cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's talk about truck campers shall we...

jtrux
Explorer
Explorer
I used to full time in a 28' Salem a few years ago and once I got my job situation together I sold it and bought a house. Since selling it i've yearned for another camper but this time to do what they were meant to do...CAMP!!! Living in one is ok but it got old.

I never really thought too much about the truck campers until I went to a buddy's house a few days ago and he showed me his new (to him) '07 Lance 845 (I think that's the one he has) and I was hooked. He has it loaded on his '06 Megacab Dodge and he obviously has no issues with that big Cummins pulling that but i'm concerned about my truck.

I have a 1993 Chevy 2500 4X4 with a 454 and NV4500 (5 speed). Even though my truck pulls pretty much I want, i'm a little nervous about the idea of having 2500+ lbs in the bed.

This is what I like...http://www.lancecamper.com/lance-850-truck-camper-main.php

What are some thoughts on this???

Also any other good recommendations for a nice longbed truck camper that might be a little lighter but still have a toilet and AC (all I really care about)
13 REPLIES 13

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea of what type of camping your planning on. But just as food for thought have you considered a popup truck camper? You can get all the emenities in just about anything.
I purchased one that had been backed into something and the wood around the top was rotted but the canvas kept the bottom dry. I fixed it up and with my 97 chevy K2500 454 averaged 13.4 mpg on a 13,000 mi trip. All kinds of roads. We went to AK back via San Fran, Pikes Peak, TX then home.
The lower wind resistance was great. I was grossing 11,000. I did have 19.5" tires rated at 5,000 each and Air-Lift air bags.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Sheriffdoug
Explorer
Explorer
G'day,

Take a look at Travel Lite & Adventurer.

Go to Adventurer: www.amlrv.com

www.travellitecampers.com

Good Luck!
2012 Ram 4x4 Crew Laramie LB 3500 HO Auto diesel
Eagle Cap 1160 Super Springs Big Wig Sway Bar Front Timbrens, Fastguns
RearCam SolarPnl Expdtion Shvel/Axe Kit
Thermopane Windows,, Dcted Heat & R/cycle aircon
Genset WoblStopprs

elkhornsun
Explorer
Explorer
The lightest full size campers I have found are the Wolf Creek which are made by the same company that makes the Arctic Fox campers. I have an 845 and fully loaded it weighs in at 3700 lbs. (3200 lbs. dry weight).

Lance is not a good place to look for a lightweight camper for a truck with a long bed. Wolf Creek and Northern Lite campers are going to be more difficult to find on the used market but the lighter the camper the more gear, passengers, water, etc. you can carry.

Regardless, plan on upgrading your shocks, adding SuperSprings, and possibly upgrading your tires depending upon the total load capacity of the rear tires. 95% of the weight is carried by the rear axle and its wheels.

MKish
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Northstar campers are a little lighter than some (most models are narrow) and while they aren't luxurious, you can certainly get AC and a cozy bathroom. And more luxury than a Capri. 🙂

We did like the Lances though. Cushy! But too fat to fit in our backyard!

jtrux
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at the Palomino Bronco truck campers and the ones i'm looking at are around 1600lbs give or take. I still need to figure out how much I can load in the dang truck but i'd be willing to be that if I could keep it all around 2000 i'd be completely happy with it but i'll be doing more research from here on out.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest that you choose your camper wisely and don't go too heavy. Remember, if you can find a lightweight camper you can always put it on a heavier truck. My Avion is 2,800# wet, and I won't put it on my Ford F-350 SRW. A 1 Ton dually is perfect for my camper, even though the SRW will haul it, I don't feel that comfortable with that much weight on the truck. By the time I load all my "stuff" the truck will be over 10,000#. Since my F-350 is a 4X4 extended cab, it is about 7,500# wet, with no load in it. Some folks don't mind going over the GVW of the truck, I try to keep mine within the factory specs.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

jtrux
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought new tires for it, Michelin AT2 E rated. I'll have to check the capacity of them but they are 265/75's. I REALLY like them.

