cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Tow rig suggestion at about $5K?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel preferred, yet realize that probably cost more?

I'm thinking about selling my beloved 2007 Cadillac CTS & figure I should get $5000.00 for it & hopefully get a worthy Tow rig to tow my future 30' MAX TT that I plan to buy soon.

I do have a curent tow rig so that not a major issue.
But was looking for a non-dually auto trans 3/4 that is less hard core as my current Dually.

I'd like to have an optional tow rig besides my 1 Ton Dodge 4x4 5 speed diesel with about 500 HP & 4" straight pipe exhaust

Maybe something more comfy & less loud?

Yet that can still tow my TT

Looking for suggestions.
Not brand loyal.
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
23 REPLIES 23

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Does not have to be diesel, was just a fantasy it seems.
With '85 Lance.

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi... 3/4 Ton diesel trucks are expensive . .. about 2 years ago I sold my 2004 diesel 3/4 ton truck for 15,900. It had about 150,000 miles on it. Jim2007.
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Hate to say it but 5K will probably just buy you a headache if your after a diesel truck.
They just hold their value better than that.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about a conversion van, but you can probably find a decent passenger van in that range. They don't seem to hold value like trucks do. Might be worth a look. If you search is anything like mine was, you are going to have to at least double your budget to have a hope of finding something that isn't worn out if you stay with a truck.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Put a muffler on the truck you have and know best? 🙂

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
You won't see much in 3/4 ton diesels in reasonable condition for 5 g's but at least in SoCal they should be rust free. Stay clear of pre 2000 GM as well as 6.0 and 6.4 Fords, the engines will turn into money pits. Any Ram wouuld be good but a high mile unit will likely need expensive front end work.

Yeah as I was just now looking at trucks I'm finding they are not cheap!
& have very high milage, meaning not long before a rebuild on many things will be needed.
With '85 Lance.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
You won't see much in 3/4 ton diesels in reasonable condition for 5 g's but at least in SoCal they should be rust free. Stay clear of pre 2000 GM as well as 6.0 and 6.4 Fords, the engines will turn into money pits. Any Ram wouuld be good but a high mile unit will likely need expensive front end work.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Or maybe a conversion Van that could tow?
With '85 Lance.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
For five thousand dollars? To supplement your 21 year old Dodge? To pull your 33 year old Lance TT? Possibly remove the straight pipes? Foam cushion on the seat and ear protection?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad