cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LPG Detector Problem

ThreeToGo
Explorer
Explorer
Last time out with our truck camper, we made breakfast but didnโ€™t fully turn the gas burner off. When my wife came back from showering, she said it โ€œstinks in hereโ€ but the LPG detector wasnโ€™t making a sound. We put our cats in the truck and drove all that day. When we got to our next campground, it was really rank but still no LPG alarm. We figured out what the problem was, turned off the stove and aired out the camper. The odor dissipated immediately. We went to bed at 10 or so, but about midnight the detector started going off regularly. We moved the catโ€™s sand box (from in front of the detector) โ€“ which used to set it off sometimes โ€“ fanned in front of the detector and run the overhead fan to get a few minutes sleep. It kept going off all night and morning.
The next morning I turned off the propane bottles, opened the compartment and ran the fans but the LPG detector kept going off so I removed the detectorโ€™s fuse because there was still no odor. I put the fuse back in about 24 hours later . No alarm. The Camper has been setting in front of the house for over two weeks since I put the fuse back in and still no alarm. Is there a way I can test the PPG detector or do I need to take it to our local camper repair shop? RV net search, some say age of detector, others say battery problem.
Recommendations appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
We use a bic type lighter, just let the gas escape, no fire, to check the detector. Just stick it in front of the device.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

ThreeToGo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice. My detector was made in 2005. I just replaced the detector and it is working great.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
exactly right. I just replaced mine, as it was going off for no reason. They just have a specific shelf life.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
One time...Yes, Just one time, is all it takes.

Rude awakening at 3:00am. Open door to get the wife and dog out. Check all connections, makes sure everything is off, no smell of propane, furnance still running strong (40 degrees--Memorial Day???), back of trailer pull covers, check everything that even thinks of using propane-------------NOTHING SEEMS WRONG ???????????

Ok, go back to bed, toss & turn rest of night worrying why alarm went off.

Internet search? What???? Dog dander can set off the alarm???? But he likes sleeping there-----DANG DOG.

Only other time it went off. Wife decided to spray on bug spray INSIDE the trailer :S she knows better.

Atleast I know it works...:B

Dog is no longer allowed to sleep in that spot. :Z:Z:Z

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Super_Dave wrote:
The only time that mine has ever gone off was from the dog passing gas during the middle of the night. We were all quite startled, including the dog.

Haw,,, for sure Dog F@@@S set it off....

We were in a rest area along I5 for a quick stop... had the windows open and the lp detector started going off.... Fumes from the cars was setting it off...

If I leave the camper door open and start the truck (cold) the LP alarm will go off if there is a air motion just right. Sometimes it sets off my Co detector too.

A bottle of wine fell and spilled on the carpet. Alarm went off...

Hay, we know it's working...

Yes to replace every 5 years.

EXPENSIVE buggers!

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
The only time that mine has ever gone off was from the dog passing gas during the middle of the night. We were all quite startled, including the dog.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree to replace the detector. This comes up from time to time.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Detectors have a shelf life of 5-7 yrs. Your 2006 Camper is 9 (components maybe 10)

Time for new detector (expiration date is usually on backside)

Probably didn't respond to actual propane (burner on/not lit) due to dust on sensor from cat litter being in front of detector.

Replace detector (it's time) and relocate litter box otherwise just disconnect detector and forget about it.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31