cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Traveling Poll, Results.....

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just arrived yesterday in Elkhart, IN the RV Capitol of the world. I traveled from SoCal starting last Wednesday and traveled thru CA, AZ, NM, OK, MO, IL and IN. I noted every RV hauler and hotshotter with a DOT sign on the side of their truck. I assumed it would be RAM, GM and then Ford way last but not so.

Results

RAM 59 Dually's, 5 SRW Total 64

Ford 10 Dually's, 5 SRW Total 15

GM 7 Dually's, 3 SRW Total 10

I stopped counting once I hit Elkhart. I have seen MANY RAM's here since yesterday with a couple fords and GM's.

My experience driving I-5 is different with the vast majority being RAM's and about 1/3 being GM's and near no Fords each trip North and south.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD
126 REPLIES 126

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to Tacoma in a Ford and a Nissan but I don't remember the names of the other trucks I saw there.

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Don't confuse me with real life when I have statistics to back me up. 🙂

Fj12ryder,

Not to hijack this great scientific thread but I just noticed you're in Platte City, MO. I'll be up there mid-June at the Basshaven Resort; how's that campground?

Dave
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
nohurry wrote:
The observation of the OP is just that, and I accept that. No argument on the number of Rams towing for a living. Doesn't make me feel any less about my choice, or any more towards a Ram. If it makes you feel better about your choice, that's fine. It should. No problem here. BUT, speaking only for myself here; If owning 8 Ford trucks in the last 30 years, and only had one real issue that had to be repaired by a shop (1990 F250 W/460), is looking through rose colored glasses well, guilty as charged. I keep buying them because they've been good to ME. Could that change? You bet. I love American trucks, and if I'm next to a Ram, or GM at a campground I'm just as likely to compliment it as a conversation starter as I would be if it was a Ford. Most RV'ers I meet are the same way. I work with a guy that has an '03 Dodge/Cummins, and we go back and forth all day long, but at the end of the day it's all good, and he actually helped me understand diesels a lot better before I bought my first one last year.

Sorry for the ramble. Enjoy your trucks everyone.

Good post. I was a die hard Ford man too until I had a 6.0L diesel which burned me on repairs and resale value so I made a change. Had that not happened to me I would likely still be in a Ford.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
There once was a man from Tacoma....

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know anyone from Tacoma, nor their neighbor, whom also would be from Tacoma, that might own a Tacoma, ....but I may, one day...or not....

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
The observation of the OP is just that, and I accept that. No argument on the number of Rams towing for a living. Doesn't make me feel any less about my choice, or any more towards a Ram. If it makes you feel better about your choice, that's fine. It should. No problem here. BUT, speaking only for myself here; If owning 8 Ford trucks in the last 30 years, and only had one real issue that had to be repaired by a shop (1990 F250 W/460), is looking through rose colored glasses well, guilty as charged. I keep buying them because they've been good to ME. Could that change? You bet. I love American trucks, and if I'm next to a Ram, or GM at a campground I'm just as likely to compliment it as a conversation starter as I would be if it was a Ford. Most RV'ers I meet are the same way. I work with a guy that has an '03 Dodge/Cummins, and we go back and forth all day long, but at the end of the day it's all good, and he actually helped me understand diesels a lot better before I bought my first one last year.

Sorry for the ramble. Enjoy your trucks everyone.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
a lot of threads turn into nonsense ,this was nonsense right from the title on.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I take 512 and bypass part of Tacoma from time to time. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've heard of Tacoma.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bedlam
I have a neighbor from Tacoma.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor has a Tacoma.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
SouthpawHD wrote:

This is how a lot of Ford owners view commercial heavy hauling between the three.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
After living in Indiana for many years I can tell you for a fact that Ram dominates the RV hauling industry. It is what it is.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Community Alumni
Not applicable
On this side of Texas we have a ton of hotshotters. Most are running drilling equipment to the oil fields or industrial equipment out to the plants. Most seem to be heading out to the plants in Texas City, Baytown, or the Ship Channel. There are a ton more Rams than any other model. I mean it's like clear as day. Like Ray Charles can see it and he's blind and dead (God rest his soul). Not many are running with Ford and most I see are 6.7's. Rarely do I see a GM and when I do it's normally the 15'+.

I live near a drilling pipe manufacturer and pretty much all of the hotshotters pulling out and in are Rams. Most new guys are running either the '98-02' or the 06'-08'. I'm surprised at how many 5.9's are still running. They look like they've been through hell and back, but they're still going. The old guys are normally running 14'+. About 75 percent of them are duallys. I noticed that quite a few of them are running with paper tags, so business must still be good even with low oil prices. Starting to see a lot more standard cab duallys so I guess they're trying to save money where they can.

A neighbor who's a hotshotter just picked up a new 3500 High Country. I guess he liked it so much that he picked up another one 2 weeks later for his brother. Those are some beautiful trucks. When it comes to the vehicle of choice for landscaping crews around here, Ford wins hands down. Just about every company is running a F-Series truck or a E-Series van.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10