Anyways, travelnutz, I really appreciate the post. I figure if anything i'll get some airbags and i've even considered all new rear springs since they are 20 years old. The truck only has 129K on it so it's in pretty good shape and the engine pulls very well.

I'll look at all the other options everyone else has listed as I really need to do some more research.

Josh

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a 1993 Chevy 2500 ext cab 4X4 LB with a 5.7 auto purchased new. We hauled a Lance Squire 4000 (9-1/2') with a dry base wt before options of 2353 lbs and when loaded with the options was 2784 lbs dry on the shipping tag. Add your water/gear/food/my 2' X 8' steel rear porch with our Honda EU2000 generator on it and the 22 X 30 X 14 storage box filled with a hookup needs 2 extra 30 amp powercords, leveling 2 X 10s, 12 ton hydraulic jack, etc. Yup, way over 3000 lbs. I still have the Lance brochure as I keep them for every RV and vehicle we purchase. They come in handy!

Truck hauled that Lance setup to Alaska and back from Michigan twice and to every state of the lower 48. Much of Canada also. Sold the truck to a farmer friend about 50 miles north of here in 2004 and he's still using it to haul loads and has over 300,000 on it now and still has the same engine, tranny, and airbags. We own the land next to his farm and see him and the truck a lot. We drove the truck over 100,000 miles with the Lance on. Never had one problem with the truck or it's handling. Yes, I did do some upgrades to the truck before loading the Lance. 265/75/16 "E" Michelin tires when the OEM 245's wore out at a little over 30,000 miles. Added Air-Lift Systems 5,000 lb airbags and very heavy shocks (Ranchos). Inflated the bags to 40-45 lbs.

The OEM tires are usually the lowest limiting weight capacity.

Assuming your frame etc is in good condition, you should not have a problem hauling the 850 Lance on your truck but I would suggest the larger tires 3415 lbs vs 3042 lbs each (373 lbs each tire), good airbags, and very heavy duty shocks. Tried Timbrens (rubber type overlaods) and found the airbags head and shoulders better as they are infinitely adjustable to loads and road conditions.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Hey_there
Explorer
Explorer
Hi again,

When tc mfg's use the term "Lite" they mean light on amenities, not light weight. For light weight, look at Capri Campers' Rodeo Deluxe.

Kurt
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CC LB 6.0
1993 Lance Squire Lite 150 (8'6")
2001 Fleetwood Caribou 11J (11'6")

Hey_there
Explorer
Explorer
Hi jtrux,

Welcome to the truck camper forum. You will find that most (all?) tc's weigh a lot more than the "given" weight. That mfg's number is for a basic camper with no options. Most tc's weigh about several hundred pounds more than the "given" weight. Figure that loaded and ready to go camping, you will be 1000# more than the advertised weight. You need to find what your truck's carrying capacity is. Get it weighed at a truck stop. Get the weight on the front axle, and the weight on the back axle, separately, so you can determine how much available capacity you have on each axle. The Lance website gives good directions on how to determine your truck's capacity. All that said, you could probably carry the load OK. Maybe new shocks or an additional leaf spring.

Best of luck,

Kurt
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CC LB 6.0
1993 Lance Squire Lite 150 (8'6")
2001 Fleetwood Caribou 11J (11'6")

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking for "light", you won't find it with Arctic Fox. They are well built TCs but they are also heavy.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, it is possible to put a camper run a smaller older truck, but easier if you pick the camper first and choose a newer truck.

There are few threads from time to time about lighter campers. Besides Lance, Sixpac comes up quite a bit. Host used to make some lighter campers. For light popups, take a look at Four Wheel Campers.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Arctic Fox made Northwood Mfg., in La Grande, Or. They have been a front runner in Truck RV's for many years. Lars

http://www.northwoodmfg.com/
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright