cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Modifications

BlackSeriesUS
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's your favorite modification? Did it work out as expected? Or did it flop? Share some pics of your handy work.
39 REPLIES 39

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer

One of many mods. This was in 2000, 3 RVs ago:
4.0 K Onan Microquiet mounted underneath with a 26 gallon stainless steel tank also underneath. Fuel is accessed via 76 Dodge van filler neck mounted between the tounge frame rails with a locking cap. Genset is started with a remote switch and it has a transfer switch, in short it works just like a motorhome.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
BlackSeriesUS wrote:
What's your favorite modification? Did it work out as expected? Or did it flop? Share some pics of your handy work.

There are many, but the "area" that did the most good was, a total running gear/suspension/tire upgrade. It took several projects to complete the entire upgrade and across a few years. But the soundness of everything done, has proven over the years to be "worth it". Below are links to all the RV.net posts, this camper is still going strong and will continue that way for many more years to come.

This upgrade is costly, but if you plan on keeping your camper a good long time, and towing with it, it is worth it. This fits the 10,000# GVWR campers but applies to most any with the stock standard RV suspension/running gear system.

Axle upgrade (5,200# to 6,000# axle tubes) with adjustable axle seats to correct out of alignment wheel locations.
TT axle alignment & install - Detailed (long lot's of pics)

Spring hanger reinforcement to ward off cracked frame web issues.
TT Spring Hanger Stiffening (Long, lots of pics)

Greaseable Bronze spring pin bushing with heavy duty shackles and a rubber equalizer.
Dexter EZ flex upgrade

Adding Monroe gas shock absorbers mounted so they work correctly.
Adding TT Shock Absorbers (Long/lots of pics)

Dexter self adjusting brakes.
Dexter Self Adjusting Brakes (long W/pics and details)

Independent Brake wiring upgrade to no. 10 awg. tinned wire
Independent Brake Wire Feed Upgrade

ST225/75R15 to LT225/75R16 Tire and Trail-aire equalizer Conversion.
ST225/75R15 to LT225/75R16 Conversion

Balancing beads in place of wheel weights to deal with out of balance drums and tires.
Dnya Beads upgrade

LT tire replacements to Bridgestone Duravis R238
LT Tire Replacements - All season

All of the above should come with a new camper as standard, or at least be an option to buy it with them in place. Some brands are getting closer then they use to be to having all of them, but the list is only pertains to a few select brands.

Thanks

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
Decided to try the Oxygenics shower head again. Took the old, cheap pressure regulator out of the line. Park pressure pretty low. With the regulator out, the shower head performed much better. Time for a new regulator.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I also did similar for the underbed storage. Two drawers, and they only went part way back. 1) wanted some full depth, and 2) the space between the front of the bed and the wall was to short to put in full depth drawers. One of the best things we did.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I've made quite a few mods to our camper. One of my favorites is adding three drawers to the under-bed storage area.

This is the finished project.

The three drawers are the full extension type. I originally wanted two drawers, but the design of the bed platform used two intermediate stiles which created three obvious spaces to locate three drawers. I added a header above the drawers to reinforce the cabinet and provide support for a false bottom in the storage area above the drawers. I used a handsaw to cut the cabinet openings around the original stiles and the added header. Each drawer is just simple plywood box with a frame made from oval casing molding attached to the front of the drawer. The frame overhangs the drawer to create an overlay on the cabinet opening.

This photo shows the bed raised to access the trunk storage above the added drawers.

If you're interested in more photos of my mods you can link to them here.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30197633.cfm

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
What am I missing with the Oxygenics shower head. I got one and didn't care for it at all. Just a narrow stream of water out of the middle of the head. Went back to old style with full circle stream.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh, the one piece that got transferred from my old rig to new was my Oxygenics shower head, LOVE that thing. It's a fairly minor mod since it's screw on, but if you do boondocking or do state parks without full hookups it's a major upgrade. Heck, even just places with low pressure.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Added a new 120vac outlet for space heater

Cold weather upgrades such as insulating the cargo bay doors and the outdoor shower

Insulated the pass-through storage bay (bed platform)
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
a list
1) add spark ignitor to gas oven DW favorite update
2) since we boondock, toss the WFCO and replace with PD
3) put full extension slide out drawers in pantry
4) replace shower faucet with thermostatic control faucet
5) solar on the roof and portable solar for when we are in the shade
6) replace existing exhaust fans with Max air fans
7) rear camera integrated into NAV display on the truck
๐Ÿ˜Ž cut off rear bumper and made rear sliding tray for carrying "first setup stuff" and cooler
9) picked up REI e-bikes for our rides when camping!
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Switched out the attached power cord for a Marinco power port.

Added USB / 12v ports in an RV that didn't have any.

Added more USB ports and a switch to turn them off in my next RV
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
1) Adding rooftop solar... my original panel is now on its third coach in 18 years
2) Hardwiring a backup camera on my TT... zero latency compared to our wireless camera
3) Adding USB ports at the dinette
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm just a weekend camper. When I'm camping I don't take clothing that is fancy and needs to hang up. I put shelves in the wardrobe and I love it. I can store a lot more folded clothing on the shelves when I would be able to hang up and it's easier.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
New Pioneer stereo.
New table configuration.
Forest River Microlight is a great trailer.

Best mods were to Ford 7.3 liter diesel.
New AFE air cleaner.
Four inch exhaust from engine to tailpipe.
SCT tuner.

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Added fantastic fan over the bed.
Replaced the Hengs noisy over the range exhaust hood with the Fabulous Operating Products (same people that invented the fantastic fan) 3 speed exhaust fan with LED light.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Switched out the attached power cord for a Marinco power port.

Installed deck hatch covers on the propane/battery cover. Now I can just remove the small cover to turn on/off the propane or check the tank levels.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)