cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow your Travel Trailer and take your boat

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
Last year i moved from a truck camper to a trailer. I had to figure out how to take a boat with me as i almost always go camping at lakes and i like to explore and go fishing. I downsized my boat, but still needed a way of transporting it. This is my idea i came up with. I made this boat loader using some purchased retail items and customized it to load & unload my boat without any help from friends or wife. I filmed the loading and unloading process, let me know what you think!
Link is for my youtube video. Home made boat loader

Cost me about $500

So far i have used it about 10 times, and i am going to add one thing to it. Some plates on the outside of the rollers that will come up higher then the roller so there is no way the boat can slide off the side when loading/unloading.
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.
18 REPLIES 18

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the positive comments 🙂 Happy Camping!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very, Very, Cool :C

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very nice job.
Good on you!

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
I threatened my wife that after I retire, I'm going to head to Port Hardy and follow the fish south. It looks like you've got a set up to do that on the Inside for sure...
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

bcsslc
Explorer
Explorer
Well done.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Where there is a will there is a way! :B

Nice job.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dirtpig wrote:
pira114 wrote:
Quick question.

The video suggests you off load directly into the water on the launch. Are you then facing directly into the water? It would seem so. I'm assuming two things. Your motor is lightweight and you'd need to get a bit wet. Just curious.

But awesome idea and execution. I have a buddy with a very similar boat and problem. I'll forward this to him.

Yes I offload directly into the water, i back the truck up to the shore of the lake and offload the boat into about 3 inches of water. The bow then faces out into the lake. At that point i unhook the back rope connections and then spin the boat around and unhook the bow connection. I would either wear boots if cold out or sandals in summer weather.

The engine i use is a 9.9 HP yamaha 4stroke ands its the most basic model available weighing about 89lbs. I just take it out of the back of the truck bed and stick it on the boat.

Awesome. I assumed a small motor, but was curious.

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
mdprowash wrote:
Looks good... but this is not a new idea....

You are right, there are many commercially available products that do the same thing better. The cost of them is $2500-$3000. Which is why i wanted to make my own and go cheap lol

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
pira114 wrote:
Quick question.

The video suggests you off load directly into the water on the launch. Are you then facing directly into the water? It would seem so. I'm assuming two things. Your motor is lightweight and you'd need to get a bit wet. Just curious.

But awesome idea and execution. I have a buddy with a very similar boat and problem. I'll forward this to him.

Yes I offload directly into the water, i back the truck up to the shore of the lake and offload the boat into about 3 inches of water. The bow then faces out into the lake. At that point i unhook the back rope connections and then spin the boat around and unhook the bow connection. I would either wear boots if cold out or sandals in summer weather.

The engine i use is a 9.9 HP yamaha 4stroke ands its the most basic model available weighing about 89lbs. I just take it out of the back of the truck bed and stick it on the boat.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Very Cool set up, looks easier than loading my Kayak.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

mdprowash
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good... but this is not a new idea....

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Nice. :C

Thanks for sharing.

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
Nice! Very nice!!
Times fun when you're having flies!