cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maxxis Tires c or d

polkcraig
Explorer
Explorer
I have a jayco 2006 29bhs. I need to replace the tires and thinking of using maxxis. the stock rims say they are rated for 1820lbs and the c class maxxis tires are the same 1820lbs. would it hurt to move up to the d class rated at 2150lbs. or should I stay with the c class tires?
22 REPLIES 22

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I have the same 205-15 and steel wheels on my trailer. I moved up to D and 65 psi last go around and all has been fine four years now. Although the Denmans only lasted 3.5 years. Hopefully the new MAXXIS last longer.

Never read a post of a steel wheel failure from going an extra 15 psi.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
From past experience I would load up heavy for a trip ans weight it and make sure your tires added up equal or high for the load. don't always believe manufacturers rating on the tag, look for yourself. higher rating is always better.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

PartyMarty
Explorer
Explorer
Aluminum wheels will sometimes have a weight stamp visible from the inside of the wheel on a spoke .
My aftermarket Weld wheels for my duramax pickup are rated for 3415 pounds at 80 psi .
When an aluminum wheel fails it does not fail catastrophically .
It develops a hairline crack , often at the ridge between vertical and horizontal faces of the wheel .
The wheel loses its ability to hold air .
The tire will go flat in a hurry when this occurs .
Of course a constant vigilance of the tire condition is a good idea on many fronts .
The tire is always the weakest link of the components of tire / wheel / bearings / axle .
Upgrading the tire is a good idea to raise the threshold of reliability .

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Lowsuv wrote:

Steel RV wheels are not rated for maximum 50 psi .
The wheels may be rated for 1820 # rating at 50 psi but that does not limit the use of a 65 psi tire which is a D rating.

What about aluminum? All I could find was a weight rating on my last two sets.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
We like to think a higher rated tire is bigger, stronger, tougher and will run faster and jump higher. All we know is that it is made to handle a heavier load.

Like any of your other vehicles the TT manufacturer selected the tire size to handle the expected load. If you routinely upgrade your other vehicle tires it would make sense to do the same with your TT tires.

Often the price difference between an upgraded tire and the issued tire is minimal so we upgrade on the assumption that they will perform as least as good as the previous set.

It is kind of like chicken soup, it cannot hurt.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Lowsuv wrote:

Take a look at Goodyear Cargo G26 in a 225/70R15D on an LT scale of 2450 # weight rating .
Made in the USA and is more tire than any ST made in Thailand or Asia or wherever all of these ST tires originate .

According to TireRack these are indeed Load range D, but they are European spec (and made in Germany or France), so they are 225/70R15C where the C stands for "Commercial" not the Load Range. And at max 65psi they can support 2470psi.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your rims are good to go with the D tire, by all means go to the D. It never hurts to add more cushion.

I stayed with C's on my trailer since I would have had to change 4 rims. Besides, WRT tires, I have a cushion of 2330# with C's on my trailer. Total weight for the tires 1,820 * 4 = 7280. The GVWR of the trailer is 4950.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
What size rims are your C's on? Just recently found out through another thread related to this subject that Maxxis only make D rated tires in 15" &16" sizes.

Personally I would always go to a higher rating if I could.

My Maxxis 15" tires are Load Range E.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
There are no E rated 14 inch tires .
The best you can do is a D rated tire .
Steel RV wheels are not rated for maximum 50 psi .
The wheels may be rated for 1820 # rating at 50 psi but that does not limit the use of a 65 psi tire which is a D rating .
You create no problems by going to a 2271 # rated tire such as the Kumho 857 radial in a 205R14 load range D as long as you have clearance .
Your carrying capacity is now limited by the wheel rating or the axle rating .
The tire is the weakest link on OEM equipment .
Compare the dimensions of your current tire to the 205R14 Kumho 857 .
If you have clearance you are good to go .
I put them on my boat trailer .
I raised the boat trailer fenders by 1.5 inches .
2271 divided by 1760 pounds equals 129 % capacity in my trailer tires now .
My spare has never seen the ground .
There are several choices in a 15 inch with an E rating .
The key is to go to a higher weight rating in pounds as displayed on the sidewall .
Take a look at Goodyear Cargo G26 in a 225/70R15D on an LT scale of 2450 # weight rating .
Made in the USA and is more tire than any ST made in Thailand or Asia or wherever all of these ST tires originate .

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Some rim manufacturers stamp the max rim pressure on the inside of the rim; typically on a 'spoke'. You might want to contact Jayco and see if they have the info or can link you up with the rim manufacturer.

... Eric

polkcraig
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure what the psi rating is for the rim, I cant seem to find anyone that knows. Stamped on the rim is 1820lbs. That is the only thing I can find.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
I ran a set of those in 205/75R14 on my previous trailer for a season in load range E and was nothing but impressed with how the trailer handled, I will upgrade my current unit to Maxxis tires once the time comes.

Where did you find an "E" rated 14" tire? I've only seen those from Kumho.

O.P.
What PSI are your rims rated for? Putting 65lbs. in a rim rated for 50lbs. is a 30% overload. It may be fine, as I've never heard of a rim exploding from excess psi, but it would still scare me.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
We just traded in our 2005 Eagle 29bhs. Last year I replaced the tires with Maxxis 'E' on that trailer (it came with 'D'). Ours towed closer to the 9000lb weight, I certainly wouldn't go with 'C'.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I ran a set of those in 205/75R14 on my previous trailer for a season in load range E and was nothing but impressed with how the trailer handled, I will upgrade my current unit to Maxxis tires once the time comes.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7