cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gauges?

RAllison
Explorer
Explorer
If you could have any gauges in your truck, other than Speed,Tach and Fuel what would they be. Getting a new gauge package for my F350 and was curious what other people would like to have.Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Tvov wrote:
What I would like is an "instant" Oil pressure gauge.... what I have now, and what most vehicles have these days, is the "average" oil pressure gauge - it is a delayed reading gauge. When I hit the gas pedal, it is a few moments before the oil pressure gauge goes up.

Also, I have had mechanics tell me that most factory gauge packages are really not any more than "idiot lights" using a gauge. I can never seem to get a straight answer on how accurate my factory gauge package is.

If I had aftermarket gauges, I think I would like them to have their own probes installed where needed, and not use existing factory installed hookups.

I think. As I said, I can never seem to get a straight answer about gauges.

I've heard the same and for the most part, I think that is true, although some vehicles do read and display actual real time numbers.
BUT, not needed most of the time although I found it very helpful to diagnose the radiator cooling fans issue in our 06 SRT when I was able to access real time coolant temps in the DIC. With that, based on the temperature threshold specs for the electric fans I could sit in the driveway and figure out which fan(s) and which fan speeds were or weren't working. Then I was able to verify proper operation of a new fan setup to make sure the issue actually was with the parts replaced and not the ECM.
For the casual user of a gasser, trans temp is the big one if towing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
What I would like is an "instant" Oil pressure gauge.... what I have now, and what most vehicles have these days, is the "average" oil pressure gauge - it is a delayed reading gauge. When I hit the gas pedal, it is a few moments before the oil pressure gauge goes up.

Also, I have had mechanics tell me that most factory gauge packages are really not any more than "idiot lights" using a gauge. I can never seem to get a straight answer on how accurate my factory gauge package is.

If I had aftermarket gauges, I think I would like them to have their own probes installed where needed, and not use existing factory installed hookups.

I think. As I said, I can never seem to get a straight answer about gauges.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
My 17 ram has a gauge summary screen option on the dis. I really like it.

It has coolant, engine oil and Trans temps, along with oil pressure all on at the same time. Maybe one other i cant remember also. It's great.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
I put an after market radio in my truck that also hooks to the OBD port, it is similar to the Edge Insight as far as what it displays. I thought it was pretty cool at first and was a feature I would use when towing and I did the first few times but since I drive a gasser the only things that really matter to me are engine and trans temps. Both of those are displayed on the dash so I haven't used the radio feature in quite a while. Now if I had a diesel it would probably be different.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Other than trans temp, which you can see in the newer driver information centers, a gasser has no use for more gauges......unless you want your door pillar to look like a diesel.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I like my Insight CTS. Since my truck doesn't monitor exhaust gas temperatures it has the ability to read those with a separate probe. I also have a back up camera which uses the gauge screen.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
RAllison wrote:
If you could have any gauges in your truck, other than Speed,Tach and Fuel what would they be. Getting a new gauge package for my F350 and was curious what other people would like to have.Thanks

It would depend entirely on the year and fuel type of your truck.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fill in your public profile you may get a proper answer.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
My Ram allows me to customize my dash and choose from a bunch of different items. I find what I want depends on what I'm doing. While towing I really like the tranny temp. All the other fluids are nice as well so I often just tow with that on in place of my digital speedo. I'm usually not as concerned with my speed while towing anyway and can always just glance at the traditional gauge.

If I had to pick one I'd probably just go for tranny temp but any/all of the fluids are nice to keep an eye on.

Cameo_Phil
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted mine on the dashboard beside the "A" pillar with the mounting bracket you can buy for the CTS2.
2002 Carriage Cameo F35CKB
2005 Chevy 3500 LT, CCLB 6.6L Diesel 4X4

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
RAllison wrote:
Boy, I really like the CTS2, where did you mount that?

2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

RAllison
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, I really like the CTS2, where did you mount that?

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
S Davis wrote:
I would vote CTS2 as well, as a plus all wiring is inside the cab no getting wires through the firewall. And it will show engine and transmission trouble codes as well as clear them.

They also have an expandable probe system that allows you to run a single cable through the firewall, and attach half a dozen or more independent probes of various types.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I would vote CTS2 as well, as a plus all wiring is inside the cab no getting wires through the firewall. And it will show engine and transmission trouble codes as well as clear them.