Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lifted truck towing :(

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to determine if my math is correct, hoping some of you that understand this better than me can assist.

I have a Dodge ram 1500 ( 2016 ), with a 6" pro-comp lift. It's just spacers, but I do have proper control arms, sway bars, pretty much everything to make it not a budget lift, the only thing still stock is the springs.

With that said, my GVWR is 6900 on my truck, with me, my wife, the lift ( heavy ), and two children, the truck comes in at 6400 pounds, that leaves me with 500 for payload ? meaning i'd have to get a TT in the 5k range, is that correct ?

I've added airbags, it gives me 500lbs on each side, effectively, 1k additional payload capacity. I'm trying to tow a TT between 6500, and 7500LBS, the truck itself is rated for 10500, However, due to GVRW i'm concerned i might be over doing it. I had everything professionally installed by a place that sells RV's ( just a coincadence ), so I understand the sales aspect, versus the actual utility aspect of what i'm trying to do. I found a very nice 28foot TT i'd really like to bring home, I'd like to ( using my basic math here ), be sure that i'm in a safe range here. My tires are rated just fine, and my sag will be minimal with the bags in. Any insight would greatly be appreciated.
29 REPLIES 29

chiefcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new truck! Enjoy the coming camping season.
2021 Jayco NorthPoint 382FLRB
2018 Ram 3500HD SRW 6.4L Hemi
2022 Ram 3500HD DRW Cummins HO, Max Tow (on order)

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
As you probably figure out by now. If you think half ton also think about 6500 lbs. loaded for the road TT weight and about 750 lbs. on the tongue.

That will be at or maybe even a bit over your Max Cargo rating, depending on the rest of your camping load.

That is what my 5004 lb. dry weight TT came too when I took it across the CAT scales.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
yillb wrote:
krobbe wrote:
Fifth Wheel? Shoulda got a 1TON!
The fun never ends... :W
Congrats on the new truck!

I purchased the truck first again, I actually somewhat agree, i should have found the trailer, THEN got the truck, but the deal on this 2500 cummins was just to good to pass up, considering my 1500 was literally 2 months old, lol.

While most would agree on 3500 purchase for unknown FW size/weight, you can't pass up a good deal on the 2500. Most say the coil springs ride nice, and if need be the 2500 can easily be brought up to near 3500 SRW standards. No it won't change the sticker limits of a class 2, just the capability.

Jerry

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
krobbe wrote:

I purchased the truck first again, I actually somewhat agree, i should have found the trailer, THEN got the truck, but the deal on this 2500 cummins was just to good to pass up, considering my 1500 was literally 2 months old, lol.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
good call...
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
Bravo, unlike 90% of the people who ask 'should I?' on here and then proceed to ignore the 'No!' you made the right move! Now let's see a picture of the new tow beast.
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Congrats on the new truck!! Those new 2500s sit tall, no lift needed.:) If a FW is what you prefer, now is certainly the time to do it.

Post truck pics, and 5th wheel, when you find what you want.

Jerry

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
I had a big long explanation prepared about the physics and whatnot, but none of it matters. You're 305 lbs over GVWR before you even load any gear, water, or fill the waste tanks in the trailer! Then you're going to do it with a truck that's been lifted by 6" and on 35" tires. Dude, that's heading towards insane. I would seriously take a look at removing the lift, looking at another truck, or much smaller trailers.

Ever watch one of those horror movies, someone goes to open up a door, and you're yelling at the screen, "DON'T DO IT! DON'T DO IT!" That's me right now. 305 lbs over in a half ton is seriously overweight. I had to read that like six times to make sure I was reading it correctly. That's something you can get away with in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton because the components are completely overbuilt. That's not what you get in 1/2 tons, especially in late model Rams. That's not a dig at your truck or Rams, but the trucks have payloads on the lower end of the scale for a reason. They can haul some weight, but the components aren't built as they are in true haulers. MPG and comfort take priority.

