Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini-Split AC for TC

tcdave
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a bad rap song huh?

anyway, getting ready for a trip out west, really looking into installing a Mini-split AC/Heat pump system on my truck camper. It's cheaper and i can bypass all the electrical since i found one that is 110v.

Anybody done this?
24 REPLIES 24

tcdave
Explorer
Explorer
cewillis wrote:
There are some 12v dc mini-splits designed for mobile applications -- if you have big bucks, and plenty of battery and charging capacity.

30amps holy cow...

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
There are some 12v dc mini-splits designed for mobile applications -- if you have big bucks, and plenty of battery and charging capacity.
Cal

tcdave
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
tcdave wrote:
really looking into installing a Mini-split AC/Heat pump system on my truck camper. It's cheaper and i can bypass all the electrical since i found one that is 110v.

Anybody done this?

Something like this: 😉

YES!!!!! how did you secure the compressor? Rubber gromets?

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
tcdave wrote:
really looking into installing a Mini-split AC/Heat pump system on my truck camper. It's cheaper and i can bypass all the electrical since i found one that is 110v.

Anybody done this?

Something like this: 😉

tcdave
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
tcdave wrote:
I have a dually, so i was actully thinking of mounting the compressor on the side of the truck camper up close to the cab. As long as the fan blows outward you don't really need to be too far from a wall.

Are you thinking of hanging it bellow the side overhang of the camper? How would you clear the dual fenders unless it was behind the axle next to the rear skirt? Mounting it on a side wall will probably put you over the maximum width.

it might. it is 10 inches

tcdave
Explorer
Explorer
jmckelvy wrote:
tcdave wrote:
.......and i can bypass all the electrical since i found one that is 110v...

Not sure what you mean by this statement?????

put an outside 15amp box and run a cord so i can just plug into separate 110v plugin.

Bedlam
tcdave wrote:
I have a dually, so i was actully thinking of mounting the compressor on the side of the truck camper up close to the cab. As long as the fan blows outward you don't really need to be too far from a wall.

Are you thinking of hanging it bellow the side overhang of the camper? How would you clear the dual fenders unless it was behind the axle next to the rear skirt? Mounting it on a side wall will probably put you over the maximum width.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
tcdave wrote:
.......and i can bypass all the electrical since i found one that is 110v...

Not sure what you mean by this statement?????
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

tcdave
Explorer
Explorer

What i'm worried about is the compressor coils. I would have to mount it with some type of vibration dampeners.

i have room, but i would lose a cabinet.

Bedlam
Link: http://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/ductless-mini-split-air-conditioners

I like the idea of not having the roof air, but many people do not have the wall space to install the split system. Where would you mount the compressor?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD