directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-
61 REPLIES 61

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
8iron wrote:
Did I miss something or did they really just go by the trip computer numbers to determine MPG?

I don't see the problem of using the computer for MPG. Even IF you hand calc. You are still using the information given you by the computer. You trust the computer to tell you how fast you are going, To adjust the fuel mix, to add and subtract power. and to keep up with the miles driven. None of that stuff is mechanical any more.

For hand calculating MPG, the only vehicle computer factor you are trusting is you are assuming the odometer is accurately measuring distance traveled. And that measurement by the vehicle computer can easily be checked by comparing the odometer readings to some mileposts, or to an accurate GPS. I have GPS apps on my smartphone that accurately measure distance traveled, and that can be compared to the odometer.

MPG figures reported from the on board computer are completely meaningless and irrelevant to me, whether my own or other peoples' vehicles. Yes, there are differences in when the pump shuts off, but that slight variation can be virtually eliminated as a factor by hand-calculating mileage over a number of miles and a number of tankfuls. Or for a one off comparison test such as the subject of this thread, they could fill the fuel right up the neck to where the fuel is visible every time.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
BillyW wrote:
It should also be noted the diesel was geared for towing, the gasser was geared for economy. On top of that, I didn't know the Ecodiesel had a 32 gallon fuel tank option. I thought it was only 26.

Actually a 3.55 is more of an intermediate gear. OK for towing, and Ok for driving. Truth is. There is only 100 RPM difference between a 3.55, and a 3.73 at 60 MPH.
In Ecodiesel circles, the claimed mileage difference between 3.92 and 3.55 is pretty significant. And obviously per your numbers there would be at least 200 RPMs between 3.55 and 3.92. That does make a difference. The Ecodiesel should have been 3.55 as well, AND it should have been a Quadcab, instead of a Crewcab. Those details add up to skew the numbers. Somehow, I just don't think the 2.7 EB is going to show those kinds of numbers in the real world either. Don't get me wrong, the Ecodiesel has lost its luster in my eyes based on how the numbers would likely work out for me. But I do think it and the Ram 1500 in general are unfairly maligned around here. The 2.7 EB is intriguing but its capabilities top out just a tad too low for me to consider it as a tow vehicle. This whole comparison was rigged in favor of the Ford IMHO.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Explorer
Explorer
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
8iron wrote:
Did I miss something or did they really just go by the trip computer numbers to determine MPG?

I don't see the problem of using the computer for MPG. Even IF you hand calc. You are still using the information given you by the computer. You trust the computer to tell you how fast you are going, To adjust the fuel mix, to add and subtract power. and to keep up with the miles driven. None of that stuff is mechanical any more.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillyW wrote:
It should also be noted the diesel was geared for towing, the gasser was geared for economy. On top of that, I didn't know the Ecodiesel had a 32 gallon fuel tank option. I thought it was only 26.

Actually a 3.55 is more of an intermediate gear. OK for towing, and Ok for driving. Truth is. There is only 100 RPM difference between a 3.55, and a 3.73 at 60 MPH.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

peiscooter
Explorer
Explorer
Those TFL guys are dinks.
Cheers

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
3.92 Ram vs 3.55 Ford could be a factor.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
From the story -hand calculated is not eazy either pumps shut off at slightly different times -,the reporter freely admitted that the DID can be 1-2 mpg off.He suggested more longer distance is required but they stand by the run same driver same route,I thought the turbo running at a lower rpm was most interesting.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Comparable trucks (crew vs crew instead of crew vs super cab) and hand calculated would be more interesting.

More than 1000 pounds weight difference between the trucks. Even with the difference in cabs, aluminum has obvious advantages.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
Nice numbers...

I would like to see the test again pulling 7,000 lbs

Funny you say 7,000 lbs... :B

Here's a 7000lb test

Nice....

Too bad there isn't a real world test.. like 1200 miles towing a RV.. That would probably be an eye opener:B

I would think that the major advantage of the EcoDiesel comes when one is just doing the mundane hours upon hours of towing...

The numbers... IMHO.. are not there from a purely financial standpoint in favor of the EcoDiesel...

But towing... Thats where I think this beast would really shine.... not the fastest.. but it should be comfortable pulling 5-8000 lbs all day and should net decent MPG's doing it.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
The surprise is that the diesel did not beat the gasser by more than it did. 2.3 mpg (less than 10%) is not nearly enough to make up the difference in diesel costs.

Add in a 3.0 MV motori regen process to that test and the results could be an eye opener. Plus the 3.0 VM Motori requires special euro oil and a very expensive oil filter and the operator costs makes the ROI not very attractive.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
jerem0621 wrote:
Nice numbers...

I would like to see the test again pulling 7,000 lbs

Funny you say 7,000 lbs... :B

Here's a 7000lb test

Although I got to say after seeing Bloogberns latest RAM offerings (Rampage and Limited) grills the grill on the RAM in the video looks spectacular.

Edit: Forgot the smiley :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The surprise is that the diesel did not beat the gasser by more than it did. 2.3 mpg (less than 10%) is not nearly enough to make up the difference in diesel costs.

8iron
Explorer
Explorer
2014 F350 Lariat
2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 29ss