cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving the TC world for a trailer

Reelescape1
Explorer
Explorer
Am I CRAZY?? DW and I have decided to part with our 2011 Lance 855 in favor of a 23' Airstream. It's a little older at 2008 but I have known the owner 20+ years. I won't be able to tow the boat in one shot unless we take two vehicles, but we will be upgrading to a dry shower and a good bit more room. We will see....I might be back one day!
17 REPLIES 17

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
What's a dry shower?

I had a TT and loved it. Bought a camper this time.

Two completely different units and to me they cater to two different lifestyles.

To me the biggest advantage to the camper is I can take it way back in further than I could a TT.

I don't mind the smaller living quarters as I never spend a lot of time inside. I'm gone all day on my ATV. The camper is just a base camp for me.

I'll bet you'll love your Airstream.
Camp Host, from the other side.

urbex
Explorer
Explorer
I too do the TC out of necessity, not desire. Most of the time I also have either a Suzuki Samurai, or an International Scout in tow with me on camping trips, and a toy hauler capable of handling a 5,000lb 4x4 is way, WAY out of my budget. I briefly considered a doubles setup, with a small TT plus the car hauler trailer behind it, but really didn't want to find myself in area at some point that takes a dim view on RV'ers pulling doubles.
1990 Ford F350 CCLB DRW 7.3 4x4
1990 Lance LC980 truck camper

tmartin000
Explorer II
Explorer II
Done both twice.

I currently am in the truck camper phase again. If I didn't boat, there is no way I'd do a truck camper.
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest holding onto your Lance for about a year, then you won't have to buy another if you decide you miss the TC.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
good luck. personally I hate towing, I find it to be a royal pain. Its a necessary evil to haul our horses to the shows. We camp year round in snow, rain, muddy roads, heat, winds. The TC on a 4x4 suits me just fine year round. No way I want to haul a trailer in snow mud or ice and I find those conditions lead to my favorite trips
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Long as you're under 6' tall, an air stream won't be too bad :).
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
We are fortunate. We went with both a 35 Foot TT and a TC. TT is for our 4 month seasonal stay and TC for shorter trips.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's funny -- we are TT folks who are always looking at TCs! We really prefer the TT as a "basecamp." Much more interior room and storage. But a TC is so nimble.

Life is a series of compromises.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
We have both. I don't know which I would get rid of if I had to choose one.
Truck camper was the way to go to Alaska and the rest of the north country, BUT the trailer sure was nice in Florida last month. TT has more room to sit and a dry bath and more storage, but the TC got us to places the trailer wouldn't want to go!
If you can afford it hold onto the camper for a while to make sure you are good with the trailer.
Safe travels in which ever you choose.
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Truck camper in the late 70s/early 80's Travel trailer in the late 80s..... Full timed for 9 years in a 5th wheel AND a camper, bought another house in the late 90s and kept the camper...switched to a travel trailer with the thought of my mother living in it in my back yard, but she passed away in 2011... sold the trailer and have my dream camper now. Hope to keep it until I can't climb up on the bed. Then perhaps it will be a fiver again.. Time will tell! 🙂

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I won't list all the RV I have owned in 30 years, but would I not have dually, sure TT is the way to go and best bang for sq-ft.
Had one towed behind Mercedes ML320 and friends following me in cars had hard time to keep up with me. 😉
That is if you have good place to keep it off-season.
Enjoy RV no matter what you have.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a TC since 2004. Recently, we bought an R-Pod. We'll keep both and use them for different applications.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to get a 5th wheel pretty soon but plan on keeping the TC as well.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
1970's....truck camper
1980's...kids & Class C
1990's...kids too busy to travel and didn't want to be seen with us
2000's...5th wheel, another 5th wheel and added a truck camper.
2010's...I would trade the 5th wheel for a high quality (Bigfoot) travel trailer, but it doesn't make financial sense..
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive