cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for tow vehicle for family of 6

Fourkidletts
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! Trying this again, after finally abandoning the idea of a Ford Expedition. (Payload issues) We are in the market for a truck. But it also needs to be my husband's commuter truck. He drives about 25 minutes one way, city traffic. We are considering TT's in the 25-28 foot range. (Haven't purchased yet) We have a large family of 6, including 4 adults and 2 tall teen boys. Not all have to sleep in the TT, so not looking for ultra huge.

Questions:
1) I'm seeing possible payloads of close to the 2400-2600 lbs range with a 4x4 Ford F 150 SuperCrew. Does this sound adequate for a TT that size? What is the minimum payload we should consider?
2) Obviously a 3/4 ton truck would make towing life easier, but what would be the gas mileage difference on a daily basis driving it to work? The window sticker on the F 250 didn't even have to list the gas mileage.
3) Any other TV we should consider?

Thanks for any input you have for us.
47 REPLIES 47

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Smart choices are 2500 Suburban, Ford Excursion, or 350 van..

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on the van. Ford E350 or Chev 3500.
And they are Cool! 🙂
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
Fourkidletts wrote:
We have a large family of 6, including 4 adults and 2 tall teen boys.

Are you sure you really want to get a crew cab pickup? With 6 large people, it seems that you would need something with 3 rows. Driving long distances with 3 across in the front seat gets old. If a Suburban or Expedition will not work, have you considered a full size van? I know, not cool to drive around in every day.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment