cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Light weight bunk house manufacturers?

doabbs
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I've been doing a ton of research into what light weigh travel trailers are currently being manufactured that meet my requirements and budget. I've hit a bit of a wall in that I can't seem to find many manufacturers that make something that is affordable and decently built. Below is the research to date and requirements. If anyone has any suggestions of brands I've overlooked please let me know. Also, if any of my wants/needs are wrong let me know.

Background and Budget

Budget $10,000-$20,000

I'm looking for something light weight that is under 5,000 GVWR. I'll be towing with a Toyota Tacoma Automatic V6 4x4 with Towing Package. This will be towed in the mountains and probably 2/3 of the way across the country so wanted to not push the towing limit. I'll be monitoring transmission temperature with a ODB2 scanner just in case.

We are currently a family of 3 and while there are plenty of campers out there with a queen bed plus other convertible beds/couches, I'd really like to go for a bunk house so as the kid(s) grow they have there own bunks/space.

We will be using this camper primarily to dry camp for 2 week chunks from Spring-Fall. I'd also like to take it on a long haul across country to Yellowstone where fall temperatures are a bit chilly at night, so LP consumption is a minor concern.

Nice to haves:
6cu ft fridge/freezer - Need the space for long periods of dry camping
Oven - Would be great to have the option to cook stuff not just on the stove top
Dual 20lb Propane tanks - Dry camping plus cool fall and spring weather means we will eat through the propane when heating coach.
Dual axels - Just would be a bit of piece of mind for both towing stability or if there ever was a single tire failure.

What we've found:

I've found that there are a large number of manufacturers who have this configuration today, queen up front, kitchen area in the middle, then bunks and bathroom in the back. However, most of the ones I've seen from the large manufacturers are just built as entry level models with the cheapest of appliances and features.

High End:

The Lance 2185 is an absolutely gorgeous camper, it even exceeds all requirements in that it has a slide out and is 4 season rated. However, the price point over $30,000 is a deal breaker.

Camplite 21BHS - Another amazing camper but at $29,000 it's over budget and also am nervous about the aluminum floor transferring cold too easily into the coach.

Meets most requirements:
Pacific Coachworks: 16BB floor plans are available in almost all of there product lines, Tango, Econ, and Mightylight. 2016 models have almost an updated construction. They include full 6cu ft fridge and full cooktop and oven. They only feature a single axle and one propane tank but they fall right within the budget. Also, small tank capacities, Fresh Water - 25 gal, Grey Water - 15 gal, Black Water - 10 gal However, I cannot find a dealer outside of the west coast and we are all the way on the opposite side of the country.

Jayco Feather 7 19bh: New model in 2016. No stove, small fridge, single propane tank plenty of dealers available in our region. Vacuum bonded fiberglass walls. If we can't find a Pacific Coachworks and no one suggests anything else, we'd probably buy this one.

Coachman Apex Nano 193BHS- Looks great, similar to Jayco above. Vacuum bonded panels like the Jayco and Pacific. However, bathroom sink is used to operate shower, just seems like a cheap move. Maybe if a super deal came up we'd consider it.

Low end
These all suffer from the same short comings, just cheap bare bones components included.
Starcraft - AR-ONE
Forest River - Multiple Models, Wolf Pup, etc
KZ-Spree
Coleman

So what brands/models have I missed?
29 REPLIES 29

dieseldan723
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting thread. After two 5th wheels and a toy hauler I am looking for a much light trailer that can be towed with a Toyota Tacoma 4X4. Thanks for the info.
Currently looking for my next RV....

SOLD
2014 Keystone Fuzion 301 towed by 07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic CCSB 4X4
2012 Komfort 3530FBH towed by 08 Chevy 3500HD DRW
2006 Forest River Cardinal 33TBH towed by 03 GMC 2500HD

Prodigy 3 brake controller

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Starcraft 28BHS. While that is probably a bit bigger than you're looking for, the launch ultralight series should have what you're looking for in kitchen amenities. Here's a link: http://www.starcraftrv.com/light-weight/launch-ultra-lite/floorplans/22bud/#floorplan-main

doabbs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the feedback and recommendations. I think I have a pretty good idea of what is/isn't out there as well as the expectations for towing with the Tacoma.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The truck will do it, but as mentioned you are pulling two sheets (8'x8') through the air at 60+mph takes a lot of power, so any hills tap into reserve power. Naturally aspirated V6 engines do not have much reserve at 2500-ish RPM I expect you will be cruising at. As long as you understand and expect that ahead of time, you'll be fine. Let the speed float with the hills, speed up down, slow down up. Try to keep the torque converter locked as much as possible.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
doabbs wrote:
APT wrote:
I'm not sure you'll be pleased towing any high walled trailer 2/3 away across the USA with that truck. It should do it, but set your expectations pretty low. Do not expect 2000rpm and 65mph on flat ground let alone up any hills/mountains. Let that V6 sing when needed.

