cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michelin or Yokahama?

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace my Michelin LTX MS2's (under warranty for premature ozone cracking) and I wonder if any has had any experience with Yokahama and how they compare to the Michelin's? Specifically YK-HTX). I believe that they are a new series with enhanced ozone protection. I like the Michelins but have had them on less than 2yrs and very few miles. I don't think my size was involved with the recall in 2013. Any opinions will be appreciated!
31 REPLIES 31

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear there is someone, (or two) that have had good luck with Miche's. I guess Murphy's Law is real.

Brad_NSW
Explorer
Explorer
At 210K miles, just ordering my 4th set of Michelin LTX MS2's.

70K out of each set. Sidewalls do start microcracking around 50K or 3.5years but the mileage gets to my tread before it becomes a problem. Expect I could go 5 years or more before the micro-cracking became a big concern.

Traction isn't great but I've taken it on some 4wd trails and the jeeps can't believe I've only got 2wd. Only been stuck once when the wife backed it up into the mud to pull out a boat.
USN Ret. 03Ram3500, 5.9CTD, 5spd, SRW, ATS filter, S&B Intake, IssPro (Pyro, Boost, Fuel, Trans & R Dif) SMARTY SR, Prodigy Controller, AirDog 100. 09Montana 3665RE 5er, 6 TST Tire monitors. Pakbrake Ex brake & airbags, 12' Baltik inflatable w/3.3HP OBM

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nearly 40K and I don't see any cracking. Tread looks pretty darn good also. Michelin MS2's

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Hemi_Power
Explorer
Explorer
I looked for a while trying to decide which tires to pick to replace the original BFG's that came on my 08 MegaCab. I wanted a good riding road tire since I use my truck 90% of the time just to tow my 5th. I bought Nitto Dura Grapplers last July. Great ride and quiet and remarkably good in the snow considering they are a highway tire. I guess time will tell how they hold up
2006 Puma 249 Fifth Wheel
2008 Dodge 1500 HEMI Mega Cab
Reese 16K Signature Series Slider Hitch

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
Got them today, (Yokahama YK-HTX) at Discount. Slightly wider, bit less ride noise but time will tell regarding ozone cracks. Thanks everyone for their inputs.

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
I have no experience with Yokohama tires. Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience with Michelins. They crack. I was gullible enough to allow the Discount Tire guy to talk me into another set, and they cracked significantly within 2 years. For my money, I would select another brand rather than Michelins.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
I got the Michelins at Costco and they could not properly balance them. They wrote on the receipt something cryptic about balancing and luckily I looked at it in the cab before driving away. I went back in and asked them about it and they said they could not balance the tires because they were too big for their machine. Sheesh. They had also severely underinflated the inner duallys even though I told them to make sure the pressures were set properly PLEASE. Ended up taking them to a real tire store that deals with a lot of trucks (Bruce's Tire).

The Michelin's are great now that they are mounted properly, but time will tell on the cracking. I like the idea of going 70K on a tire, but I doubt that will happen as I don't drive it enough.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the reply's. I guess the Yokahama's I'm looking at have not been out long enough for any feedback. It is good to see that those with other models support them. I will likely go with them! I imagine that any mfg. would have some issues, it seems that Mich. has had more than their share. BTW I like Costco also but Discount has always been willing to meet the Costco price I have shown them, even with Costco's $70.00 off. Also Costco does not offer Road Hazard certs. Although they are an additional cost at Discount I has more than covered the cost of a new tire. Also with so many Discounts across the country it has proven very convenient.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Michelin LTX a/t2 were the worst tire I've ever owned. Poor traction and wore out in 25k miles. They were quiet and I thought the ride was good. I now have 25,000 miles on a set of Good Year Wrangler Adventures on my truck. They are much better than the Michelin for both winter traction and wear. I expect to get about double the use able tread life I got out of the Michelin.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bamaman1 wrote:
I put a set of Michelin ATX MS/2's on my 3/4 ton diesel last week. Maybe so many have dry rot problems is because they last incredibly long--90K miles are often reported. After 2 sets of Firestones and a Toyo Open Country A/T's, I really like the new Michelins.

The cheapest place I've found'em is Costco with a $70 (4 tire) Michelin sales incentive taken at the register.

Hope I don't pop your bubble but Discount tire destroyed Costco on the set of MS2's I currently have on my 11 RAM Dually.

I priced both Discount and Costco again for the MS2's I will be installing on my 15 RAM Dually when it comes in. I paid a touch over $1,300 including tax at Discount. Costco was nearly $1,500.

I've only got 40k miles on mine. I think the Sub Tropical climate...90 degree summers and 90% humidity do not play well with these tires.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bamaman1 wrote:
I put a set of Michelin ATX MS/2's on my 3/4 ton diesel last week. Maybe so many have dry rot problems is because they last incredibly long--90K miles are often reported. After 2 sets of Firestones and a Toyo Open Country A/T's, I really like the new Michelins.

The cheapest place I've found'em is Costco with a $70 (4 tire) Michelin sales incentive taken at the register.

Hope I don't pop your bubble but Discount tire destroyed Costco on the set of MS2's I currently have on my 11 RAM Dually.

I priced both Discount and Costco again for the MS2's I will be installing on my 15 RAM Dually when it comes in. I paid a touch over $1,300 including tax at Discount. Costco was nearly $1,500.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
Kind of surprised that the thread has so many against Michellin. That brand usually has a strong following.

I will need new tires on my 3500 this year. WIll get in the neighborhood of 40,000 miles out of the OEM General's, which in my experience isn't terrible. Was thinking LX2 was the way to go, now I am not so sure. Will need to do some more research.

Lucky you will get 40K with the POS Generals. At 25K I developed a tread separation so I dumped them. At 25K they were 2/3 worn out.

Replaced with Michelin MS2's and now have nearly 40K with easily 1/2 the tread left.

I am so pleased with the MS2's that I have a set waiting at Discount tire to go on my new 15 RAM Dually when it comes in on the 26th. So the new NEXEN will go on Craig's List.

On my RAM 2500 4X4 truck I easily made 120K with Michelin factory take offs and over 100K with BFG take offs.

Never have seen any type of crack on the several sets of Michelins I have had over the years.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have read about the cracking issues with Michelins, and seen the pictures, but I have not experienced the problem. My Ridgeline came with LTX2's and I just changed them after 9+ years of service as they were down to 3/32's thread. They wore evenly and had no cracks anywhere. I replaced them with Bridgestones because they were on sale and this will be the first time trying them. I have Michelins on my Ford and 5th wheel so time will tell on them.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Kind of surprised that the thread has so many against Michellin. That brand usually has a strong following.

I will need new tires on my 3500 this year. WIll get in the neighborhood of 40,000 miles out of the OEM General's, which in my experience isn't terrible. Was thinking LX2 was the way to go, now I am not so sure. Will need to do some more research.

I was thinking the same setup. Not real impressed with the wear on the generals at 37K I will try and get through until well into next summer before replacing but think I'll still stay with the Michelins.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP