cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metal Floor Register - seal/cover - semi permanent

Msu50000
Explorer
Explorer
We have a floor register from the furnace in a very unusual spot and after dealing with it for 2 seasons now I want to seal it off. It's right outside of the shower and when I step out or my wife steps out it's a natural landing spot for your foot. Well even though we try to avoid it, I still manage to hit it just using and going in and out of the bathroom. It's dented in slightly. I'd like to seal it permanently with a metal cover that can hold some weight, I can't find anything. Any ideas on how I can accomplish this?
2015 F150 Platinum (sold)
2018 F250 6.2L Lariat
2017 Coachmen Catalina 333BHTCSK
10 REPLIES 10

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:
Heavy duty registers are available. I replaced all of mine. The new ones won't break. IDRC where I got them, but a search will turn it up.

And X2 on the caution about restricting airflow. I personally would not cover or block off any of them. The heater installation, manuals state just what is needed. Maybe you can block it off, or maybe you can't. You simply do not know if YOUR TT has more airflow than is needed. Restricting it below what is specified will cause the heater to overheat the combustion chamber..... There SHOULD be a safety switch to shut it down in that case... But it may not work , and I believe on at least some heaters, it is a one time switch.... IOW, when it blows, it needs replacing. This is so people do not keep running a heater that continuously trips the safety switch... A heater that does that NEEDS to have a repair done.

If you are dead set on closing off that vent... See if you can add one where it will be useful.
I did that on my TT, it was an easy cheap project, and now the BH has the heat it needs.

It's called a 'high limit switch'....will shut down furnace if heat exchanger air temp rise too high (depending on model 130*F---190*F)
Self resetting when temp drops

Atwood Water Heater uses a one time 'thermal fuse' blows at 190*F and has to be replaced

Closing off register MAY limit airflow enough to cause furnace to shut down.....MAY
Try it...if furnace shuts down don't do it again
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Heavy duty registers are available. I replaced all of mine. The new ones won't break. IDRC where I got them, but a search will turn it up.

And X2 on the caution about restricting airflow. I personally would not cover or block off any of them. The heater installation, manuals state just what is needed. Maybe you can block it off, or maybe you can't. You simply do not know if YOUR TT has more airflow than is needed. Restricting it below what is specified will cause the heater to overheat the combustion chamber..... There SHOULD be a safety switch to shut it down in that case... But it may not work , and I believe on at least some heaters, it is a one time switch.... IOW, when it blows, it needs replacing. This is so people do not keep running a heater that continuously trips the safety switch... A heater that does that NEEDS to have a repair done.

If you are dead set on closing off that vent... See if you can add one where it will be useful.
I did that on my TT, it was an easy cheap project, and now the BH has the heat it needs.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
You could alwaya buy a real regiater with adjuatavle louvers and close it, then throw a rug over it. If you ever need it, simply open the louvers.

Exactly what we did
OEM registers were thin and I broke several when I stepped on them.

Pickup replacements that were thicker material and adjustable at Home Depot.

Also picked up a couple 8x11 magnetic sheets at Hobby Lobby and cut one to fit register in Kitchen to keep 'stuff' from falling in
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could alwaya buy a real regiater with adjuatavle louvers and close it, then throw a rug over it. If you ever need it, simply open the louvers.

Msu50000
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks that is definitely a consideration. We still have 3 of 4 open...
2018 F250 6.2L Lariat

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Just one caution and that is if too many of the registers are sealed the furnace will not have enough vents to allow air flow. One sealed vent should not be a problem but our rig has a vent with adjustable louvers that can shut off completely which would then mean two sealed vents out of four.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Msu50000
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent, I've seen some thin stock there, I'll check for some thicker gauge. Thanks all.
2018 F250 6.2L Lariat

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
Stock aluminum or steel at any hardware store.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

Msu50000
Explorer
Explorer
That would probably work. Silly question, where would I get flat stock like that?
2018 F250 6.2L Lariat

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'd just throw a bath mat over it. you could cut a piece of metal to the same size, pull out old grille and put flat piece in.?"
bumpy