If you're hooked on this trailer then do your wife and kids a favor by fixing the truck or upgrading. I'm all for getting to most out of your vehicle and have done plenty of combos over GVWR, but in this situation it's really pushing it.

I appreciate the nice way you worded I'm an idiot, I spoke with my local dealer today, and was able to get 40k for my truck, turned around and purchased a let over 2016 2500 with a cummins, I've also decided if I'm going to get something for me and the family, it miss well be exactly what we want, so I've moved over to fifth wheels.

I appreciate everyone in helping me decide. I understand that common sense should have been the deciding factor, but when you're in an area you don't know, I find it's always good to get input from others that do. While I take most of what people online say with a grain of salt, most of you did it respectfully, you didn't call me names, and you took what I said and provided actual information that was informative.

I stil lion't get the logic of it, but that's neither here nor there, whomever said the engineers as dodge don't know what their doing, albeit sarcastically, I agree, I would say the same thing to someone else who was thinking of doing something with a tool in a field I work in.

Once again fellas, appreciated! Look forward to sharing my new trailer!

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
Having been there, done that, areas you need to consider.

Lift effect on driveshaft. Steeper angles result in higher probability of failure as does the taller tires which mean more torque required to get things rolling.

Taller trucks have more has more sway, roll etc which a trailer can amplify and cause handling issues with.

Taller tires = higher effective gear ratio putting significantly more stress on engine, and drivetrain. Effectively lowers vehicles towing ability a great deal. You have to consider engine and transmission heat dissipation abilities. Also, a tire being basically just a lever, while braking your taller tires require a great deal more of the discs for stopping. Trailer brakes being less than ideal most of the times you may find the brakes to be lacking, especially on a steep decent.

Finally, look up the difference between floating and semi floating axles. It's worth learning why heavy duty trucks use the axle they do, and why increasing the probability of axle failure on a half ton in particular which generally has a semi floating axle might be something you're not willing to risk. Taller tires with high power demands have resulted in my snapping two axles over the years while off roading.

Personally, I think you'll run into more issues with your drivetrain an pulling than you will with load. Either way you're pushing it. How negative the effects will be is hard to say.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a buddie that has a lifted 80's bronco he tows his TT with. He gets away with it but, he doesn't go more then 35 miles on back roads and, he says it is not a lot of fun.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
I see this a lot.
People like to do the lift, and big tires etc. to their truck because it makes it look "tuff".

And in some respects it may be.... But not for towing. Most 4X4 mods actually will lower towing capability... Usually a lot.

People find it hard to believe, but a stock truck is much better than a lifted truck for towing service.

It's almost like the engineers at the major auto companies know what they're doing 😉
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I see this a lot.
People like to do the lift, and big tires etc. to their truck because it makes it look "tuff".

And in some respects it may be.... But not for towing. Most 4X4 mods actually will lower towing capability... Usually a lot.

People find it hard to believe, but a stock truck is much better than a lifted truck for towing service.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I had a big long explanation prepared about the physics and whatnot, but none of it matters. You're 305 lbs over GVWR before you even load any gear, water, or fill the waste tanks in the trailer! Then you're going to do it with a truck that's been lifted by 6" and on 35" tires. Dude, that's heading towards insane. I would seriously take a look at removing the lift, looking at another truck, or much smaller trailers.

Ever watch one of those horror movies, someone goes to open up a door, and you're yelling at the screen, "DON'T DO IT! DON'T DO IT!" That's me right now. 305 lbs over in a half ton is seriously overweight. I had to read that like six times to make sure I was reading it correctly. That's something you can get away with in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton because the components are completely overbuilt. That's not what you get in 1/2 tons, especially in late model Rams. That's not a dig at your truck or Rams, but the trucks have payloads on the lower end of the scale for a reason. They can haul some weight, but the components aren't built as they are in true haulers. MPG and comfort take priority.

If you're hooked on this trailer then do your wife and kids a favor by fixing the truck or upgrading. I'm all for getting to most out of your vehicle and have done plenty of combos over GVWR, but in this situation it's really pushing it.