cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

made my truck tow much better!

lancekeys
Explorer
Explorer
I finally found the secret to make my truck tow my 5er much better. Normally when we go camping, my wife and the kids jump in her suv and I follow with the truck and trailer. This time I told the wife to go ahead and I would meet her at the campground. Much better! I could go at my own pace and did not try to have to keep up with her. It is amazing how much better my truck tows when I am not comparing it to an unloaded SUV going down the road, it was quite relaxing actually. Did the same thing on the way home with equal results. Normally after a trip camping I have new truck fever and I start watching the net for a deal on a truck. Not this time! I guess I can keep my old truck and avoid payments for a little longer.
1999 dodge 2500 360 V-8
2002 28' Forest River Wildcat fifth wheel
22 REPLIES 22

lancekeys
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I currently have a regular cab truck, so no room for the wife and two kids in car seats. The trailer is up for sale and we are going to find a bumper pull to pull behind my wife's Tahoe, so that will put us all in the same vehicle at some point. As for right now, got to make the best of what we have.
1999 dodge 2500 360 V-8
2002 28' Forest River Wildcat fifth wheel

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Ya! We go as a family. Love to Fight all the way and she thinks I 95 means drive 95. Italians!!

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
katoom400 wrote:
... I'm thinking that may be the way to go to ease her NCS "nervous co-pilot syndrome"...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOL 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

I'm gonna use that one!!!
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
The wife normally reads her Kindle while we tow down the road.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
They don't make that much noise when you marry them. Mine sleeps, reads, or talks on the phone the whole time so I can't listen to my music anyway. The turbo spooling is my only auditory pleasure while towing. I wouldn't trade her for anything.

So you are keeping the truck, huh?;)
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

katoom400
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
katoom400 wrote:
waste of family time? if you call "family time" wifey constantly telling me to slow down..."there's a hair pin turn coming", the dog barking at every toll attendant, the nervous looks every time the trailer and truck do a little bouncing....yeah, I would rather burn the extra fuel and be alone in the truck...it's not like she every shares in the driving anyway!

She is a nervouse wreck the whole way...I thought about upgrading to a 2500, but my (paid for) 2010 tundra does a fine job of pulling my 2014 outback 250rs(6k lbs empty)

I don't know if a heavy duty truck is going to change her worries.

We where at a RV show over the weekend and a 25' class c caught our attention. I'm thinking that may be the way to go to ease her NCS "nervous co-pilot syndrome"...heck, she may even share in the driving then!

with the price of a new HD truck @ ~40-$50k, a new small class c at $57k doesn't sound all that bad.

of course that opens a different can of worms...I'll need to tow a car on the longer trips...or rent one when we get there. where do the 3 kayaks go, firewood, 4 bicycles, grill and all the other******I stuff in the 8' bed...

who am I kidding...she won't go for a new class c or a new HD truck......carry on!

Man, if my wife made that much noise, I couldn't have married her. You must be tougher than I am.

Ohh, it's actually good entertainment....

This past August, we where on our way up to NH and while coming thru CT, the GPS thought it would be a good idea to send us up rt 15 (no comercial traffic allowed)...who am I to argue with the GPS....surely it knows more than a dummy like me.....

Well, the cars honking at me as I was making the turn to the on ramp SOULD have been a clue...but no...blindly following the GPS, I keep going...

about a mile down the road wifey reads the sign..."clearance 9'6""...here is how the conversation went:

Wifey: "The sign says that overpass right there is 9'6" how tall are we?"

Me: "silence"

Wifey: "Did you hear me? How tall are we?"

Me: "silence, as I put my blinker on and move to the center lane still doing 65mph"

Wifey: "What are you doing, How tall are we?"

Me right as we are about go under: "10'3" about to be 9'6"

Wifey: "SILENCE!"

Everything was fine since the overpass was arched and I know they always post the lowest point (in this case the outside lanes)..But I was nervous also..just didn't say a word and immediately took the next exit.

Now I'm pretty sure if someone offered her $1000 for the trailer, she would have sold it right there on the spot!

Lesson learned! NEVER TRUST GPS!!!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
They don't make that much noise when you marry them. Mine sleeps, reads, or talks on the phone the whole time so I can't listen to my music anyway. The turbo spooling is my only auditory pleasure while towing. I wouldn't trade her for anything.
Puma 30RKSS

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Going through the same thing as I post. Even looked at the C's. Now looking to upgrading the truck to ease her panic. Maybe the separate vehicles could work for us. At least I could listen to Willie instead of the Beach Boys.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
katoom400 wrote:
waste of family time? if you call "family time" wifey constantly telling me to slow down..."there's a hair pin turn coming", the dog barking at every toll attendant, the nervous looks every time the trailer and truck do a little bouncing....yeah, I would rather burn the extra fuel and be alone in the truck...it's not like she every shares in the driving anyway!

She is a nervouse wreck the whole way...I thought about upgrading to a 2500, but my (paid for) 2010 tundra does a fine job of pulling my 2014 outback 250rs(6k lbs empty)

We where at a RV show over the weekend and a 25' class c caught our attention. I'm thinking that may be the way to go to ease her NCS "nervous co-pilot syndrome"...heck, she may even share in the driving then!

with the price of a new HD truck @ ~40-$50k, a new small class c at $57k doesn't sound all that bad.

of course that opens a different can of worms...I'll need to tow a car on the longer trips...or rent one when we get there. where do the 3 kayaks go, firewood, 4 bicycles, grill and all the other******I stuff in the 8' bed...

who am I kidding...she won't go for a new class c or a new HD truck......carry on!

Man, if my wife made that much noise, I couldn't have married her. You must be tougher than I am.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
katoom400 wrote:

Hahaha good post! Made me laugh.

I guess i will count my lucky stars that my wife just reads and tends to the kids on trips. She has also driven with the 5er a few times as well (just not when we pull doubles)
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat

katoom400
Explorer
Explorer

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
His truck could be a regular cab and therefore no room for the gang? Sounds peaceful to me.
Puma 30RKSS

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Garry&Gayle wrote:
We have never done that, always go as a family.

This^^^

What is the purpose of taking 2 vehicles? Seems like a waste of fuel and family time.
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
We have never done that, always go as a family.