cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leveling TT W/ A Large Slide (or 2)

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Our last tt only had a 6' long, 18" deep slide and I never noticed any settling to the slide side after we were all set up, just the normal- need to snug all 4 scissor jacks up a little after a few hours/overnight.

So with our new Jayco 32 BHDS having 2 deep slides, couch/dinette and a bunk room slide, will it settle a lot once set updue to the size of the slides? Should we level a little toward the curb (+1" or so) so once the slides are out it will be level for the fridge?

We pick up our new rig tomorrow, and have a trip this w/e, so just trying to get ready (including packing it Fri! Lol).

TY!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.
28 REPLIES 28

Chowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I level with the slide side high, drop the stabilizers, extend the slide and hope the door to the head stays closed. If the trailer is not level to slide side high the door to the head swings open. We don't latch it because the cat's litter box is there.
If we did not have the cat we would not notice the problem because the door would be latched. If we did not have the cat we would not have the trailer, we would just use my inordinate amount of frequent flyer miles to travel and stay in beds that might have bugs. ????

Lspangler
Explorer
Explorer
Get your trailer level with the slides out, then pull your slides in and add a stick on level to your trailer showing it is level with the slides in even though it isn't.

I did this on mine and we now get it level every time. With the slides out it shows we are leaning and I always panic before remembering what I did!!

Linc

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was one that levels side to side with slide side slightly higher. I have been putting the stabilizers down before putting the slide out, but it really does not matter if you are only using them to stabilize. If you are using them to level (as some do), then I recommend putting them down before the slide goes out (at least on the slide side) with slide side slightly higher, you will have to snug the stabilizers on the side away from slide after putting the slide out.

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
CampingN.C. wrote:
I've looked at mine with and without the slides out and there's hardly any difference,maybe a 1/4 bubble. I wouldn't change your current set up habits.
I do however, set it just a fudge tongue low to help keep water IN the shower, this helps when you have small kids believe me. I think I'm going to add a third set of stabilizers to it sometime soon too, somewhere in the middle.
Agree with the tongue low for the shower too!
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
Count me in as well with the level it up (about a 1/4 bubble off), put out the slides, and then stabilizers. My slides and trailer are almost identical to the OPs as well.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for leveling a touch high on the slide side. You'll get a good feeling for just how much. As a guess I'd say I go 1/2" high and the bubble seems to fall right in the middle when the slides come out. Just play around with it on the new TT and you'll get the hang of it.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I've looked at mine with and without the slides out and there's hardly any difference,maybe a 1/4 bubble. I wouldn't change your current set up habits.
I do however, set it just a fudge tongue low to help keep water IN the shower, this helps when you have small kids believe me. I think I'm going to add a third set of stabilizers to it sometime soon too, somewhere in the middle.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
jasoncw wrote:
Robbies grandpa wrote:
Not true. Even with the stablilizers down, the trailer will shift on the springs a little with a big slide. I set my trailer up with the slide side high a quarter bubble and when the slide goes out, I am level.

Same here. Further, I do not drop the stabilizer jacks until the slides are out.

This is exactly how I do it. What I have found is that if I check the level with the slide still in, and if it's exactly level, then what I need is to pull the left side tires up onto a couple pieces of 3/4" plywood boards. Now, when the slide goes out, I am again, perfectly level.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
I have electric stabilizers that are not isolated from each other side-to-side and have learned that our TT will settle onto the slide side once we start using the dinette. So we've decided to be about a half-bubble high on the slide side when it is first deployed and let things settle to perfect.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with the crowd that, levels slightly higher on the slides(2) side,put the slides out and THEN put the stabilizers down. If I put the stabilizers down before putting the slides out, the 2 stabilizers on the non-slide side will be loose.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

214skier
Explorer
Explorer
x2 here

I have a big slide. I level with blocks shooting for a degree or so high on the slide side. I chock the wheels, put out the slide and then lower the stabilizers. The trailer definitely settles as the slide goes out. The harder the ground, the less settling. I always have to snug up the stabilizers even if I am parked on cement after a few days.
2016 Grand Design Solitude 377MB

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
pira114 wrote:
Isn't this exactly what slide out stabilizers are for?

Unfortunately, using slide stabilizers can void many trailer warranties as they tend to damage slide outs due to settling.

I use blocks to level side to side and then use RotoChoks to really cut down on any movement. Disconnect from truck and use power jack to level front to rear. Put down stabilizers until snug (I use three 2"x8" blocks under each) and then I open the slides. Our TT has two large slides on opposite sides and a bedroom slide (small one) on the curb side. I have never had a problem with the stabilizers needing to be readjusted. I think the RotoChoks have as much to do with eliminating trailer movement as the stabilizers do.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I level my trailer, more or less, before I unhook then don't worry about in any more. An inch or two here or there isn't going to make any difference.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
I place a 2x8 cut just a little longer than the scissor jack pad (last trailer- hope new trailers jack pad is a little smaller like the old trailer!) and place a 4x6 cut to the same length on top of the 2x8 that the jack sits on. I try to check every morning to snug the jacks up if it seems there is a little wiggle in the trailer.

TY all! Maybe if I keep doing the same set up practice, the darn a/c will drain to the road/ slide side once it settles a little instead of curb side as I mentioned! Lol
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.