with the large TC sag. That set of posts is long gone from here, but most who have been around a while saw the gory details. I was so scared of bags at that point.

So, after the first trip, we yanked the now ruined bags, and put on Timbrens (Extreme Service option, very heavy duty)

They were awesome.

About 2010/11, the unit squatted a bit when loaded, so I added Hellwig Big Wig Helper springs, the ones that mount over the helper springs and have a hump in teh spring:

http://www.hellwigproducts.com/products/load-control/big-wig-helper-spring/

Those helped a lot, but the truck rides pretty rough, and we're getting older, so I decided it is time for major changes.

I always wanted to do a Kelderman Air Ride, but could not justify the cost and was leery of bags back in 2006. However, enough time has passed, I realize Kelderman is not a set of cheap bags, so I am putting the entire F350 DRW LB CC on air next week.

I live in IA, and Oskaloosa is just 1.5 hr away, so the Kelderman shop is going to do the conversion. Somehow, that seems impressive.

I see a few folks have Kelderman. Any thoughts? Anything I should tell the team as they start to install?

Jim
12 REPLIES 12

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Right, replaces the coil springs.

I have a different 4 link kit coming for the rear, and will be interested in how you like the Kelderman.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

brain
Explorer
Explorer
HMS Beagle wrote:
What truck? 4WD or 2WD?

I thought they did all the newer ones, 4WD only, front full air. They don't make anything for mine, 2WD.

Well, I have a 4WD, and the front kit is full air, but it's not a 4 link:

https://kelderman.com/shop/2005-ford-super-duty-2-stage-front-air-suspension-128

They offer a 4 link front air ride only on lifted options (8-10")

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
What truck? 4WD or 2WD?

I thought they did all the newer ones, 4WD only, front full air. They don't make anything for mine, 2WD.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

brain
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning the 4 link on the rear. Kelderman does not offer a stock height 4 link fro the front so I am planning the 2 stage on the front

i appreciate all of the thoughts. From research, it appears people are happy except the one guy with the 3500 dodge. I think I can live with that. I am reducing my risk by having leader man do the install and if there are any issues I'm just 90 miles away to drop it off and have them deal with the issue. I've got a big camper Okanagan 117DBL, so it should be a good test.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge is offering air suspension options on their 3/4 ton (replacing the coil springs) and an "air assisted" on their 1T which is essentially factory mounted airbag assists for the springs (like aftermarket).

I did extensive research into this looking for a system for my F350. There have been some complaints about the Kelderman breaking links in older installations, but a lot of people seem pretty happy with them. They mainly retrofit chassis cabs though, and some 4WD pickups. Much harder to fit the needed pieces in a 2WD pickup, ride height is lower and frame is wider. On chassis cabs, there are a lot of choices due to the ambulance industry. Pickups your choices are much more limited. There are a few who have home built successful conversions, but it is not for the beginner - lots of fabrication and lots of ways to go wrong. Many of the DIY kits are really intended for kids off roading, not for camper hauling.

Also worth noting that Kelderman sells two systems, a true 4 link and an air assist, the latter floats the back shackle of the springs on air when the load is low - cheaper, but less than full air.

brain
Explorer
Explorer
Steve_in_29 wrote:
brain wrote:
I searched all the threads but found nothing. Any search terms that might help?
Sorry I didn't mean on RV.net. Try google and see what pops.

Maybe this:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17152344/print/true.cfm

THat's a new Dodge, and it looks like they still had springs, so maybe the OP had a 2 stage system.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if the posts were saved in the truck camper university section of the forum, or maybe somewhere in the tow vehicles section, but there was a member of the forum here who built his own air ride suspension on his pickup and there was quite a discussion about it. He built it for both the front and the rear. I think there was also a big revision he did to one end of the truck later on, or maybe he did it to a another truck after the first one, I can't remember. Anyways, there was much discussion on the forum about it. Sorry I can't remember the member's name.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have air ride in our 12 years old Mercedes wagon and it is superior suspension. On sedans the computer lowers the car when speed goes above 80 mph. COOL, safe and save fuel money.
But that comes with price. Compressor wear out, rubber sleeves age, valves get stuck (big issue in freezing weather).
But than on commercial vehicles the system work for 20 years with no big expenses. I think some air bags on my conversions were close to 30 years old.
Isn't Dodge making air suspension as an option?
Good luck with the project. Looking at the pictures -Kelderman is using commercial air bags, so how good is compressor?

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
brain wrote:
Sorry I didn't mean on RV.net. Try google and see what pops.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

brain
Explorer
Explorer

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
OP, you might want to do some checking first. I seem to remember there being some issues with Kelderman on the Truck Forums. Perhaps things have improved but better safe then sorry.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know how you like it. I am about to install rear air ride on my '15, though not Kelderman. I may do the front eventually too, depending on how it rides with just the rear.