cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to purchase a TC need advice

fourscoot
Explorer
Explorer
I have just started looking at Truck campers. This will be my first. I'm not in a hurry to purchase, as the summer camping season is coming to a close, so I have time to be picky.

My question has to do with the floor in the campers. I Recently looked at a 1996 Shadow Cruiser 850. I looked to be in very good condition, at first. It was still on a truck and on a platform to clear the bed-rails and cab roof. The problem is, the platform was made approximately 6 inch's short of supporting the entire floor between the wheel wells(3" shy on the left and 3" on right). After looking at it I realized the entire floor (save the 18 overhang off the back) was pushed up about half an inch. After seeing that, I looked inside and noticed around all the plywood walls the floor bowed up. The other concern(probably related) is the set up to the cabover. The vertical piece of wood was separated from the left piece of plywood on the box. I looked as though the plywood bowed or was forced to the left by whatever forces. I didn't take a picture of the floor. But I do have on of the separation.

Questions.
1 How hard is it to replace the floor?
2 How is the floor attached to the plywood walls?
3 How long would it take a fairly handy fella to replace?
4 Is it worth even attempting? Time and material wise?

the asking price of the camper is 3200.00. The owner didn't know about the damage. So, I feel I can get a much better deal on the camper. I would have to, to consider it. What would you value the camper at assuming no other damage was present? I went over it pretty good and didn't see anything else.
8 REPLIES 8

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....there are appx 160 listed pre-owned (used) truck campers for sale in the State of California NOT listed on Craig's List or E-Bay (these are only on the commercial rv trading websites)...quickly, I found ~8 in California listed under $4990 on one website alone.

LOTS of used inventory out there....lots.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

fourscoot
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You everyone for the advice. I really am not looking for a project. Me and my future wife loved the layout of this camper. There are and will be others out there though.

I think at this time, if the owner isn't willing to take it in and have the repairs done we are going to pass.

Thank you again for all of your response, it is very much appreciated.

Bigfootchevy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, Keep looking there are better deals out there.

Paul

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
I too would pass on a project camper, unless you have experience with campers. Being handy, yes, a good thing, but campers need a bit more than handy to repair this kind of damage.

And, you don't know what else needs fixing too -- eighteen years old ??

Price too high for this condition ... If you were knowledgeable about campers, and could evaluate other aspects of it, and repairs -- maybe $1000 ... then, you're just buying the shell and components, and will probably put another $2000 at least, especially if the Fridge, range, and pumps and electrical systems need work too.

For $3000-$3500 you can get a better camper, and no headaches.

One more piece of advice ... while you're looking. Water damage, water damage, and water damage. That's the most important factor in campers ... look very carefully on any camper that no water has penetrated the walls and roof ... it will destroy the interior of the walls and is extremely difficult to see or repair. Water will travel from a leak to 'anywhere' inside ... and water has NO mercy.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Bonesquatch
Explorer
Explorer
Why start out with a huge headache and a massive project? For that price, you can purchase a relatively problem-free, ready to roll rig without major structural damage.
If it were my money, I'd thank the guy for his time and then keep looking for a camper in better shape so I wouldn't be buying a project.
"That's just...like...your opinion...man..."--The Dude
2012 Chevy 2500 HD
2012 Lance 850

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
why this one? lots more out there.
bumpy

fourscoot
Explorer
Explorer
The owner wasn't aware of the damage, is the camper has been on the truck for several years. For the condition of the floor I feel that price is very high as well. I was thinking value would be more in the 1200.00 to 1500.00 range.
Was the plywood sides set on top of the base platform? Or screwed into the the platform from the sides?
If I take on the project I was planning on framing a 2x4 or 2x6 wall on either side of the camper to fully support the wings. I wouldn't trust the Hydraulic jacks to hold the camper up for an extended period of time.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
With older campers price is all about condition. To me that price is way high for the condition. Then again I don't want a TC at the moment.

The floor was probably laid down then everything else was built on top of it. Campers are built in modules, sometimes it's like taking apart a puzzle.

You could probably support the camper by it's wings that stick out over the truck bed rails. Be aware that every wall, cabinet, step and cubby hole is attached to the floor with screws, staples or glue. I'd get rid of the old platform and add a new one. Maybe you could add foam insulation to the floor for cold weather camping or a slide out storage box. Just screw the old floor down to the new sub base.

I cut a notch out of my last TC so it would slide in over a 100 gal L-shaped gas tank. I only paid $650 for a popup TC that had damage to the top's rear corner where it was backed into something. It takes more time than money to modify one so if your handy and you can buy it CHEAP, go for it. Other wise there's another one around the corner.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman