cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaking Marker Lights

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
I've been working two RV projects side by side, restoring an old 1953 Angelus Park Model trailer and my 1987 11' Alpine Western Wilderness Camper. With all the overtime I work (average Monday-Friday = 55 hours) it's hard to find time for the projects.

I bought the camper for $1200 last winter, hauled it home and put it in my big garage. I replaced all the roof vents (except fridge) including the escape hatch. I removed some windows and reset them with new butyl tape, and went through several tubes of Sikaflex caulk, carefully sealing everything. I used self leveling on the roof and generous amounts of Rustoleum white paint on faded parts.

I had plumbing issues, the old gray 1/2 inch plastic stuff had some leaks that happily I was able to repair quite easily with "sharkbite" fittings. I had to rewire the camper plug to truck with a new pigtail, and I upgraded the charge line from the truck to the camper with a much heavier gauge wire than the factory truck harness provided.

(I've shared some of these pictures in other post)

So I finally rolled my camper out of the garage this weekend, even though I had no plans to use it just yet, and we had some torrential rain come through. Yikes, I found water inside my camper in two places, both near side marker lights, and both those areas show water damage from leaks left unfixed.

The image above is on the inside of my camper, the marker lights have housings I have removed for inspection. Water was weeping in and dripping off the wires, not from above, but from the light fixture.

Above is what all the running lights look like on my old camper. And below is what I have ordered to replace them with.

So today I ordered all new LED marker lights for my camper, I'm going to remove all 14 of them and fix that problem before I take it on the road. I ordered what appears to be a real close match to the original equipment.

The old camper has quite a bit of d-lamination of the fiberglass outer skin, seen in the picture below (hey, it's a $1200 camper).

Does any one know of a way to find the the aluminum framing behind the skin? I'd like to rivet the skin back to the frame where it's bulging out, but my basic stud finder doesn't work on this aluminum framing. My stud finder in 25 years old with just red and green lights. Is there something newer these days that might work better?

Thanks for looking, Hans
2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 REPLIES 5

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Nice work. Shocked that I saw so much work for a thread about leaking marker lights!

Well I had hoped that I could make new friends at the NW camper rally with my old camper, and after spending so much time to make the old camper moisture proof it was a bit of a let down to find out two lights leaking. Actually, more are probably leaking, but the easiest to access ones revealed themselves first. The new lights shipped today so hopefully I'll have them installed soon.

Funny though, as old as that camper is every single bulb was working, inside and outside.

And I may well just live with the bulging fiberglass siding. It really expands in the sun, and then at night it shrinks back almost tight. Hans
2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice work. Shocked that I saw so much work for a thread about leaking marker lights!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Rivets are a huge leak point. Riveted boats leak like a sieve.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think if you push in on the siding with your thumb, it will be soft until you are pushing on the aluminum tubing. I do not think you will have to push very hard, so you will not dent the siding. In all probability. the aluminum tubing is 1".

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Many of those old clearance lights had a weep hole in the bottom of the lense cover for any water from a leak or condensation to drain out. Some covers may get installed with the drain pointed up which results in it filling with water.
The hole in the outside skin should be just small enough for the wires. We used butyl tape packed around the wires/hole to stop any leaks into the camper.

Can't help you on finding a stud on a aluminum frame unit other than pecking with a soft mallet.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides