cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

More about GVWR

Wo_ody
Explorer
Explorer
All the discussion in the http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27785106.cfm tread has been interesting. To me, it all boiled down to sure the truck can handle an over-weight camper but is it legal and what is the penalty for not being legal.

OK, so what is sole measurement of a truck camper being weight legal? I stopped at an Interstate truck weighing station operated by the DMV. As has been correctly stated many times, only commercial vehicles are required to go through the Interstate scales. However, a state's mobile unit has the right to pull any vehicle over on a public road for any reason and weigh them on the spot.

The DMV told me, THE SINGLE DETERMINING LEGAL FACTOR FOR UNDER/OVER WEIGHT IS THE DECLARED WEIGHT IS ON THE VEHICLE'S STATE REGISTRATION...PERIOD.The manufacture's embossed tag on the door post is not binding; however, in most probability the registration and door post tag should match. Also, being "legal" has nothing to do with the axle manufacture's rated capacity of the rear axle or the tire manufacture's rated tire load. If the combined weight of all wheels exceeds registration weight, you are not legal. Also, and this is down to splitting hairs, you might be under registration weight but ticketed if front or rear axle exceeds auto manufacture's rating (ie, not axle manufacture's rating.

What is the penalty for being over weight? This may vary from state to state. Where I checked, it is $0.01 a pound plus processing fees. I was unable to determine the value of processing fees.

What concerns me the most is the possible liability of a civil suit if I was over weight and was at-fault in an accident. But realistically, determining the actual weight of a loaded truck camper at the time of an accident is a far stretch. IMHO,the odds of being weighed in a timely fashion at the scene of an accident are in your favor. However,if you do have an accident it would behoove you to get the gross vehicle weight as low as possible before the police arrive.

Yes officer, that accident scared the pee and poop right out of my camper and it's also been sweating ever since. Ha!
24 REPLIES 24

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's not from mine or yours. We aren't overloaded. ๐Ÿ™‚

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
rickeoni, that looks like I-90 from last weekend between Snoqualmie Pass and Easton! With an exception of a very short stretch just after the pass that was super smooth.

You did this with that F450 thingy of yours...;)
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
rickeoni, that looks like I-90 from last weekend between Snoqualmie Pass and Easton! With an exception of a very short stretch just after the pass that was super smooth.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
This is what happens to our roads when you over weight.

2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS

Wo_ody
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
What does any of this have to do with loading an amount of weight in your truck that you are comfortable driving with, will allow you to maintain control, does not pound your truck to pieces, and does not maim or kill you, your passengers, or anyone else on the road?

This is just, "Anything goes as long as you don't get caught!"

For some perhaps. However, those who play the game best know all the rules so they can make the better decisions. Remember, ignorance is not accepted in a courtroom.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
What does any of this have to do with loading an amount of weight in your truck that you are comfortable driving with, will allow you to maintain control, does not pound your truck to pieces, and does not maim or kill you, your passengers, or anyone else on the road?

This is just, "Anything goes as long as you don't get caught!"

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the latest info on GVWR in BC. Note the reliance on the Peace officers judgement to use visual clues to determine if the vehicle is unsafe and must be pulled off the road.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/references_publications/pdf/MV3231(082003)GVWR.pdf
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
If you read the Alberta vehicle act, the only requirement is Axle and Tire ratings. There is absolutely no mention of GVWR.
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I think if your rig looks solid, isn't dragging its a$$ and is sitting on a 1 ton like yours I doubt that anyone would take a second look even at a safety check.

Happy trails.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I have a trip to Prince George planned for next week, all this talk is making me a bit nervous. I think I may be over a bit, maybe a couple hundred pounds but I haven't found a scale to know for sure.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
rickeoni wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
There is an overpass near our place in BC. Underneath it is a traffic choke point where a lot of the traffic passes through. The RCMP coordinate with the highways guys and do safety checks on RV'S,. They watch for safety chains, trailers with no batteries, triple tows, and campers. With campers they take a look. If it looks questionable they put it on portable scales. If its over the GVWR you can unload cargo to make it legal or you can unload the camoer from the truck. Quite common to see campers sitting on the side of the road or a boat waiting to be towed. (Triple tow).

Where in BC is this?
2012 was the first year that the RCMP began training the detachments on overloaded RVs in the lower mainland.

Good morning. Near Vernon BC at swan lake turn off. Think they have been checking near golden BC ss well at that long pull out. Common to see stranded campers and boats there as well. I would ssy last year they set up 2 maybe three times over the summer. Amazing how many get pick up for no battery. Duh.
They have been checking there for years though.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
There is an overpass near our place in BC. Underneath it is a traffic choke point where a lot of the traffic passes through. The RCMP coordinate with the highways guys and do safety checks on RV'S,. They watch for safety chains, trailers with no batteries, triple tows, and campers. With campers they take a look. If it looks questionable they put it on portable scales. If its over the GVWR you can unload cargo to make it legal or you can unload the camoer from the truck. Quite common to see campers sitting on the side of the road or a boat waiting to be towed. (Triple tow).

Where in BC is this?
2012 was the first year that the RCMP began training the detachments on overloaded RVs in the lower mainland.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
After looking through the California vehicle code for awhile, it appeared that the declared weight is for commercial vehicles (mainly not pickups but rather chassis cabs, flat beds, and big trucks). If you filed a declared weight certificate when you registered, then you cannot drive it (or compel someone else to) over that weight. If you do so you are subject to a fine (if caught). This has as much to do with taxes as safety - maybe more to do with taxes. I have never filed a declared weight certificate for my pickup, and I can find no other statute in California covering the subject, other than one stating that a patrolman can cite you if in his opinion it is overloaded.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wo.ody- I appreciate your response to jimh425. It is pretty much my belief on the subject.

rickeoni- Great information. I have ask the same question; "Has anybody ever been personally cited for being overweight?". Never have I read a yes. Hopefully the readers will take note that you are referring to your understanding/experience in Canada. It is my understanding that on this subject, BC has different laws than other Canadian Provinces. Please correct me if this is incorrect.

I agree with your Hover Craft comment. To me, it is a love hate subject. I love it that we can get valuable information, and hate it when people just shoot from the hit.

John & Angela - That is good to know. I wonder if they treat us yanks the same as the BC'ers. What I mean is do they kinda appreciate our laws may be different? I sure see no reason to excuse obvious unsafe operation of any vehicle, but that is different that splitting hairs with door decals.

I have been in Canada a couple of times with my present rig. Using the BC laws, I am in violation. To my knowledge, I was never given a second glance.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke