cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low fuel pressure Duramax

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 03 Chevy Duramax and just replaced the fuel filter (getting ready to head for summer travels) and the next day after about 40 miles it went into limp mode with engine light on. Have enough power to drive but when I try to hit the foot feed it almost stalls for lack of diesel fuel. Got it to me local repair guy late on Friday and he took a engine code reading and it said low fuel pressure. Going to take it back to him on Monday.
Now my question why with a NEW filter this would happen?
We have replace these several times in the past without a problem. You learn when pulling a big 5er in the mountains and you go into limp mode to make sure your filter is good and you have a spare.
But now with a new filter it happens.
I bought a WIX filter 33960XE at $59.99 at O'Reilly auto parts so not a low end filter by any means.
Any ideas?
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com
22 REPLIES 22

I found an interesting article regarding this problem.

See it here.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Have you pumped the filter when it is not running good to see if the filter is full?

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
I would think it it is one of the things already mentioned....bleeder screw. oring etc. I would also think you would be wise to stick with the OEM brand filter for your Duramax. The ac delco filter is darn good.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

tdeal823
Explorer
Explorer
What is the mileage of your truck? If your getting up there in mileage your CP3 could be getting tired. This is common in Duramax trucks. GM Duramax trucks are the only diesels that do not use a lift pump. They use the Injection pump (CP3) to deliver injection pressure to the rail and also suck fuel from the tank through the filter and up to the pump sitting at the motor. That is a long way to suck fuel. If you have any minor air leak you will get a loss in vacuum and starve for fuel. With any fuel maintenance you have to be extra extra clean. I can not stress this enough. Here are the steps I would take.
1...The easiest thing to check is a new filter. If you are using factory style filters you need to clean and maybe replace all seals along with it. This includes the water sensor gasket and the bleeder screw.
2...Is you are reasonably mechanically inclined you can rebuild the filter housing. Autozone, KOI, NAPA will all have filter housing rebuild kits for less than $50. It is all the o-rings and seals for the housing. The housings are very susceptible to dirt and debris at the primer plunger. If you are worried about the work involved you can buy a new housing also. If you get a new housing make sure it is for your year truck. GM slightly changed the hose routing somewhere in 2005-08.
3...Get a NICKTANE filter housing adapter and a Donaldson filter.
http://nicktane.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=63

http://nicktane.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=51

This will not always fix the problem. But if you have a week CP3 the larger filter will allow the pump to suck through the filter a little better.
4...The best solution is to install a Lift Pump back at the tank with a good water separator and filter built into one. These are expensive but once done are wonderful. AirDog 2 165 or FASS 150 are great options.
http://atptrucks.com/airdogii165-2001-2010-gm-duramax.html

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I will do my best you help.
good luck
Tony
2008 Silverado 2500HD DMax LTZ cc sb 4x4 EFILive tuned, Blocked, Deleted, Rerouted and removed ;)B&W Turnover ball and 5th Companion
02 F250 4x4 Auto Ex LWB SRW 7.3L B&W, RideRite, 5"exhaust. TW6 chip. 195k
2011 Sabre 32BHOK-6

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
I would check the O-Ring, check the WIF sensor for cracks, or the nylon bleeder screw could be worn. If those are good, do you know if the fuel filter was ever overtightened? If so, it may have started a small crack in the fuel filter housing. I have replaced a few on buddies Duramax's that either tightened them to much (Hand tighten only)and cracked them, or took it somewhere where someone else overtightened it. They can be had for around $125 online.
BobsYourUncle - My BIL truck was doing exactly what you described. I replaced the fuel filter housing and he has not had an issue since.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

I have had the exact same issue with my 07 Dmax. Happened the first time pulling a long grade last year, in the summer with my TT hanging off the back. It only does it when I'm towing.

I put a new fuel filter on it and it made no difference, indicating to me the problem is something else.

I posted a thread on this last fall. See it here.

I never did get mine fixed, as I haven't exactly pinpointed the problem, but research I have done points to an issue some of them have with the fuel line itself. I am told there is a rubber line that goes from the bottom up the firewall and it has been known to get weak and collapse, giving the symptoms of low fuel pressure.

Might be worth checking out more on this.

Mine did it again on a highway trip in Alberta a couple months ago when it was cold out.

Let us know what you find!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

redsb3
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure the WIF plug is tight and the o-ring is in right. Might just be sucking some air. Did you make sure the old o-ring came off with the filter? And then, maybe RAS43 is right, occasionally there are bad filters.
2005 GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB with 6.6L Duramax/Allison
2002 Automate 5W, 32 ft, 13,280 GVWR
Valley Glider Hitch

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
It could just be a defective filter even though Wix is a good brand. Had it happen years ago on a 6.5 diesel. Try another filter first.