cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looks like Diesel engines are on the Menu for Ford

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
They will be making a huge investment in new plants in Mexico producing two new diesels
Reuters) - Ford Motor Co (F.N) on Friday will announce an investment of about $2.5 billion in Mexico, industry sources said, the latest multibillion-dollar outlay in the country's booming auto sector.

Ford will invest $1.3 billion to expand its plant in northern Chihuahua state, where it will build two new diesel engines, with another $1.2 billion planned for a transmission plant in central Guanajuato state, the sources said on Tuesday.

The U.S. automaker will announce the investment in Mexico City on Friday to celebrate the 90th anniversary of its presence in Mexico. President Enrique Pena Nieto will attend the event.

A Mexican official said the Chihuahua investment would probably create about 4,000 jobs.

A Ford spokeswoman in Detroit declined to comment.

Ford is Mexico's fourth-largest auto exporter, according to official industry figures, selling 108,417 units abroad during the first quarter. The majority headed to the United States.

Ford announced its last major investment in Mexico in 2008, $3 billion to update its Cuautitlan plant in central Mexico to produce its popular Fiesta model.

The company also has a factory in the northern state of Sonora, where it produces the Fusion subcompact and the high-end Lincoln MKZ.

In recent years, foreign automakers have expanded their presence in Mexico, lured by its cheap labor, myriad free trade agreements and proximity to the United States.

On Monday, Reuters reported that Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T), the world's biggest automaker, would spend $1 billion to build a new factory in Mexico, producing 200,000 cars a year, and planned to announce the investment on Wednesday.
45 REPLIES 45

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Powerdude wrote:
Is that just the engine casting plant that will go there, or does it do full assembly?

What country do the actual parts that go into the engine come from? Like the pistons and the crankshafts, oil pump and injectors?

I highly doubt that Mexico manufactures highly precise items like piezo-injectors or high pressure fuel pums/oil pumps.

Some of those parts probably come from the US, and maybe final assembly is done in Mexico. Still, it would be better if those engines were assembled in the USA.

Why is it that Cummins somehow makes a profit making engines in the US, and Ford feels like it has to assemble the engines in Mexico?

A lot of the Ford Power Stroke parts come from the states. Isn't the cummins block cast south of the border? And factories in other countries!

Yes the Cummins 6.7 is either cast in Mexico or Brazil. Then fully machined and assembled in USA.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, the Spanish armor was shipped by giant container ships, right?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:

We live in a global economy.

Nothing new about that, though some act as though it's a novel situation. I'm put in mind of the Manila Galleon ,which brought Chinese goods to Spain, Spanish armor to Japan (Spanish armor was often used by late 16th Century Samurai) and Mexican culture to the Phillipines. A rather small example but an interesting one.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:

And what a great deal it has been for the 1%ers, while the working class got bread crumbs or less.

Do remember that the media and most everyone laughed at Ross Perot when he warned about the dangers of NAFTA in 1992. The "giant sucking sound" as jobs left the US.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
GoPackGo wrote:

And what a great deal it has been for the 1%ers, while the working class got bread crumbs or less. The great race to the bottom!

Read all about it!

http://www.epi.org/blog/naftas-impact-workers/
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Fast Mopar wrote:
Back to the topic posted, it would be nice to have that investment here in the US. We need the jobs.

Agreed, you only have to drive through Detroit to see that...
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Powerdude wrote:
Is that just the engine casting plant that will go there, or does it do full assembly?

What country do the actual parts that go into the engine come from? Like the pistons and the crankshafts, oil pump and injectors?

I highly doubt that Mexico manufactures highly precise items like piezo-injectors or high pressure fuel pums/oil pumps.

Some of those parts probably come from the US, and maybe final assembly is done in Mexico. Still, it would be better if those engines were assembled in the USA.

Why is it that Cummins somehow makes a profit making engines in the US, and Ford feels like it has to assemble the engines in Mexico?

You might want to visit the Cummins website and check out 'worldwide locations'. They have plants world wide including several in China, one in Turkey, a few in Brazil, etc. - and one in Mexico.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Powerdude wrote:

A lot of the Ford Power Stroke parts come from the states. Isn't the cummins block cast south of the border? And factories in other countries!
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
45Ricochet wrote:
Well I knew right away that this wasn't Troy's thread :B

HA no doubt!

Hey Fish what say you?

I say we all make choices in life and choosing to purchase a truck (from a foreign company {Fiat}) made South of the border is a bad idea for me, you and our future!

You asked!
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
GBuilders wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
GBuilders wrote:
I wonder how much the drug cartel's get?

For what?

They don't need a reason and they seam to have more power then the Mexican government.

A reason for what. Not following.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer

2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
Tystevens wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
News alert. Net immigrants illegal and otherwise since 2007 is DOWN 900K.

who is doing the counting??

chevman

Beat me to the question. Interesting that someone thinks they have accurate numbers on this!

About as accurate as trying to take an average earth temperature...
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
45Ricochet wrote:
Well I knew right away that this wasn't Troy's thread :B

HA no doubt!

Hey Fish what say you?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

GBuilders
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
GBuilders wrote:
I wonder how much the drug cartel's get?

For what?

They don't need a reason and they seam to have more power then the Mexican government.
2005 Jayco Eagle 305 BHS 5th wheel

New truck: 2019 Ford F-250 power stroke platinum 4x4

Former truck: 2014 Ram Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4 6.7/Aisin 6 speed 3:73