cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Might be time for new TV.....

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
Started my truck this morning to go and get oil filter for DW's car. Immediately noticed the flashing "Lamp Out" warning light on the dash. While checking the lights the truck engine seemed to stumble a couple of times.

For lights I have driver's side day time running light working, passenger side rear tail light, and the only turn signal is front passenger side. Everything worked 3 days ago when I parked the truck.

I know there is an engine code identifying the Control Module as a problem. A "reconditioned" control module is about $2500 at the nearest parts place. This is after I just spent close to another $3K on engine repairs, with no noticeable improvement. Although it has to go back and have everything re-torqued and double checked, because the parts put on are subject to a lot of heat/cool cycling.

Just need to find some work to pay for the new TV.
Dan
17 REPLIES 17

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, post that question on a Cummins forum...
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I am leaning to what bucky said.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd post your issues on a Dodge forum. There are some issues with some early 3rd gens. Idk what the fox is but you should get more info from a dedicated site, or google.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
My '03 hemi had a gremlin instrument panel.
I could be sitting in the truck with the ignition off and it would out of the blue light up and gauges come on, then go back out.
They had to remove my instrument cluster and send it to out to have the odometer removed and reinstalled in the new cluster, and then send it back to the dealer to reinstall.

skidooman93
Explorer
Explorer
Rough idle and lighten issues should be fixable for a lot easier than $2500 especially on a 03. No way a ECM should cost $2500 but Chrysler may consider them obsolete, you might be able to get a used one. I don't think that era was Vin coded to the vehicle. I agree with another poster, check your grounds. I'd be willing to guess your mechanic friends left off or didn't clean one or more of the grounds when he did the work.
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.7 Cummins, 68RFE Rear Air Suspension
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.4 Hemi 4.10's Rear Coil Springs (Sold)
Anderson UCH
2014 Open Range 367BHS
1 wife, 1 Son, 1 Daughter, 1 Red Lab that wont come in the camper because hes a big baby, so he stays home.

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Something to consider, maybe way off base. Does the fan motor on the heater work? On my 04 Ram Dodge directed full juice from the fan motor through the ignition switch rather than using a relay. The heat build up caused the switch to fail. When I replaced mine it was evident it got pretty hot at one point. There is a lot of stuff routed through the switch. Good news was it was less than $40 on Amazon and took less than an hour to install.

Fan heater works fine on all settings. The only things I have noticed are the weird light issues and a rough idle.
Dan

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Something to consider, maybe way off base. Does the fan motor on the heater work? On my 04 Ram Dodge directed full juice from the fan motor through the ignition switch rather than using a relay. The heat build up caused the switch to fail. When I replaced mine it was evident it got pretty hot at one point. There is a lot of stuff routed through the switch. Good news was it was less than $40 on Amazon and took less than an hour to install.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
trailerbikecamper wrote:
OP here. The parts I had done on my 03 CTD were exhaust gaskets, studs and nuts, turbo gaskets and bolts, and valve cover seals and gasket. Because of the heating/cooling cycles my mechanic wants to check to see if anything has loosened due to the heating/cooling. I also had some coolant lines replaced, nothing was around the fuse panels or location of the ECM or BCM.

With the rough idle and weird lighting issues I may have more than one issue.

Check and clean the many ground connections thru out the engine bay. That is a first step in old vintage RAM with strange issues. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Totally integrated power modules did not rear their ugly heads until 2006.
The main problem with diaging most Chrysler/Daimler/FCA products is that the whole electrical system is bussed. My favorite phrase that they use is when a component is suspected to be defective "test it with a known good part."
Guess who ends up paying for that.
With the repairs you listed they certainly would have had parts of the electrical system disconnected. Go check for loose wires etc if you haven't already.
You can buy a service manual from Geno's pretty cheap. Be a good thing to have now and later if you plan on keeping the truck.
Puma 30RKSS

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. The parts I had done on my 03 CTD were exhaust gaskets, studs and nuts, turbo gaskets and bolts, and valve cover seals and gasket. Because of the heating/cooling cycles my mechanic wants to check to see if anything has loosened due to the heating/cooling. I also had some coolant lines replaced, nothing was around the fuse panels or location of the ECM or BCM.

With the rough idle and weird lighting issues I may have more than one issue.
Dan

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just sold my 03, and missed it for two weeks, then got a 18, and don't miss it anymore.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
He's probably talking about the TIPM, not the ECM.
You can buy one online for a whole lot less than $2500. Do some googling.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you still have the 03 CTD in your profile somebody is seriously trying to rip you off.
An engine control module would not have anything to do with lighting. Dodge clusters of that era could cause some weird stuff as can bad grounds or bad turn signal switches in the column.
Is something eating your wiring harness? Is your alt charging properly, batteries OK?
Dodge also had what they called a forward control module back then that lived in the engine compartment on the drivers side by the battery. It's location led to many cases of oddball corrosion issues. The circuit board is underneath the fuse box. I would think that things other than lighting would be affected by that though.
Don't rule out some mistake by that shop you referenced if that repair was recent enough.
Good luck with it.
Puma 30RKSS

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
That seems like a awful expressive ECM! A new ECM shouldn't cost more than $500 with programming. What year, make and model is your truck? If it is a newer truck the lighting issues will be in the BCM or Body Control Module not the ECM. You might only need to have it reflashed, but I would unhook the negative battery cable for ten minutes than re-connect it and see if the lighting problem goes away.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.