cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

leaf spring broken..trailer legs?

dougbo44
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if using the product "Trailer Legs" cause/promote broken leaf springs?
12 REPLIES 12

dougbo44
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks one and all.....I have used these (Trailer Legs) for 3-4 years now for long term storage (winter) and they work perfectly! Recently noticed broken leaf spring on right side after setting up on "Legs", hence my question.......During my repair of spring, I discovered that same spring was replaced prior to my purchase (used). My dealer thinks the spring I replaced was wrong spring and simply broke again....

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
dougbo44 wrote:
Does anyone know if using the product "Trailer Legs" cause/promote broken leaf springs?
No issues as far as I am concerned. What are your concerns?

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
I am leery about putting anything inboard of the spring saddles. As for stability,the only flex they remove is that of the tires. The springs will still flex.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
dougbo44 wrote:

I don't see any way they could cause a spring to break.
The Brand maybe new but the lifting devise for one or all axles for working on the suspension or storing the trailer for winter isn't new.
Several similar devices/brands have been around for years that lift the trailer from the axles next to the Ubolts. https://seasense.com/collections/trailering/products/easy-lift-jack
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Well stated.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ProjectMon
Explorer
Explorer
They appear to provide 3 benefits...
1. They reduce the width between the things in contact with the ground, thus creating a less stable trailer.
2. They raise your trailer up on plastic supports that, when they deteriorate and break, the fall will likely damage your trailer.
3. They separate you from money that could be used for something you need or at least beer.

OK. So really only one benefit for the manufacturer, your money. ๐Ÿ™‚
2021 Dutchman Kodiak Ultra-Light 283BHSL
2019 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
ProPride 3P

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So theyโ€™re marketing these as not only increased stability when camping, but also as storage devices.
For camping it appears they would literally only be useful on level sites (which Iโ€™m sure many are, however I can think of vary few instances where Iโ€™ve camped with any RV that a little side to side leveling isnโ€™t required.). So theyโ€™re of limited usefulness there.
And the garbage they spew about the advantages for trailer storage sounds like it was cut and pasted out of a late night infomercial with the late Billy Mays!

OP, like many posts you didnโ€™t even begin to explain if your question is out of curiosity or youโ€™ve sustained some damage you think might be attributed to trailer legs. But regardless, they seem like another solution looking for a problem that doesnโ€™t exist.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't imagine they'd affect the springs negatively. The only issue I see is they're shown supporting the axle inboard of the spring perch/u-bolts, which is contrary to axle mfgrs. requirement not to "jack" on the axles.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
It does apply some different forces from what the suspension was designed for but probably not. Of course, axle manufacturers say not to jack up on the axle tubes.

Bigger question is what do you think you are fixing?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
From watching the videos the only way I can see it damaging the springs is if the legs unit is not installed correctly, or placed off center on a spring. Otherwise it appears to do what it was intended to do without damaging anything.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you're talking about hoisting the whole trailer to "stabilize" per the company's claim, it puts no additional load on the springs.

To further that, there is virtually nothing you could do to the trailer in a static situation that would put more stress on the springs than the dynamic loading that is present while underway.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trailer Legs website.
I don't have nor have I ever used them but they look like they would be more work than just using boards. I see they did use boards in the video to raise the axle enough to get the jacks under it.
Also don't see why they would cause any damage to the springs if used.
I would save my money.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine