cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxxis Load D To E - Bouncy Ride

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Had maxxis load E's mounted and balanced to replace my factory D's. TT weighs about 9500 loaded but wanted peace of mind. Drove home and ride was bouncy and I could feel it in the drivers seat. Called back and they said they balanced out fine, no tire flat spots and rims were all good. They aired them up to 80 psi per my request. Told them I was going to bring back to have them re look at the balancing.

They called back and said that I should air down to 65 psi to soften ride since that is what I had before. I said if I did that I would lose the benefit of having an E tire. Is that even correct to say. They said it will be a sacrifice of a stiffer ride at 80 and more weight carrying capacity on the tire of a softer ride and not getting the full benefit of the E's capacity.

I don't know if I should believe them so I am asking you folks. Please advise what I should do. I don't mind going to 72-75 psi but at 65 I could have stuck with a D tire. Thanks
52 REPLIES 52

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Hunting dog

Nobody is making excuses, they are just stating facts.And the fact is that their ST tires fail at a horrific rate.... And they seem to think that it was somehow never the tires fault.

People can whine all they want but the fact remains that the TT and 5ver tire market is well over a million a year, plus the cargo trailer market, plus the horse trailer market, plus the farm trailer market not to mention the large and small boat trailers.

Trailer makers know their products and what tire serves them best.
Here is a news flash. What serves them best is what makes ...the most profit! They can care less about a quality product. Hiding behind an industry standard label only gives them cover to keep using junk that they make more money on.

They even offer tires for those specialized or unusual applications, I mentioned.

The only somewhat accurate statement.... SOME high end manufacturerss offer LT tires as an upgrade. Fewer offer them as standard equipment. But most do not. They act as if their tire choice is the best possible one.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
I'm confused by this entire thread.

OP says the trailer bounces...but does it bounce at 65psi and 80psi?

And people who think they can buy a "good quality"/"better tire" that is invulnerable to curb, pot holes and general damage is living a fairy tale. There is no such tire.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hunting dog

Nobody is making excuses, they are just stating facts.

People can whine all they want but the fact remains that the TT and 5ver tire market is well over a million a year, plus the cargo trailer market, plus the horse trailer market, plus the farm trailer market not to mention the large and small boat trailers.

Trailer makers know their products and what tire serves them best.

They even offer tires for those specialized or unusual applications, I mentioned.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
I am sure that there are TTs that need special service tires for tough environments; off road travel, stone and gravel roads or even poorly maintained paved road come to mind.

I would say the average TT is designed by the manufacturer for highway/interstate service from campground to campground. Replacing the standard highway service tire with a rough service tire may not be the best option for normal highway use.

Not everyone needs the “Bigfoot” monster truck to get where they are going with a off road TT to match.

Now that is funny:R
I am constantly amazed at the excuses some make for their tires poor performance..... One actually admitted that he had 2 of the vaunted MAXXIS tires fail.... But it wasn't the tires fault, as he had curbed one, and another had a previous puncture.... These excuses are ludicrous to me. I won't accept such poor performance out of a tire.
And neither should amyone else.... But it is a free country. Some seem to relish in babying their tires and making excuses for them.

Me? I'd rather spend the money upfront for good quality, and then spend my time actually USING the TT without tire failures, or worrying that an accidental curbing or a few MPH over 65 is gonna cause me a headache later on.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am sure that there are TTs that need special service tires for tough environments; off road travel, stone and gravel roads or even poorly maintained paved road come to mind.

I would say the average TT is designed by the manufacturer for highway/interstate service from campground to campground. Replacing the standard highway service tire with a rough service tire may not be the best option for normal highway use.

Not everyone needs the “Bigfoot” monster truck to get where they are going with a off road TT to match.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
One would think that 10 belts would be stronger, tougher and more puncher resistant than 8 belts. But, unless you are a tire designer it is hard to say.

It could be that 10 thin belts are more flexible than 8 thicker belts and run cooler.

It is anybody's guess.

All we know is tires are designed and tested or specific applications.

Actually the ST and LT tires in question all are a two ply carcass with two steel tread belts. Looking at Goodyear Marathon specs shows the 16" E is 4 lbs heavier than the same 16" size D tire.
The difference is the two plies in the E tire are stronger/heavier than the two plies in the D tire and same with D vs C and so on down the chain.

Number of ply exceptions are the Michelin Ribs and the Bridgestone R-250 are a single steel ply carcass with the usual two steel tread belts..... and some off road tires such as the BFG Mud Terrains are advertised as having three sidewall plies.
Sailun doesn't show much tech "stuff" in their website adds so I have no idea how many carcass plies they have.

When we ran the old 8 and 10 actual ply truck tires they ran very hot when carrying a load....even at max psi and would over time start shedding treads.
Look at a big rig 22.5" tire sometime. They may be a 16 ply rating but are just 5 very heavy plies. Less plies = less flex = less heat running down the highway at interstate speeds.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
What's the difference between ply's and belts? The D is 8 ply and the E is 10 ply. Surely 10 ply's are better than 8.
The ply or belt is a strength rating. It doesn't relate to a physical count of belts. Again the D and E tires are virtually identical in appearance and weight.
MM49
It's spliting hairs.
Years ago, an 8 ply tire had 8 plies, and a 10 ply had 10.

Now they go by ratings an 8 ply rated tire won't have 8 plies in it, but will have the strength of an old 8 ply tire.
What hasn't changed is that a 10 ply rated tire WILL be stronger than a 8 ply rated tire.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
What's the difference between ply's and belts? The D is 8 ply and the E is 10 ply. Surely 10 ply's are better than 8.
The ply or belt is a strength rating. It doesn't relate to a physical count of belts. Again the D and E tires are virtually identical in appearance and weight.
MM49

OBSPowerstroke
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
I did it because i am on a gravel roads alot. The extra carcass helps and the lower pressure keeps from getting rock punctures.

^^This. Gravel and dirt roads put a lot more stress on the tires.

Some friends of mine discovered this the hard way over the weekend when they had a blowout on their single axle trailer after towing down a 20 mile stretch of gravel. They had the cheap factory 14" C rated tires and were likely well over the tire rating on the slide side of the trailer due to how the trailer is built. Fortunately only the wheel was damaged and the first thing they did when they got back was ordered up a set of 15" rims and some Goodyear Cargo G26 ribs.

I jumped from Load Range C China Bombs to Load Range D Maxxis tires before I had any issues and, knock on wood, haven't had any tire related mishaps after many thousands of miles towing on all types of surfaces and temperatures ranging from 10 to 110 degrees.
Josh
'16 Ford F350
'11 Komfort Resort 240RK
Portland, OR

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
One would think that 10 belts would be stronger, tougher and more puncher resistant than 8 belts. But, unless you are a tire designer it is hard to say.

It could be that 10 thin belts are more flexible than 8 thicker belts and run cooler.

It is anybody's guess.

All we know is tires are designed and tested or specific applications.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
I went from C to E rated tire last year. I run them at 65 which is the max pressure for my rim. My rational is the E has two extra belts over the D and hence a stronger tire. You don't gain any load capability (which I don't need, a D tire would give be me plenty of reserve capacity) with the E at 65 vs the D at 65, but you do have a stronger tire.

I have put 8000 miles on these tires and noticed no difference in ride at all.
I agree with your rationale. Your logic sounds good, but it doesn't line up with reality. The amount of belts in the two tires is the same. The D and E tires are the same construction. The materials are different
MM49

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I have them set to 75 psi and have a 150 mile trip planned today. We'll see how it rides.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
I went from C to E rated tire last year. I run them at 65 which is the max pressure for my rim. My rationale is the E has two extra belts over the D and hence a stronger tire. You don't gain any load capability (which I don't need, a D tire would give be me plenty of reserve capacity) with the E at 65 vs the D at 65, but you do have a stronger tire.
I agree with your rationale.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
I went from C to E rated tire last year. I run them at 65 which is the max pressure for my rim. My rational is the E has two extra belts over the D and hence a stronger tire. You don't gain any load capability (which I don't need, a D tire would give be me plenty of reserve capacity) with the E at 65 vs the D at 65, but you do have a stronger tire.

I have put 8000 miles on these tires and noticed no difference in ride at all.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000