cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 1984 Travel Lite 17 footer

TheSubaruJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everybody! I wanted to share my 17ft camp trailer I got for my family & I to use. I picked it up last year and have had to do a little work on it. But it serves us well and our family loves it!

Here's some exterior photos:

A couple shots of the interior when I first got it:

It pulls really well behind my Toyota Sequoia. Straight as an arrow and the truck can barely tell its there.

Here we are enjoying it on its very first family trip to Lake Tahoe.

And another site not far from Tahoe for trip #2

It really does make camping possible for our family!
37 REPLIES 37

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Makes me miss our first TT, a '94 18.5 Aljo Deluxe. We took it everywhere. Small enough to hitch up and take to the beach for breakfast and R&R.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice work! That camper is laid out almost exactly like an old 13 foot Sunline that friends had years ago. The color scheme is identical.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
fantastic indeed. If the camper works for you, then it's the right RV. It doesn't have to be new, huge, or a Taj Mahal on wheels.

We were in the Teton's and Yellowstone recently and saw all kinds of new/retro styled campers along with many older units like yours. There seems to be some real momentum in the industry offering throwback models. Lot's of 'canned hams' and 'tear drops' rolling down the road.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love the old sub 20ft trailers. Looks to be very nice. Great job and great find.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

TheSubaruJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Guys! I don't know anything about the history of this trailer. I kind of bought it in haste, and could have maybe done a better job looking it over. But its much better than sleeping in a tent!! And the price I paid was fair, considering the market for these things :E

One of the things I did overlook was the fact it was missing the back-rest for the sofa, which also doubles as half of my full size bed. I was able to find some cushions that kind of worked as replacements, but they were not very comfortable at all. The 30 year old foam was not going to cut it with my wifes bad back, and me trying to enjoy the wilderness with her 🙂

So first thing first, was to build a new bed frame and order a new mattress. Before any of that, I had to do something about this "shelf" that seemed to only exist to bruise my wifes shins in the middle of the night.

Before:

After:

After that, it was time to do something about the bench area. Both rear corners of the trailer suffer from rot. I originally cleaned out all the damaged wood and sprayed some expanding foam insulation into the corners to stop any drafts.

And then I set forth laying out a basic frame,

Once that was complete, I covered the frame with some sheets of plywood,

And then layered that with some hard foam padding.

I wanted a mattress that would fit the entire useable area in the back of the trailer. So I bought one that was slightly too large and then cut it down to size so it would fit.

$12 harbor freight ceramic knife cut thru the memory foam & dense foam like it was butter!

And now we have the most comfortable sleep you'll get at 4400ft in the forest!

I also removed all the old curtain rods, and half-curtains (which are useless by the way!) and replaced them with something that will actually block the sunlight. The curtains used to be a set of full length curtains we had in the bedroom when we bought the house. I was able to cut them all to size and just quickly staple them into place.

They do much better at blocking out the sun than those useless half curtains it used to have.

I would have liked to have curtain rods and all that fancy stuff, but I only had a few days to get all of this work completed before a weekend camping trip. And the first trip with the new bed is Wife approved!!

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats nice rig!
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Man that's been kept good care of.
Great TT!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Classic! Great pictures.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad