cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Bed TV as a Daily Driver???

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting a 5th wheel camper in the near future and will need a new truck to tow it. I am still debating over long bed or short. I see the advantages and disadvantages of both and am not biased one way or the other.

For me I think the biggest consideration is going to come down to use as a daily driver. I currently drive a Tundra. Moving to a Ford F-350 will mean the truck is going to be longer even with the short bed. Adding a longer bed will make it that much longer still.

I have never driven a long bed truck, but anticipate that it could be a PIA for maneuvering in a parking lot. But I am not sure especially now with all the backup and side view cameras. I also have read posts where people say its not any harder to drive than a short bed.

So while part of me says not to limit my capacity and go with the long bed, the other part of me is a bit leery of that decision because 95% of my driving will be as a daily driver. So I am not sure whether the extra capacity is worth any daily driving headaches...or are there really any more headaches for driving with the long bed.

thanks for your help

Matt
54 REPLIES 54

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I have been driving an 8' bed truck with a 160.5" wheel base for 14 years as a DD. Not sure I want to drive or tow with a truck that has a 176+ wheel base.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

AFChief_and_Pil
Explorer
Explorer
I have a CC long bed dually, so just about as big as it gets. I love the truck and the way it tows and that it is immune from big truck bow waves. But I gotta tell you that it is NOT an agile truck. Takes a big area to get turned around and it's a little too wide to be parked next to a car and little too long to fit in one parking spot. I just go to the far end of the parking lot. This truck is a GREAT tow vehicle, and an OK daily driver. My compromise was the daily driver part ... but this is just MO.

Good Luck with your decision.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Long bed works best for everything a truck is used for.
Like hauling building materials, towing and for sleeping.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
you folks are sure keying on the short bed little tank issue. My short bed has something like a 37 gal tank, gas that is.

And that long wheel base issue. My short bed crew cab has enough wheel base for me. No one ever mentions the small amount of wheel base you gain over mine with the long box.

And heaven forbid if i need a sheet of plywood.

Also, I do not live in the city and the other country boys out here let me get off the porch and run with them. :h

i always get as hoot out of this thread.

And it is COLD outside and I am bored. :W

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
3500 SRW Quad Cab 8' bed....160.5" wheel base

Park in regular parking lot spaces up front....don't need 2 spaces/nor to I park out in the back lot
Daily Driver
36 gallon fuel tank
GF whirls it around like a sports car

Can't park it in my garage...truck isn't too long ---DANG Garage is Too SHORT

I like being able to load 8' lengths of plywood/limber and close tailgate
Plus other chores that a pickup truck can be used for.

Longbeds Rule :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NO compromising with a standard LB truck! Dually LB daily driver since November 2011.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

R__Walter
Explorer
Explorer
Most city boys like short beds for getting around town as you say.
2016 Ram 3500 Aisin SRW LB
2005 Hitchhiker DA 31.5
Fulltimin'

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
You will be limited in some parking spots, and possibly in some home garages. Maneuvering will be a little trickier in tight spots. Some parking garages will simply NOT be possible.

A rear-view camera mitigates a good bit of the issues but not those of sheer space.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Itchey Feet wrote:
Something else to consider, some short bed trucks have smaller fuel (gas) tanks. If fuel capacity is an issue then best check out if the one you choose has a short bed does it have a large or small tank. For me I do not like having to make more than one fuel stop a day when traveling. JMHO

True... I have a 34 gallon tank and couldnt live without it now that I got the long bed... @ 9 MPG towing one dont get too far. About 300 miles until fill up again...

Yes I learned to park far off in parking lots when shopping... I walk and take up two parking spots long ways...lol..

When I first got the truck I was clipping curbs with the rear wheels... Well I cam from a little s10 so the length was a huge difference.

But with the length and stability of the added wheel base I will never go back to short bed... I tow @ 75 mph all day, very stable..
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
bowler1 wrote:
I have never driven a long bed truck, but anticipate that it could be a PIA for maneuvering in a parking lot.

It is only a PIA it you let it be.

Park far out. Just get used to walking an extra 100+' to the store.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our dually because we felt it was a safer towing vehicle. Still feel the same. Dually since 2001.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been pulling 5th wheels for 20 years and have always had a long bed truck. And the truck has been a daily driver in a metro area. I have never considered the long bed an issue driving or parking and like the extra bed space and larger fuel tank. OP, get what you want and enjoy!

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve had been th. I like the long bed better. It’s a little smoother riding than the short bed. Not much difference otherwise.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have been driving a crew cab long bed since 2004. And that included driving in Dallas rush hour traffic commuting to/from work before retirement. It can be a pain sometimes in cramped parking lots. But general driving is no problem. I want the extra bed room. And the larger tank.

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
Something else to consider, some short bed trucks have smaller fuel (gas) tanks. If fuel capacity is an issue then best check out if the one you choose has a short bed does it have a large or small tank. For me I do not like having to make more than one fuel stop a day when traveling. JMHO
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.