cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from MH to TT

pappaone
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, just traded the good ole MH for a small TT. The 35' MH was getting to be to much for just the DW and I. We had given up the campground hosting/work and haven't done much camping so the TT will suit us just fine. I will probably be asking lots of ??? just as I did when I 1st started out with the MH so please be easy on me.

Rich
Rich & Jennie(mate of 59 yrs 6/6/59)
2017 Minnie Winnie 27Q
1 Grey Persian cat
1 German Shepard/Blue healer pup
22 REPLIES 22

Telemarc
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Telemarc wrote:
I know how you feel . We just traded our 45 country coach Affinity for a new F150 Platinum and a 28 foot Blackstone travel trailer.

Black Stones are super nice trailers, but very heavy. It gave my Duramax a workout when I towed one back in May. I'd never even consider towing one with a half ton... YIKES

The new Fi50,s tow better than the older F250s and as well as the old F350s. We are well under the Limits of the truck but actually we based our decision on others that have the same setup Blackstone and new F150 and tow from Vancouver to Fort McMurray regularly and are happy with the setup. Actually the Blackstones tow so much better than most TT's that that is a factor as well. Remember Half a ton is 1000 lbs. Half tons are not half tons anymore. Payload in our truck is actually over a ton. Oh sorry wrong thread.
Sold the house, time to see the world.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Which Surveyor did you get?
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
I can't imagine why anyone would pull a TT or drive a MH thru downtown San Francisco. That's just poor planning.

Try Puerto Vallarta. That is an experience.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Telemarc wrote:
I know how you feel . We just traded our 45 country coach Affinity for a new F150 Platinum and a 28 foot Blackstone travel trailer.

Black Stones are super nice trailers, but very heavy. It gave my Duramax a workout when I towed one back in May. I'd never even consider towing one with a half ton... YIKES
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ExpeditionEL
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of doing the same thing now. We had a 42 ft. NEWMAR diesel motorhome. We sold it and bought a vacation home but now we miss our travels a little. So we are trying to find a good travel trailer to do short camping trips. We have an Expedition EL that we will pull it with. We used to go out for months at a time with the NEWMAR but now we expect just a couple of weeks here and there with the TT....
We are looking but haven't found the right trailer yet. This will be new to us because we had Class C and Class A units --- but never owned a travel trailer...
We always towed a Jeep Liberty. It is nice to not be dealing with diesel transmission, Diesel engine, air compressors, tires and all the stuff that goes with the Class A units... But we will miss some of the conveniences too...

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my 2015 Open Range 216 with a 2013 Platinum Armada. The Armada is rated for 9100 lbs and it tows my TT just fine but the mileage sucks. Because the Armada generates is best torque at around 2700-3000 RPM I find I have to drive in 3rd most of the time with occasional 4th in the flats of Florida. I have to drop to 2nd to make the kills of TN and NC. The Armada likes for you to keep the RPMs up there. My mileage runs 8.5 to 9 MPG.

I would guess my TT is around 6K loaded and the TW is around 750. Those are just guesses.

I don't think I'd want to tow anything bigger with the Armada.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Big_Baldy
Explorer
Explorer
pappaone wrote:
kknowlton wrote:
Welcome to TT living! What are you towing the trailer with? (Not the Malibu, I hope.)

No I don't think the Malibu would do very good as a tow. Still looking for a tow vehicle, have been looking at Toyota Tundra and the Nissan Armada, both seem like they will be able to handle the 25ft/4400lbs with no problems.

I used to tow a slightly longer TT with an Infiniti QX-56 which is the same basic vehicle as the Armada. The wheelbase on that vehicle was a little too short for comfortable towing IMHO. Also the mileage while towing with the 5.6L was really bad. I switched to a crew cab pickup and was much happier. YMMV
Looking for the perfect Class A DP

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
We did the same switch. Found that we would sit in the motorhome and watch nascar all day because it was cloudy outside. One day it hit us, this is not camping. Now have a twenty foot trailer with outside kitchen and only come in to sleep and use the can. I do have an outside tv to watch nascar, sorry addicted. Dave

Telemarc
Explorer
Explorer
I know how you feel . We just traded our 45 country coach Affinity for a new F150 Platinum and a 28 foot Blackstone travel trailer. We custom ordered with 50 Amp and found as far as travel trailers go it was the most functional and one of the few that was not falling apart on the lot. It gets PDI 'ed tomorrow and we get to try and cram it full on Friday. All our stuff is in Boxes in a friends shop while we live in his borrowed fiver. I figure we will get a third in and the rest goes to the Goodwill. Should be interesting. Will miss the heated tile floor and Residential washer /dryer and Fridge. Will not miss trying to cram into tight spots and driving across on the ferry.
Sold the house, time to see the world.

pappaone
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48, I know what you mean about the difference in space, was just putting some of the stuff from the MH into the TT and asked myself where do I store all of it. Also not sure I'm going to enjoy trying to set up in the rain when all I had to do in the MH was push a button to level then set back and relax.

Rich
2017 Minnie Winnie 27Q
1 Grey Persian cat

pappaone
Explorer
Explorer
kknowlton wrote:
Welcome to TT living! What are you towing the trailer with? (Not the Malibu, I hope.)

No I don't think the Malibu would do very good as a tow. Still looking for a tow vehicle, have been looking at Toyota Tundra and the Nissan Armada, both seem like they will be able to handle the 25ft/4400lbs with no problems.
2017 Minnie Winnie 27Q
1 Grey Persian cat

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine why anyone would pull a TT or drive a MH thru downtown San Francisco. That's just poor planning.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Sondy132001
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Welcome to the TT side of RVing.

Our TT decision was simple; we park and see the local sights. So the TV gets most of the mileage.

We also decided on a 25 ft. max, so we could pull it through the city street when hunting down quilt shops on the way to the campground.

We rented a MH and took it through San Francisco (downtown) on our way to Westport, seriously I almost threw up, that was an E-Ticket type ride I never want to do again ha ha Next time it will be our 18ft TT 😉

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a Monaco DP to a Open Range 216. The jury is still out on if it was a good decision or not. When we had the MH we pulled a Jeep Wrangler. I could hook and unhook the Wrangler in less than a minute. Backing up was never an issue. Seems like a whole lot more work hooking and unhooking the TT. I'm assuming that it'll get easier as I become more used to it.

I miss the cargo and storage capacity of the MH. I basically had a basement the same size as the motorhome and 4' tall. With the TT I only have the pass thru in the front under the bed. Of course the TT is smaller inside but not by much and that isn't an issue since there's only the two of us. The MH could carry tons (literally) of stuff without any concern of being overloaded. The TT not so much.

With the MH cross winds were never a consideration but they do come into play with the TT. I really miss my generator and arriving with the RV already cooled down or heated up has it's advantages. Also, when overnighting (yes, at WalMart) I never even had to get out of the MH.

MH carried 100 gallons of water, had 40 gallon black tank and 70 gallon gray tank. TT is smaller and I seem to have to try to keep the tanks as empty as possible to keep the weight down. On the DP I got 11 MPG. With the TT I average about 8.5 on the Armada.

I'm not making any predictions right now and will give the TT more time but if I had it to do over I'd probably hang on to the MH.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU