cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leaving trailer on site

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Quick question. For the first time I will be leaving my trailer on site about 150 miles away. Will be there about a month for business (part time residence) Other than shutting off water supply, taking out perishable food, leaving fridge on electric, stabilizers down, awning up, windows cracked with a tub o damprid in it. Is there anything else I should have done? Thanks for all the help.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo
13 REPLIES 13

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
"backyard of an empty house we rented" would make me more concerned than some of the other things. Granted, you'll be there on weekends, but your routine could easily be noticed. Probably should let the neighbors on either side know what's what and have your contact # and also the local police. Ours are wonderful about running extra patrol through our neighborhood when we're gone.

You might try putting a lamp on a timer and changing times each weekend before you leave...makes it look like someone's home. Might also ask a neighbor to park one of their cars in the driveway from time to time.

Other than security, sounds like you've got it covered. We had a rental house ONCE and we spent 4 months going every weekend, sometimes taking off work on Fridays too. Thought we were going to die before we had it ready to sell. Rental property is not for sissies. Good luck.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
We leave our tt at a campground and use it on weekends. We have been doing this 5 years. When we leave we just shutoff the water, roll up the awning and close all windows. We leave the propane on for the fridge and the water heater on so we have hot water when we get there. This is what works for us, might not for others.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
No worries with hot water. Probably will fire just two or three times a day.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
dockmasterdave wrote:
Thanks for the good advice and opinions. I hope the WH survives till Friday. I'll certainly try closing the windows. Does that hold true in south Florida? Gets kinda warm here. It's running 85 during the day now and fairly dry. Rainy season starts in a couple months. Opinions are greatly appreciated.
If you have electric I would leave A/C on set the thermostat at 80 to 85 and it will help control the humidity.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the good advice and opinions. I hope the WH survives till Friday. I'll certainly try closing the windows. Does that hold true in south Florida? Gets kinda warm here. It's running 85 during the day now and fairly dry. Rainy season starts in a couple months. Opinions are greatly appreciated.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If your going to be there every weekend then leave the fridge on and the windows closed with the Damp Rid. It will stay drier inside that way.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
dockmasterdave wrote:
We will be there every weekend making house repairs. Figured I could leave clothes and some food, that would still be good.
Wondering if I'm going to fry the water heater? Should still be full of water, doesn't have an electric element.
Learned a valuable lesson. Turn off gas at the tank. DUH. Well it's our first time ever leaving it. It's always at a CG with us in it, or in our backyard. Till now.

WH will be OK........it's full of water and burner will cycle on/off but as long as no water leaks it'll just waste some propane.

If you are going to leave food in fridge....leave fridge on gas and just turn WH OFF when you leave.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

tglazier
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you leave the windows cracked and Damprid inside the trailer? i would leave the windows closed IMO.
Retired USAF living in the Pacific NW USA
2014 Trail-Lite Crossover 200S

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
We will be there every weekend making house repairs. Figured I could leave clothes and some food, that would still be good.
Wondering if I'm going to fry the water heater? Should still be full of water, doesn't have an electric element.
Learned a valuable lesson. Turn off gas at the tank. DUH. Well it's our first time ever leaving it. It's always at a CG with us in it, or in our backyard. Till now.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

sbowman871
Explorer
Explorer
I would shut down the fridge. After taking perishables out, may not be much to keep cold for a month.
2010 Everlite 29FK
2011 Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost Max Tow 3.73
Parkit 360

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
It's not at a CG. It's in the back yard of an empty house we had rented. We are going back and forth to fix all the damage the renters left us. I turned off water supply and pump. Gas is on in case power went out, fridge could still run, but I forgot to turn off the water heater. I didn't drain water just drained pressure off. How much trouble am I in?
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turn water heater off.

Leave a contact number with office.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'