Good to know, so you don't think that it would be able to go 65MPH with any high walled trailer no matter how light? Airborn801 mentioned they pulled one with the same truck without issue. I know it will only get 10MPG but will it not even be able to go highway speeds? Trying not to go too far down this rat hole with TV vs TT in this thread but would be helpful to just abandon this idea if it's not practical.

Not to pull you into the rat hole you mention, but APT has a good point. I don't know what year your Tacoma is, I suspect a newer one with the bigger V6, but we used to own an '04 Tacoma TRD with the 3.4L V6 and tow package. We towed a Funfinder 139 which had a 3500 GVWR (tiny little thing but typical frontal area). APT's description of performance is accurate. At sub-highway speeds the performance is just fine. But once you get the speedometer over about 50 mph it took exponentially more effort for each mph increase. My folks now have this truck and camper and it has made the drive from Montana to Alaska and back a couple times, so clearly it can be done. But don't expect easy towing just because the trailer is relatively light. The small gas tank in the truck was also a bit of a pain, having to fuel up every 150 miles or so means you need to plan your back country trips carefully so you have enough gas to get back to civilization.
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
doabbs wrote:
APT wrote:
I'm not sure you'll be pleased towing any high walled trailer 2/3 away across the USA with that truck. It should do it, but set your expectations pretty low. Do not expect 2000rpm and 65mph on flat ground let alone up any hills/mountains. Let that V6 sing when needed.

Good to know, so you don't think that it would be able to go 65MPH with any high walled trailer no matter how light? Airborn801 mentioned they pulled one with the same truck without issue. I know it will only get 10MPG but will it not even be able to go highway speeds? Trying not to go too far down this rat hole with TV vs TT in this thread but would be helpful to just abandon this idea if it's not practical.

We've been towing with our Frontier for 4 years. Took a 4 week trip out west last year with no problems. Our kids have same truck, same camper except theirs is a bunk model. They took off for the Great Lakes, Mt. Rushmore, etc last summer. Again, no concerns. I have no problem going 65 except up really steep grades. It runs about 2500rpm in 4th and gets 10-11 mpg. Set up correctly, your Tacoma should be fine. I am assuming that you have the 4L in it. The major factor with my truck was keeping payload and tongue weights in line.
Good luck.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

datadr
Explorer
Explorer
bud121156 wrote:
We have a Freedom Express 230BH model. Sticker says 4200 lbs. Dual axle. No slide.

That's a great camper! This was our first and it served us well for about 12,000 miles. We just upgraded this year to have more room, but it was very well built and never had a single problem!

ttavasc
Explorer II
Explorer II
doabbs wrote:

The frontal area of the trailer presents a lot of drag. The added resistance is there regardless of how heavy, or light, the trailer is. You are essentially pulling a vertical sheet of plywood down the road. I'm not familiar with the Tacoma - have you checked to see if there are any frontal area restrictions for towing with it? If so then you want to look for trailers that fit within that measurement as well.
TT: 2019 ORV Timber Ridge 23DBS, Blue Ox SwayPro 15K/1500
TV: 2019 F-250 XLT SuperCab LB, 6.2L, 4.30/e-locker, 164" WB, 4x4, Roadmaster Active Suspension

doabbs
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

doabbs
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
Look at Ameri-lite. Our 25bh is 4200 lbs dry and has most of what you are asking. The tanks are a bit small at 30/27/27.

Thanks, they actually have a number of product lines that might fit the bill.

doabbs
Explorer
Explorer
Airborn805 wrote:
We went with the 2015 Starcraft 19bhs . Absolutely love it and pull it with the same vehicle as yours with no problem. The slide in the back really adds some space and makes the trailer feel bigger than it is. We chosed not to go with a trailer without an oven due to the fact I don't like cooking in the trailer and it added extra storage. We paid $19,500 for it brand new in California.

Reminds me of a lighter version of the Jayco X213.

doabbs
Explorer
Explorer
Airborn805 wrote:
We went with the 2015 Starcraft 19bhs . Absolutely love it and pull it with the same vehicle as yours with no problem. The slide in the back really adds some space and makes the trailer feel bigger than it is. We chosed not to go with a trailer without an oven due to the fact I don't like cooking in the trailer and it added extra storage. We paid $19,500 for it brand new in California.

Reminds me of the Jayco X213, but looks a little lighter.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Keystone Bullet line of Ultralights! You can find a BH under 5000 pounds and still get a slideout for extra room. I have a 2014 Bullet 285RLS TT which is 30 ft long box, 1 slide and weighs 5600. You can find 22, 24, 26 ft BH versions under 5000lbs.. We have had ZERO issues with ours in 1 year and I have seen nothing but positive reviews on this site from Bullet owners. They are loaded with deluxe features and we got ours down from an MSRP of 34,000 to 19,995 and the dealer also gave us a WD hitch, brake controller and power tongue jack. They are made for smaller SUV's like yours. Check them out!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch