cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Loading camper in wind....

COBOZ
Explorer
Explorer
Any advice or issues? Still researching the purchase of a TC,but one thing I was thinking about..what happens when you drop the TC at campsite, then when you ready to go..it's pretty windy out. Putting a 3K lb camper 4 foot in the air doesn't sound like fun.
24 REPLIES 24

COBOZ
Explorer
Explorer
No it's not..for the most part it is fine...but there are those times when you wake up and its windy...thats all my post was about....can you load in the wind...or is it more mental that the camper is swaying while in the air. I currently have a popup slide in I use for elk camp that I can load and unload in 10 minutes, never have done it in strong wind....but I'm talking about going to a 3K plus daddy

COBOZ
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
COBOZ wrote:
The boat ramps here are mad houses..you have to pull off get the boat ready, then go get in line, sometimes a 1/4 mile..to get inspected at the very top..then do down pretty steep ones for awhile, turn around..then back up. Then we launch 2 - 3 times during a weekend at the lake. My whole point behind going to a TC is to drop it to launch a boat and keep my campsite setup, seems like that isn't a wise move...so I might just stay as is and keep the 5th wheel. Something more to think on. Thanks for all the advice.

Your concerns and hang-ups are mostly in your mind. If you load and unload enough it will become routine, and as far as the wind goes... Is it REALLY that windy where you camp?

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can also offer your camping neighbor $20 to temporarily park his motorhome upwind and next to you while you load/unload. :B
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
COBOZ wrote:
The boat ramps here are mad houses..you have to pull off get the boat ready, then go get in line, sometimes a 1/4 mile..to get inspected at the very top..then do down pretty steep ones for awhile, turn around..then back up. Then we launch 2 - 3 times during a weekend at the lake. My whole point behind going to a TC is to drop it to launch a boat and keep my campsite setup, seems like that isn't a wise move...so I might just stay as is and keep the 5th wheel. Something more to think on. Thanks for all the advice.

Your concerns and hang-ups are mostly in your mind. If you load and unload enough it will become routine, and as far as the wind goes... Is it REALLY that windy where you camp?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
See my signature, camper comes off every trip for the last 9 years and never had a problem. It seems that by nature, camping in places that we like to fish can get very, very windy. Be smart about it and you will do fine. Even on extremely windy days, there tends to be a point where there is at least a minor break. i.e. that 25 drops to 15.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

COBOZ
Explorer
Explorer

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
how about a really good backup camera on top of camper roof?
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Cobos,
If backing down a boat ramp is the only reason you want the camper off, do yourself a favor and leave it on. And leave the jacks at home. Of course, I am the self-proclaimed "King of Jacks Off" so take it with a grain of salt. Install a front class III hitch on the truck and carefully reattach the trailer to the front. Turn the trailer around while in the holding area and make the switch. You can see exactly what you are doing, since its a front row seat, and it is easy and slick to marshall the trailer down the ramp. If you have 2WD, the weight of the TC acts as a traction enhancer while backing up the ramp. Be sure to use a spotter when coming back up the ramp to the flat. Pre position the tongue height to just clears the front ball. You will surprised how easy this is, once you have a little practice. The only caveat is to have a couple chocks for the trailer wheels while it's sitting there on its tongue wheel waiting up on the flat for the aft to fore switch. Most boat ramp parking areas are completely flat, for a reason, but I like the belt and suspenders aspect of chocks.
This will save you a lot worry about wind; disconnecting the power and tie downs; kids playing under the off-loaded TC; and re-loading the TC.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

COBOZ
Explorer
Explorer
Wow..you must be so fortunate to live in a place where the weather doesn't change on a dime. I live where it can be calm and (without warning) windy...and I didn't say "gale zone". This question would also apply at home, you are planning a camping trip, wake up to load the camper and its windy..and its windy for the next couple days. Do you postpone everything since its windy??? and I'm talking 10 - 20 mph..maybe 25.....not "gale force". Thanks.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Disconnect them one end at a time as you gently reload.
Then ask a passer by for a swift kick in your ass for unloading a camper in a gale zone in the first place.

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Our flatbed camper is a beast when it is up in the air. At 4500 pounds or so it would squish you flat as a pancake. I trust the mounts we made completely but since I didn't build the jacks I have to hope Reico knew what they were doing.

I read these occasional jack failure stories and shudder.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
jmckelvy wrote:
billtex wrote:
Execute half of the the camper loading from the up wind side, then walk around the other side and load the rest from the down wind side.
Perfect.

:h

Perhaps I need another cup of coffee?

how about always park with nose into the wind? kind of like a boat?
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
Execute half of the the camper loading from the up wind side, then walk around the other side and load the rest from the down wind side.
Perfect.

:h

Perhaps I need another cup of coffee?
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Reddog1 wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
Look at TorkLift Wobblestoppers
How can these help unloading or loading in the wind?

They certainly would make loading a non-issue. Back into them, knock the camper over, problem solved.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.