cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for suggestions

kevin79
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the market for a travel trailer. I currently have an 8ft Jayco Popup that is way too small. I have a family of 7 (2 adults, children age 15, 13, 11, 3 and 1. The 1 year old will sleep in a pack-n-play) so I'm looking for something to accommodate them. I would really like a used trailer to keep costs down. I saw a 2003 Wildwood 25EX online and like the idea of having a queen bed and four bunks. I can't find the weight of it (both dry and GVWR) so I don't know if it will be too heavy.I have a 2003 Chevrolet Express Conversion van with a 5.3L V8 engine with a tow capacity of 6400lbs. Tongue weight can be up to 1500lbs.

Here are my questions.
-Can someone give me the weight, both dry and GVWR of a Wildwood 25EX?
-Does anyone have any recommendations for other models to look at?

Thanks in advance.
24 REPLIES 24

kevin79
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I guess for now I will keep using my small popup (trailer is just over 1,000lbs) and a tent. Not optimal but I would rather do that than carry too much weight and risk lives.

arkieguide
Explorer
Explorer
The van scares me - that many people and their EXTRA gear, towing much of a trailer will quickly over load the rear of the van.If you can limit the van to passenger's only ? Using a 15 foot are so trailer may work - depending on what you load your trailer with ? Be careful you are making a serious decision, that will affect your family and their safety.Travel tralers are for fun so choose carefully.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
kevin79 wrote:
That gives me around 340lbs for cargo and tongue weight right?

Right.

As I suspected from my own experience, the upfitter used up most of your payload capacity with the heavier than stock interior. Conversions are not good tow vehicles.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a new tow vehicle might be in order and if that is the case look for a tt with a slide in the bunk. Some of them have a trifold couch that will sleep two and with three more bunks you can fit all five back there.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
kevin79 wrote:
Got to the scales today. My van with a full tank of gas and just me weighed 6160lbs. I figure everyone else wieghs around 700lbs (probably less) and the GVWR listed on the sticker is 7200lbs. That gives me around 340lbs for cargo and tongue weight right?

Unfortunately yes, which leaves you only enough for the tongue weight of a light pop up trailer. Some will say it is ok to exceed the GVWR slightly as long as you stay under the tire and axle ratings but even that won't leave you enough weight room for the size of trailer you want/need. I wouldn't be comfortable doing that with my family on board.

Only real options are a 1 ton van with sufficient payload, tow with your current van but bring a second vehicle with all the passengers (then you would have nearly 1k of weight available for tongue weight), or stick with a pop up and tents.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Our old Outback will sleep ten but it will not live ten. I think you would need a tent or two to make living seven possible. I would also think that you would have to be near enough to park bathrooms to use them.
My mother had to wonderful time camping in tents with her family of eleven so it is possible. That was in very early 1900s.

kevin79
Explorer
Explorer
Got to the scales today. My van with a full tank of gas and just me weighed 6160lbs. I figure everyone else wieghs around 700lbs (probably less) and the GVWR listed on the sticker is 7200lbs. That gives me around 340lbs for cargo and tongue weight right?

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
My grandkids moved into tents when they were about 10 years old. At first they slept under the PUP pull out beds then farther away.

Who wants to sleep with a bunch of old people who snore? 🙂
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oasisbob wrote:
We have a family of 6 and always take extra kids along. I have learned that as kids reach teen age years they want to tent it outside regardless of weather. for what it's worth

Yup, and then before you know it they are gone. Off to their own lives.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A 14 year old vehicle with 1000 miles or 200k miles has fatigue. Springs, shocks, bushings, clutches, fluids, hoses, metal. Nothing performs better at 14yrs than new. Someone could replace/upgrade certain components to improve certain capabilities, but the sum of parts is not likely greater than when new. My point is that towing any high walled trailer near it's tow ratings for that era vehicle is likely to be pleasant, from the driver, passengers, or vehicle maintenance. I towed my TT with a a vehicle of similar vintage capability. It was acceptable 6 years ago. Had I kept that truck, I would not entertain an RV at that tow vehicle age. I would want overkill of same vintage.

Newer means lots of things. Some involve engineering improvement. Some are just less fatigue/wear.

Those points are independent of the fact that towing nearly any RV with a large family tends to put most half tons 500+ pounds over GVWR. Brand new 2017 full sized half tons with 400+hp and 8+spd transmissions have the same issues with larger families and towing an RV.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Why would towing be different in a newer vehicle vs my 14 year old van?

Power. A newer vehicle will have significantly more HP and torque, as well as a better transmission. I think you will be surprised, and not in a good way, when you get to the scales with your conversion van. As mentioned earlier, I used to tow with a conversion, and that nice interior, with it's extra carpet, soundproofing, amenities, and comfy seats, weighs a lot more than what the factory would install in a standard passenger van. A good amount of payload is already gone, especially if it's a 1500 series.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The hardest thing to learn/understand is that tow capacity is a fantasy. It's calculated with a flat trailer with weights and a 150 lbs driver. A high walled TT is like a sail - unlike your popup that sits below it's roof line. Payload is the limiting factor. Tongue weight, WDH/hitch weight, passengers and cargo subtract from payload. Tongue weight can be calculated by taking the GVR of the planned TT and multiplying by 13%. Don't rely on dry weight or brochure weights - they are understated. Your 1500 conversion van is not going to cut it pulling a camper that is significantly big enough for 7 people.

Looking forward to the scale report.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

kevin79
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Towing a high walled RV near tow rating for a 14 year old vehicle will be unpleasant at best. I would upgrade that first to a 1-ton passenger van. For similar vintage, I recommend GM with 8.1L and Ford with V10. If you can afford something newer, a 2010+ GM van with 6.0L/6-spd should offer significantly more power and probably better fuel economy than you are getting now.

Why would towing be different in a newer vehicle vs my 14 year old van? I understand that the tow weight would be higher and new vehicles are more fuel efficient but what are the reasons other than those?

I'm planning on bringing my van to the scales this week to see what the actual weight is.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a high walled RV near tow rating for a 14 year old vehicle will be unpleasant at best. I would upgrade that first to a 1-ton passenger van. For similar vintage, I recommend GM with 8.1L and Ford with V10. If you can afford something newer, a 2010+ GM van with 6.0L/6-spd should offer significantly more power and probably better fuel economy than you are getting now.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)