cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LT265/70x17 E-load tires vs normal 265/70x17: pros and cons?

card_cap
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to upgrade the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S on my Chevy Avalanche in the near future before I start towing a ~7000 pound trailer. All of my driving to date has been on paved roads, so I figure I'll go with a highway tire for a replacement. I have been looking at the highly rated Michelin Defender LTX M/S, but the price was a bit of a turnoff (this is my first truck, and first truck tire change so it's still a shock to me coming from passenger car tires!). The Sumimoto Encounter HT, although it doesn't have quite as many reviews on Tirerack as the Michelin, edges it out performance wise almost completely across the board for a substantially lower price, and their warranty seems as good or better. Supposedly they are the manufacturer of many other company's tires so they aren't an inexperienced, fly-by-night operation.

Now here is the conundrum - there are two versions of the tire in my size. An 'E' load rated, non-UTQG rated version at $136.20 with 16/32" tread depth(!!!) that weighs 54 pounds and has a max load of 3195 pounds or the 'normal' tire with 600 UTQG, costs $117.04, has a 'typical' 12/32" tread depth, weighs 42 pounds, and has a max load of 2679 pounds. I assume the tread compound is the same, so I'd be gaining 50% more tread depth/service life, at only 16% more cost, BUT I am adding 50 pounds of unsprung weight to my truck which will affect my gas mileage and handling to some extent. I feel like the max weight shouldn't be an issue as even the normal tires exceed my rear axle limit, however, maybe because they are heavier tires, they'll 'feel' better or actually perform better under heavy load? Or perhaps offer better puncture/blowout protection? I'm guessing the extra material goes in the sidewall so it would help prevent unrepairable sidewall tears/blowouts? Another factor to consider is my annual mileage. In the roughly 10 months that I've owned the truck, I've only put 7000 miles on it. So perhaps the tires will dry out from ozone and UV damage before I wear them out anyways?

Doing some reading of various truck/off-road/towing forums, it sounds like heavier duty tires on the tow vehicle will 'sway' less, but not really sure what this means or how the vehicle sways? Wouldn't just the trailer sway? Would the extra tread depth actually be a detriment to daily driving? Will the extra tire tread life benefits be more than cancelled out by increased fuel costs over the life of the tire?

Anyone with more experience than myself have some opinions or strong arguments about which route to go? Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
hvac wrote:
XL series split the difference. Any one using these?

Yeah. Have some on the wife's SRT Charger. Great car tires!
$ for $ you'll get more life and better performance out of a heavier load rated tire in of course capacity if you need that, performance as they'll be stiffer or can be made stiffer (more air) and treadwear as greater cap tires are designed to hold greater loads and as such sometimes have greater tread depth then their light duty twins and harder rubber compound both contributing to longer tire life.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
XL series split the difference. Any one using these?

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've got a set of Cooper AT3's on my truck now with about 20k miles on them. They look like they should give me about 50k miles. They ride pretty good. I'd buy them again.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
My son and I have run Michelin LTX tires on many vehicles. over 150K on the 2004 silverado, almost 250K on a S-10. Same with neighbor who has put close to 500K on two F250s

the michelins have had good traction, low noise, good handling. My advice on any tire if you do lots of towing, by them from someone who will honor the mileage warranty. None of us has ever gotten anywhere near the tread wear life they are warranted for. typically we all get 35K maybe 40K miles. when they had a 80K warranty, we all ended up getting all the sets after the first set at 50 percent or more off. I think now they are down to 60 or 70K tread wear warranty, but same situation. just less discount on the next set when they wear out.

But we have all tried some other tires, Toyo, Goodyear, Cooper etc. and all ended up near 35-40K miles.

Now, in all these cases we all do most of the driving towing good sized trailers. If you do mostly unloaded non towing miles you'll probably get much better tire mileage.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

card_cap
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses! You all seem to confirm my gut instinct to go for the higher E-load rated tire. I guess the 'max load' is different from the 'best load' when you are approaching the limits of the tire. I just ordered some of the E-rated Sumitomos from Tire Rack for pickup from their distribution center but actually just found some supposedly highly rated Cooper Discoverer HT3's for $100 each ($50 off!) that are also E-load rated and 5 pounds lighter so might switch up my order. Unfortunately they aren't on Tire Rack so I can't comparison shop, but they have some decent reviews and a 50000 mile treadlife warranty to alleviate any fears of poor longevity (as I read in some of the poor reviews). Anyone have any experience with them vs Michelin Defender LTX M/S or the Sumitomos?

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
In theory, heavier weight equates to stronger sidewalls, resulting in less squirm, especially when towing, allowing the truck/trailer to track straighter. Given a choice I
I would opt for a stronger tire with a higher weight rating, if that tire had a good reputation. And there's the rub. Reputation is mostly based on anecdotal evidence rather than specific tire reviews or testing.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Get the Es. No brainer. And yes they'll last you much longer than the nominal upcharge and be safer/more stable.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
pick your poison. somewhat Harsher ride when empty with E rated tire and a few more $ up front, Much poorer handling and possibly a few white knuckle experiences when towing with C LR tire.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a 7000 lb trailer you definitely want light truck tires, no question. Load range E sounds about right ๐Ÿ™‚

As for brand, tread pattern, etc. there are as many opinions as there are tires.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
The truck tire will have stronger sidewall and not flex as much when towing the trailer and having it pushing the rear of the truck around which causes sway. You can air down when not towing and improve the ride somewhat.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
LT265/70x17 E-load tires have been normal for years.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I dont think the compound or the structure is the same at all.
The truck tire will give the best service but will ride harsher.
There's always a trade-off aint there?