cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leaving fresh water in tank?

ragged_claws
Explorer
Explorer
We sanitized the 32gal. freshwater tank a couple of weeks ago before taking our new TT for a test run at our local campsite. Came home with about 1/3 tank left. We have another camping trip planned for a couple of weeks from now. Should I drain the tank and refill before our next trip or just top it off? Generally, is it bad to leave water in the freshwater tank for long periods of time, or is it better to store it dry?

Thanks,
Kim
34 REPLIES 34

d_denver
Explorer
Explorer
I always fill ours as it is a great source of emergency water if needed.
2002 34' Holiday Rambler Pusher
2005 VW Convertible toad
2008 Dodge 4x4 "Power Wagon" toad

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Husband forgot to drain the hot water tank once. Never again. The smell was terrible after a few weeks and it had to be drained and sanitized. I am sure it would not make a difference in the fall or spring if we knew it was not going to freeze.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I leave my 60 gal water tank full year around except when it's freezing..I drain and refill about once a month with fresh water.When were heading out to camp,I always drain and refill with fresh water before we leave.

Water through the system tastes exactly the same as out of the kitchen faucet.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Water from most city water systems have enough chlorine in them that you can easily let it sit for a month with no problems.

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
fallsrider wrote:
So far, I have only filled my tank at home (city water), so I just leave it in there. No problems yet.

15 years and always filled from home which is "city" water. Whatever is in the tank when returning from a camp outing remains until next time. That means 1/2 to 1/3 full until next trip out when I just top off. Usually no more than 3-5 weeks between trips and often less. I do drink the water from my tank and taste stays the same. (Many don't drink their tank water) I only drain if its set more than a few months and then fill. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
I leave mine topped off with our city water full of chloramines.
I will first drain any water from unknown sources obtained while camping.

This is also my thoughts.

Brian

elivi8
Explorer
Explorer
I keep it full. When I dump at the end of a trip I top off the water so that the next time I go out and I don't have to mess around with filling it and I am good to go.
2012 F-150 EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow
2019 Outdoors Timber Ridge 27BHS
490 Watts of Solar

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on well water so while sitting between uses I run everything within 2 weeks. The water heater will start to stink so I put 10 or 15 gallons in, fire up the water heater till hot and turn power off, Run water through all the lines hot and cold and then let the tank drain.

If I dont do this I will need to soak the hwh with vinegar again as it wont clear the odor by just running water through it. I think comes under the saying that my grandfather had......if you dont use it, you lose it.

It happened even when keeping the hwh drained.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
So far, I have only filled my tank at home (city water), so I just leave it in there. No problems yet.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Drain. Before leaving the CG - after dumping and rinsing - we add just a small amount of water to be able to get about 5 gallons + chemicals into the black tank and enough for me to do a bit of cleanup at home. After that, drain.

We left water in the FW tank ONCE. Kept noticing a funky smell after a couple of weeks and kept getting worse. We checked for dead something, spoiled food, everything. Then happened to turn on the faucet. Bingo! Drained, sanitized and have never left water in it since. Some folks have never had a problem, but our one time was plenty. We drain.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I will drain mine if the last fill up was from a questionable supply.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I leave mine topped off with our city water full of chloramines.
I will first drain any water from unknown sources obtained while camping.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I drain.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ragged_claws
Explorer
Explorer
Opinions seem to be evenly divided between empty tank and leaving water in it. We are on city water here but it's from a well and very hard. There are low point drains on the freshwater system as well as the main gate valve drain. I assumed that I was completely draining the tank, but maybe not. Keep the opinions coming. I appreciate the input.

Kim

Eyetattoo
Explorer
Explorer
If you are on city water its fine to leave the water in the tanks. With well water you could add some chlorine so you can keep water in the tank and then just drain and refill before your trip. I personally dont like leaving any of my tanks dry.
2015 2500HD Duramax LTZ Crew Cab
2005 26' Attitude Toy Hauler
2007 GSXR600
2004 YFZ450
2006 TRX90
2013 Raptor 90
2007 Raptor 350

Is it time to camp yet?!