cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorcycle on receiver rack.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Kicking around the idea of a small dual sport motorcycle. Probably no bigger than 250cc. Maybe carry it on a rack on the the front of the truck.
How do you get it on the rack? I realize the rack would/should include a ramp. Do you power it up the ramp while standing next to it? I see all kinds of accidents with that. Or at 70 years old will I be pushing it up the ramp onto the rack?
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive
16 REPLIES 16

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr_andyj wrote:
Curious why you ask a forum of people ,who are not likely to have a motorcycle and rack, and not go to youtube and watch a video of "how to"

Because he has a TC and there are a lot of creative people on this TC forum. Some YouTube people aren’t always the sharpest.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:
Curious why you ask a forum of people ,who are not likely to have a motorcycle and rack, and not go to youtube and watch a video of "how to"

A)Because I wanted to.
B)Because I was on my 3rd Wild Turkey.
C)Because You Tube is owned by Google.
D)All of the above.
E)None of the above.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Do you power it up the ramp while standing next to it?
Similar to loading a bike into a toyhauler you can just walk beside it slipping the clutch. Electric bikes are sweet but not the best for boondocking type situations. You really start to appreciate the potential energy in a gallon of gasoline.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
All good info thanks.
I have a good ALUMA trailer. If I do the motorcycle thing I'll use that.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Any possibility of nighttime travel, possibly unplanned? After installing a front receiver and bike rack, it only took a half mile test to realize the headlight glare off the bike rims was dangerously affecting my night time vision. Went with a small trailer instead.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tilting rack. Unlock a pin, the thing tilts. A ramp slides out as well. Ride it up standing next to it. It has a front wheel holder. When the bike reaches the front wheel holder, it tilts to normal and you push the lever and lock in. Then tie down as normal and off you go.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
docjay wrote:
Google Ultimate MX Hauler. It has an integrated jack. No ramp necessary. I’ve been using one for 10 years with my 450cc dual sport bikes.

Interesting.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

docjay
Explorer
Explorer
Google Ultimate MX Hauler. It has an integrated jack. No ramp necessary. I’ve been using one for 10 years with my 450cc dual sport bikes.

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
Another option may be the article in this post. Go to the 3rd picture down. Link to Motorcycle rack for truck camper

If you have help, you could push it up. If you are buy yourself, I think your experience can drive it up there standing along side of it. The second and third time will be better than the first. 🙂
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Honda is making those goofy trail bikes again. Step through frame and single seat. These new ones are 125cc and have an automatic clutch.
Weight 259#
Start shopping elect bikes I think.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Bedlam
Pre stage your straps

Use engine power to get it up the ramp while walking alongside it

Kill the engine

Strap outboard side with slight lean toward truck

Strap inboard side so just barely tight

Tightened outboard side till bike is vertical

Reverse strapping steps to unload and leave bike in first gear with engine off. Roll down ramp with clutch squeezed and use front brake for control. If front wheel tries to slide, release clutch to hold it with rear wheel.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am setting up my carrier on my new used truck camper rig.

300lbs 250 dual sport

I take the bike for a walk and power up the ramp.

Shut down in gear, lean a bar end against the vehicle to get 1st straps on.

I have a front receiver to install if I don't like it on the back.

My carrier is Versahaul. Best feature is the anti tilt fixture: Anti tilt fixture

Wind therapy on a motorcycle is the best after lumbering around in a clumsy RV.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
What's the intended purpose? If it's for just around campgrounds, for example, an electric bike would be ideal, as mentioned by another poster. If you're using it to run to the grocery store several miles away, the motorcycle seems like a good bet, however I see 250cc as a bit of overkill. Happy travels.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress