cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

made my truck tow much better!

lancekeys
Explorer
Explorer
I finally found the secret to make my truck tow my 5er much better. Normally when we go camping, my wife and the kids jump in her suv and I follow with the truck and trailer. This time I told the wife to go ahead and I would meet her at the campground. Much better! I could go at my own pace and did not try to have to keep up with her. It is amazing how much better my truck tows when I am not comparing it to an unloaded SUV going down the road, it was quite relaxing actually. Did the same thing on the way home with equal results. Normally after a trip camping I have new truck fever and I start watching the net for a deal on a truck. Not this time! I guess I can keep my old truck and avoid payments for a little longer.
1999 dodge 2500 360 V-8
2002 28' Forest River Wildcat fifth wheel
22 REPLIES 22

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
I've made many trips where we were running two vehicles. I always had the DW follow about 1/4 mile behind me. This gives her plenty of time to adjust to any lane changes I make and I can monitor her fairly well in my mirrors and go back if she disappears for a while. She can catch up to me and blink her lights if I have a tire going bad or something. Like me, you've seen the families moving across country with the husband driving the Uhaul truck and the DW following 20' behind giving her no time to react and making it difficult for faster vehicles to get by them.
Currently Between RVs

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
Why 2 vehicles to go camping?

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
lancekeys wrote:
Yeah, she followed one time, that was no fun, had to hear about it when we got there. Did you know you drove 55 when the speed limit was 65...

Yes I did learn to tow better.

Next trip, which will be about a four hour drive, I will leave about 3 hours ahead of her and let her catch up. That way if I break down she can pick me up as she drives by.

Now that sounds like a plan!!!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

lancekeys
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, she followed one time, that was no fun, had to hear about it when we got there. Did you know you drove 55 when the speed limit was 65...

Yes I did learn to tow better.

Next trip, which will be about a four hour drive, I will leave about 3 hours ahead of her and let her catch up. That way if I break down she can pick me up as she drives by.
1999 dodge 2500 360 V-8
2002 28' Forest River Wildcat fifth wheel

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
How did you know the route? How did you know when to hit the brake or turn off the turn signal? I could go on for several more but you get the idea.

Of course I am just messin with ya.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Vannnce
Explorer
Explorer
When we travel, my wife fallows. For the reason you stated, as well as being able to see if anything behind me looks wrong.
'02 f350 ECLB with some goodies. B&W/ Companion
2002 fleetwood prowler 32R-D
Full time RV'er, currently in Houston, TX

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Instead of truck towing better.......wouldn't that be YOU learned to tow better :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Good plan...you should never compete with your wife...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro