cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lance 1985 or 1995 use with slide in?

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am interested in either a Lance 1985 or 1995 trailer.

With the slide IN--can a person access the bathroom, get the refrigerator open, and squeeze around in the kitchen enough to make a quick snack?

There is only one Lance dealer reasonably close to me. That dealer has the 1985 listed in the $40K to $42K range, but a nationwide search on RVTrader shows listings from $47K to $35K.

This same dealer has the 1995 listed in the $36K-$37K range. Nationwide listings range from $44K to $30K.

There is no obvious reason for the 1985 to be as much as $6K higher. If anything, the 1985 is about 6" shorter.

Any tips on negotiating a price downward? I might not have much success without some competition for this dealer.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
6 REPLIES 6

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the info, everyone. It's very helpful.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

janedoe4955
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new 2017 Lance 1985 after selling our 5er; we’ve been full-timing for 10 years and recently bought a small home-base in AZ. The dealer had both the 1985 and the 1995 on the lot. We liked the 1985 better for a number of reasons, but this one had everything on our list (roadster interior, sofa option, etc.) and didn’t have the extra options we don’t care about (back-up camera, pull-out storage tray, keyless entry). We can both get into the fridge and into the bathroom with the slide in; we are not large people-me 5’6” 125, him 5’10” 190. It might be difficult for large or heavier folks. We paid $32,513 INCLUDING dealer prep - 2 batteries, orientation, detail, 3 full tanks propane - AND title-registration. AZ sales tax extra ($2500). GREAT DEAL at Tom’s Camperland Mesa AZ.
Can’t wait to head out on our first trip.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. I just ask the dealer to email me the "sticker" (one salesman called it the "invoice", which is not correct, as it is not the actual dealer invoice) for whichever unit I am considering, and I get it. The left side shows the standard features, and the right column shows the options installed on the unit.

Good luck!
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 1685, the fridge door opens about a foot and no problem accessing the bathroom with the slideout in. I believe the only difference between the 1685 & 1985 is the queen bed turns sideways, not walkaround, in ours.

The difference in pricing for dealer prep and delivery is interesting. We bought our Lance in Illinois (north of Chicago) and were told that Lance ships trailers in two different ways - on their own tires, or on a flatbed. Ours came on a flatbed, so no cross country miles before we even took delivery. Might want to ask if your dealer is in Tennessee. Who knows, maybe all cross country deliveries are flatbed, but that wasn't the impression we were given.

We love our Lance. Here's a blog post I wrote: Why We Love Our Lance 1685
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
avoidcrowds wrote:
I am looking at both models, also. Pricewise, with the same options, they are the same price. Same base price for each model. So, the difference in price is based on options, and dealer fees. You must compare the Build Sheets to see what is missing from the cheaper ones.

Different dealers charge different freight and prep charges. I have two dealers within 2.5 hours of me, and there is a difference of $900 in freight, and about $1,000 in dealer prep.

Decide what options you must have, and what extras you are willing to pay for. Check the Build Sheets for each unit, to make sure that you are comparing identical units, or units with almost the same options. PM me if you want a Build Sheet from Lance, so you can see the available options, and check which ones you want, to make sure nothing is missing from your preferences.

Oh, yes. A skinny person can get into the bathroom with the slide in on the 1985; no problem at all in the 1995. I believe the fridge can be accessed with the door open about a foot, in either model, with the slide closed.

Thanks for the info on the slideouts. I will be looking at these in person at some point, just narrowing down the possibilities.

I think the build sheet with all the available options is on the Lance website.

Am I correct in thinking that the dealer should have a list similar to the build sheet, showing the options that are installed on each unit?

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at both models, also. Pricewise, with the same options, they are the same price. Same base price for each model. So, the difference in price is based on options, and dealer fees. You must compare the Build Sheets to see what is missing from the cheaper ones.

Different dealers charge different freight and prep charges. I have two dealers within 2.5 hours of me, and there is a difference of $900 in freight, and about $1,000 in dealer prep.

Decide what options you must have, and what extras you are willing to pay for. Check the Build Sheets for each unit, to make sure that you are comparing identical units, or units with almost the same options. PM me if you want a Build Sheet from Lance, so you can see the available options, and check which ones you want, to make sure nothing is missing from your preferences.

Oh, yes. A skinny person can get into the bathroom with the slide in on the 1985; no problem at all in the 1995. I believe the fridge can be accessed with the door open about a foot, in either model, with the slide closed.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road