cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lost Title

DAVMARINE1975
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 1984 Citation 30ft travel trailer. I am a newbie to the rv world. It's in very nice condition and the price was right. They said they lost the title no big deal just apply for duplicate but they didn't get a title. Anyway I've tried two different tag offices with two different stories. Whoever titled it last has to apply for duplicate no one knows who that is. I don't want to be stuck I want the blame thing. Anybody have any suggestions on getting a duplicate title? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. RV NEWBIE
38 REPLIES 38

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I feel the pain, I have two trailers here without license plates. One, the owner never changed or registered the title. I have that title w/his signature in hand. The other had some composing issues by myself that the State rejected the title transfer. In both cases the MN DMV wanted dated signatures from the previous owner as to the veracity of the title transfer.

FWIW, I am going to skirt that black hole of bureaucracy and register both of those trailers and an additional utility trailer as "Home made". I found a clerk in an exurban registrar's office that is amenable to practical reason. Heck, I want to pay the State and help keep the roads up but their actions belie their purpose.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mat60 wrote:
Does one even need a title for something of that age. You don't here in Maine.

YES, many states DO require a title for trailers.

Trailers are one of those weird things that is handled differently between states so while some states may not require one other states do.. Some states after 10 yrs of age will ignore the need for a title to boot..

Can make it pretty tricky selling or buying between a state that does not require and one that does.

Here in PA, it is required for any trailer (no matter how old) that is to be registered with the DMV for a plate in order to be able to tow on public roads.

A trailer in PA without a good title is useless unless you want to use as a fixed hunting camp or tool shed.. And getting a homemade or special construction title is a very expensive hassle and in the end may get rejected and you are out of the money you paid in fees.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
DAVMARINE1975 wrote:
I couldn't find any other vin for the camper any suggestions on where to look?

Back then, there was no nationally recognized "VIN" number system for trailers, automobiles yes, but trailers no.

It was up to the trailer manufacturer to create their own SERIAL NUMBER which was simply stamped into the A Frame of the trailer. Some may have been a separate metal tag which was riveted onto the A frame..

The serial number was also often duplicated on a plastic data sticker which also contained weight specs, tire size and put onto the drivers side of the trailer near the front of the trailer.

As far as your DMV not being able to find the serial number in their "system", doesn't surprise me one bit.

Good chance if the trailer has not been registered/plated for "on the road use" for a long time the DMV may have eventually purged or discarded inactive titles.. Or since it was inactive, it may have been lost during an upgrade of the computer system or depending on when the DMV went electronic it may have been skipped..

Sometimes because trailer manufacturers did not use any standardized VIN DMV computers tend to choke or not accept the old non conforming serial numbers that do not match todays modern VIN specs.

In reality, your only hope would be to apply for a special construction trailer if you cannot trace the steps back to the ORIGINAL OWNER. Since it would have to be the original owner to apply for a duplicate title.. Worse yet, is the original owner would most likely HAVE to provide some sort of proof of ownership like an owners card with the matching serial number.

The headaches you are in for is the reason folks should NEVER buy a vehicle or trailer without a GOOD title in hand BEFORE money changes hands..

What you have right now is a "hunting camp" or "tool shed" since you have no way of providing proper ownership papers required by your states DMV in order to legally tow on public roads.

There are more other RVs out there, personally I would recommend getting your money back and move on.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I too, would try to return it and get your money back.
Probably goes without saying at this point but never buy without the title no matter how good a deal.

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is to return the trailer and get your money back. If the trailer originally had a title it's up to the previous owner to supply you with the title he lost. He can apply through the local DMV or whoever handles that in your State for one which may take a month to obtain. You probably shouldn't have paid in full without the title. If he fails to obtain the replacement title or return your money you will need to get a lawyer involved. You may like the trailer but without the title its not legally yours.

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
Does one even need a title for something of that age. You don't here in Maine.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
You might also contact the manufacturer. They may have a record of who they sold the TT too. It is a start.

I would phone rather than email.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
It is possible that it has never been titled. We questioned whether we needed to have our TT titled since we bought it out of state and it will stay out of state at our seasonal campground. We could technically do it, but we'd have a problem selling it or trading it in since all we have is the Manufacturer Certificate of Origin and no actual title.

Have you talked to a supervisor at the County Clerk's office about getting a title for it? We had a problem when we went to title our Motorhome. We had two Certificates of Origin, one from Ford and one from Jayco. The employee at the County Clerk's Office had no idea what to do with the two titles. She got her supervisor and the supervisor cleared it up. There might be a procedure to get a title that the employees you spoke to just aren't aware of that a supervisor might.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
Can the County clerk run the license plate number to get the VIN? Some trailers may have two numbers. One for the frame and one for the completed product. You might look on the drivers side for an additional tag from the MFG. of the finished product.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go get you money back before someone finds out you are in possession of stolen property.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 you need this seller at your side,doing all this, its there problem not yours.I,d wanting my money ,back and tell them when they get the title you,ll buy.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
The DMV office should be able to tell you who legally owns the trailer. Also consider that it may have been titled in a different state. Go back to the seller and find out who he purchased it from and begin your due diligence...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
As I think you are aware, you are trying to close the door after the cows got out.

First step: Check with the govt office. Explain the situation and ask what you can do. My bet is they will say they can't give you title without the owner (on the title currently) signing off.

Step two: Go back to the seller and see if he has the original owner's (the one on the title) information.

Problem is you are likely to run into a wall where there is no good solution if the original owner can't be located or isn't cooperative.

A homemade trailer title works great...until you get pulled over and it clearly isn't homemade.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Being that I'm in FL, I would apply for a homemade trailer title on a unit that old. There'll likely be some dissenting opinions on that method, but what else are you going to do at this point??
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

DAVMARINE1975
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion time time2roll. I'll try that dealership idea.