cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Bed TV as a Daily Driver???

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting a 5th wheel camper in the near future and will need a new truck to tow it. I am still debating over long bed or short. I see the advantages and disadvantages of both and am not biased one way or the other.

For me I think the biggest consideration is going to come down to use as a daily driver. I currently drive a Tundra. Moving to a Ford F-350 will mean the truck is going to be longer even with the short bed. Adding a longer bed will make it that much longer still.

I have never driven a long bed truck, but anticipate that it could be a PIA for maneuvering in a parking lot. But I am not sure especially now with all the backup and side view cameras. I also have read posts where people say its not any harder to drive than a short bed.

So while part of me says not to limit my capacity and go with the long bed, the other part of me is a bit leery of that decision because 95% of my driving will be as a daily driver. So I am not sure whether the extra capacity is worth any daily driving headaches...or are there really any more headaches for driving with the long bed.

thanks for your help

Matt
54 REPLIES 54

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I don't plan to take the hitch out in the summer.

Why not consider just leaving the hitch hanging on the fifth wheel pin. That is where mine resides for storage. :h

I just use one of my other two trucks if I need to haul something. lol
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I don't plan to take the hitch out in the summer.

Why not consider just leaving the hitch hanging on the fifth wheel pin. That is where mine resides for storage. :h

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
For the record I don't have a need for a long bed when not towing and without a hitch installed in the bed. My concern is capacity when towing or with the hitch installed. I don't plan to take the hitch out in the summer. Seems like there is not a lot of capacity in a short bed when the hitch is installed or trailer attached

Matt

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Other than maybe a short parking spot, I feel I can drive and park nearly anywhere anyone else can whether they have a short bed or long bed. Most people learn to drive what they have being a short bed or long bed. I personally have never seen a reason to have a short bed on anything and will never own one.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even though I very seldom take my truck to the city I still have no desire for a long bed but I have a very handy little enclosed motorcycle trailer. If the short bed is too short it takes almost no time or effort to hook on to the little trailer. I think the inside dimensions of the trailer are 11 by 8. I guess the bad thing is you need a large lot to park all the trailers.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have always considered a pickup that can carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat to be a "standard" bed.
Do they make short beds? Why?
:@
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Either one means you are likely parking further out or learning the dimensions.

Not many places I could get into with either.

Once on the road, it's totally irrelevant.

The only real reason I have heard for a short bed is if you can barely fit the short bed into the garage and close the door. Then the extra couple feet might not let you close the door.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Have a long bed Chev 2500. I haul a Honda SxS in the bed, close the tailgate, and tow a trailer.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
3500 SRW Quad Cab 8' bed....160.5" wheel base

Park in regular parking lot spaces up front....don't need 2 spaces/nor to I park out in the back lot
Daily Driver
36 gallon fuel tank
GF whirls it around like a sports car

Can't park it in my garage...truck isn't too long ---DANG Garage is Too SHORT

I like being able to load 8' lengths of plywood/limber and close tailgate
Plus other chores that a pickup truck can be used for.

Longbeds Rule :B

^^^^^^^^ This!
A long bed TV is only a PITA if you chose to let it!
No I can’t fit in the same space as DW’s PT Cruiser Rag Top, but it can’t pull our
5er either. Within a week or so you will become accustomed to the size.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
SB LB same width and fit just fine in parking garages the same. Dually may be a different thing. I have parked my Dually in many parking garages by taking the last space or one next to a hashed zone.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's hilarious that all these guys that are downing a short bed truck are towing such short trailers. Lol I drive a LB CC truck that has a 10'2" long by 8' wide bed on it daily and have zero issues getting around or parking where it will fit but when I get in my QC SB it's like driving around in a little car. So much easier to get around in.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting points. I lean toward the long bed for practicality, but I am not sure I want to be unable to use some parking garages and have to take up 2 parking spaces. those are issues to me. I don't mind walking a little farther when parking in a store parking lot. I do that anyway, but sometimes there is just no place to park and you to park wherever there is a spot available.

Is it true that you really need 2 spaces and that you can't park in some parking garages? I have to fly for work so that could be an issue for me.

My concern with cargo space is more for when towing when you lose a good portion of your bed.

Matt

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 163" WB and tow a 34' trailer, and the only place I find I have any real issue is some state park campground roads are pretty narrow, and backing it can be tricky sometimes. The front of the truck is nearly in the opposite side ditch til the trailer comes around into the site. Another 12" isn't going to help with that equation, but I haven't had any issues working around it. Am considering a crew cab long bed next time. Front end steering geometry can make a big difference. Never had a site I couldn't get into without some extra steering. Being a daily driver wouldn't make me think twice. I'm already used to the long walk to the store from the end of the parking lot.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Harley_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
As you can tell from the replies, lb and sb each has good points and bad. Perhaps a better question is what weight are you towing and what might you be towing a few years from now? Get a TV that will safely pull your next trailer. Don't get in a situation where you trade trailers and then be forced to buy another truck.
Harley Doc

2017 F350
2016 Wildcat
2017 Triumph Bonneville
2011 HD Road King

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
No getting a nice toolbox like this in a shorty! HighwayProducts bed height and 30" front to back. Plus room for storage behind hitch.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD