cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Loading TC with a Dually challenging?

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
SO just kicking around the idea that I MAY get another TC one day and now drive a dually. My fenders look pretty fat in my side mirrors, 96".

My question is, is it super tight loading a TC with swing outs on to a dually? I was pretty good at loading/unloading my previous TC's by myself in about 10 minutes (9-10', electric jacks) and often did camping for more than 2 days. I would load and unload a lot and was pretty comfortable. Previously had SRW Super Duty.

Thanks
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73
30 REPLIES 30

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
Truck camper magazine has an excellent article - check out

Laser To Load Truck Camper - 2014 Top Mod Contest Winner

www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-mods/contests/2014-top-mod-contest-winner/
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

palmwhit
Explorer
Explorer
Whoa.....been loading out Lance 1181 on and off a F-350 dually since late 2005. Never an issue! Sure sometimes you've gotta get realigned but no biggie. I measured a mid point on the front of the cabover and made a mark so I can stop, get out ant gauge if I'm coming in straight by reference to center clearance light on top of cab. Additionally, I measured bed side to side v.s. camper at bed top level. Once done, I mounted a piece of zip tie I cut off at precise distance the rear left bed should be from camper and mounted that at the aft end of P/U bed. I use that as a guide as I back in to let me know if I'm aiming right. Took a little practice at first to get the aim right, but overall it's been a piece of cake. Not to worry, I did it, so can you!

Roadlover
Explorer
Explorer
It is very doable, just take it slow. Iโ€™ve been doing this for five years, but have never come up with a quick way of loading the camper. Do it slowly and get out of the truck as many times as you feel you need, to view your clearances. Iโ€™m happy for those who say they can load their camper in a few minutes and ready to hit the road, but I have not developed any sure way of doing it quickly.
"The Journey is the Destination"

2015 GMC Denali 3500 DRW Duramax/Allison
TorkLift Talon Tiedowns, StableLoads and FastGuns with Locks

2012 Arctic Fox 1150 with Dry Bath with Fox Landing and Wobble Stoppers

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Area13 wrote:
Thanks all for the input. Sounds like not a huge deal with practice and help initially. Miss having a TC, a LOT.

Hey Clint, Hopefully we will welcome you back. Yes the DRW is tighter with the fenders but once they pass the front jacks smooth sailing.

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
I have an F350 dually and bought a NL camper last year which I loaded and unloaded by myself several times over the summer with no problems at all. If I can do it, anyone can!
a_flyfisher

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I have a flatbed with tool boxes on my truck. If I'm centered up on the camper I have 3/4" clearance on each side between the boxes and the front camper jacks. It's pretty easy to watch both sides and back in. I have to agree that maybe having the clearance tighter is easier than having a big gap; it's easier to judge.
I can have my camper loaded and tied down in about 20 minutes. Most of that time is raising it up and connecting the tie-downs. The backing under part doesn't take long.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
I've been doing it for years. take your time and be careful. Usually no problems but occasionally I get a little lazy and bump my jacks. A couple of scratches that's all. But on my truck you wouldn't care if there were more scratches. Good luck!!!

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the input. Sounds like not a huge deal with practice and help initially. Miss having a TC, a LOT.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
as other as have said, I think with my Arctic Fox there is more room between my fenders and front jacks than my bed to basement clearance.
also depends on the width of your camper. My 990 is around 97" wide to body where a north star may be 4" less and a northern lite may be 98" wide
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Keep your eyes on the distance between jacks and fenders. I, the wife, always backs the truck under camper and hubby is checking clearance. My biggest problem is getting truck squared up. However, our pole barn has dirt floor and it is not level. Once the camper is on it usually stays on during camping season. We don't unload the camper at campgrounds because of the extension and truss of the hitch, it sticks out too far and have to switch tag over so it is just easier to leave all that stuff connected. We also have a dually and love, love our truck. Good luck and enjoy the TC world!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the newer campers have a bit wider basement than the older campers.
Or it maybe the truck tailgate opening is narrower?

The space between the tailgate opening and the camper basement is about 3/4" max (on my current rig). That's the narrowest point at the top of the tailgate opening.
Between the wheel wells is wider.

My old Eagle Cap and 2005 dually was pretty easy to get on and off.
But my now current Lance and 2015 dually requires a lot more attention and level ground to properly align and load.

As is often the case, "it depends" on the equipment.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had any issues loading my current AF990 and my previous Northstar 8.5 Arrow on to my 06 RAM 3500 dually. Both campers had the swing out brackets. The Northstar was also somewhat narrower than the AF (7.5 ft vs 8 ft IIRC).
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I just loaded mine yesterday and it's not all that bad..I can see the fender and jack out my drivers side window and if I keep it close so the fender just clears,the other sided clears also.I had the wife watching the drivers side but in the future,I don't think she needs to.

It's easier the more you load and unload,at least for me.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I'll put it this way...Was a whole lot easier loading my 8.5 footer on a short bed single-rear. BUT, what I have for living space makes the difference worth the trouble ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've only experienced loading and unloading with a dually and a utility body (just as wide) and if anything, the tighter margins seem to become easier targets and not obstacles. If I can see 1.5" +/- (guessing) between each front leg, and my approach is straight, I'm pretty much centered and good to go. Same for off-loading.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body