cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nash 25C or Lance 2185 Travel Trailer?

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we've narrowed our search for a four-season TT that has bunks for our kids and are trying to decide betw the Nash 25C or the Lance 2185.

It almost seems that Nash "copied" the Lance as the Nash 25C just came out and Lance has been making the similar floorplan for a couple yrs - I think since 2011? or 2012?

We like the lightweight aluminum-frame construction of the Lance over the wood construction of the Nash.

However, there is more storage/wardrobe space in the Nash, with a larger counter in the kitchen, and I like the style of it better. I'm a "foodie" and one of the main reasons I like to "bring my kitchen along via a travel trailer" is so that I can prepare wholesome meals without eating junk/spending lots of $$$ in restaurants.

The new Nash could be bought for probably about $8000 cheaper too.

Any comments or ideas?

Thanks for all your help in the past.

Mary Kay in Ohio
92 REPLIES 92

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
Well folks, Here is a first draft. If you have any comments/want to add anything, I really appreciate you taking the time to read it.

Thanks again,

Mary Kay

Dear Donald,

We spoke with you several months ago when we began to consider purchasing a Nash 25C. We have searched for something used to try to save money, but nothing seems to compare. We live in NE Ohio and there are no nearby Nash dealers. Since we have to travel a great distance anyway, any dealer anywhere in the country is fair game and we are open to see with whom we can get the best price.

We wanted to give you a heads up because they will be approaching you with the same order options that we are requesting. Rather than asking you over and over about some of these options, we thought you may strike some down first and save us all a bunch of unnecessary communications.

We are initiating a dialogue now because we would like to pick up a new travel trailer before the last week of December, 2013.

Do you have any runs of Nash 25C’s in the works before then?
----------------

Options/Prices we’ve received

Slide topper $375
a/c 825
stabilizer jacks 233
Dual - Pane Windows 1278
Range Cover 23
Heated Enc Tanks 278
Sit & Sleep 443
Roof Rack & Ladder 188

Questions about other options

Exhaust fan in the bathroom?
Where are the FanTastic Vents? $218….Do they include a vent cover?
Spare Tire Group $203….Group? Tire and Carrier? Is a spare included when you purchase?
Is the carrier a tire rack of sorts? Tires = radials or bias ply?
Exhaust fan over stove is included, right?
********************************************************************************

We do not want the front and rear windows in the dinette. Any reduction in price?
Don’t want the microwave. Any reduction?
Don’t want shelves in Master wardrobes. Want rack to hang clothes. Any change in price?
Don’t want shelves in top wardrobe in the bunkhouse. Want rack to hang them. Change in price?
Don’t want the key rack. (Sorry!) Any reduction?
Don’t want designer décor borders. Reduction?
Don’t want ANY vinyl backsplashes around sinks. Any reduction?
Don’t want that padded thing above either door. Any reduction?
Cost to add cupboard doors at the ends of dinette bench seats?
Would you consider using Forbo’s Marmoleum – an all-natural product if it had some sort of vapor seal on the back - instead of vinyl flooring that outgasses terribly? (I have contacted a woman named Cherry –something at Forbo, whom I have given your contact info — I hope this is okay!)
Would you consider using formaldehyde-free plywood?
Have you ever done any formaldehyde testing in any of your cabins? Results –ppm?

Thank you,

Mary Kay

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! I'm really envious.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
And so everyone, I want to thank all of you. After months and months of searching, pouring over pictures, even going to an RV place which included an overnight stay cuz it was so far, going to RV places and physically going in and out of camper after camper, we've decided on the Nash 25C. We have a whole list of items we want to request and I'll share these with you all to get your input before I send to Donald Cochran at Northwoods Manufacturing.

Then after we send him the letter, we'll be contacting five or six dealers to see who will give us the best price. We'll also give each a list of the options/changes we want as well and will even travel to California on a road trip to get the best price.. We're just sending to Donald Cochran to give him a heads up.

I really did try to find a used one --I really did. It's just that nothing lived up to the floorplan/storage of the Nash 25C --even if all the technical stuff was all equal. I believe for example, that Lance probably is a well-built camper, and if we considered them equal, it just doesn't have the extras.

So thanks again. I hope I can help someone in the future as much as you've all helped me.

Mary Kay

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
Brulaz, Thank you so much for telling me about the Creekside. I did check it out! And you're right, they do come in a true, four-season package, complete with thermal-pane windows. However, the layout is just not the Nash 25C. We really like the second door in the 25C for the kids and the fact that their "room" is much more separate from the kitchan as I'm often up late after they go to bed.

The kitchen/storage just doesn't compare either. There was however one small item I liked better about the Creekside 23BHS --and that is that there's counter space on either side of the stovetop. Most all the other campers, including the Nash have the stove right in the corner.

Thanks so much!

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
marykays1 wrote:

DOH...I said we tried out a Lance....We did not. We tried out the Nash!!!...

I think my dh did stand in the Nash shower, will have to ask him. Brulaz,when you were talking about the shower, were you talking about the Lance?

Sheesh.

Mary Kay

The Nash 25C has a short Queen IIRC, only 76" long. So if a 6'3" guy is happy with that, there shouldn't be any problem. But if he later wants a longer mattress, there's lots of room for one.

I was talking about the Lance shower. I expect the Nash has more head room.

Also see that Outdoors RV's Creekside brand has a smaller, lighter double bunk model 23BHS (6900# GVWR, 26'11" versus 8000#, 28'8"), compared to the Nash. Missing the second door though and only a shallow slide. Outdoors RV is also well known for 4-season, off road vehicles and uses the same Northwood chassis with all wood shell framing like the Nash.

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
marykays1 wrote:
BTW, my dh is just about 6 ft 3 in and we tried out the Lance full bed and it was fine. We even tried the one with the sofa conversion (sit & sleep, I think it's called) too and he liked it, but it has a little dip by your butt, wo we figure we'll put some sort of foam right under that part. It didn't bother me at all, but I'm much smaller/lighter so that might be the reason. I'm also just not as picky LOL.

Mary Kay

DOH...I said we tried out a Lance....We did not. We tried out the Nash!!!...

I think my dh did stand in the Nash shower, will have to ask him. Brulaz,when you were talking about the shower, were you talking about the Lance?

Sheesh.

Mary Kay

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Mik68 wrote:
Will need to get me some tools when I get there, I'm a need to fix things myself kinda guy & having no tools would really frustrate me. Unfortunately Nash or Arctic fox don't cater for 3 kids & as we'll be full timing for 6 months don't want have a make shift 3rd bed or use the dinette. I was looking at the F-262BHS amongst others.

The F-262BHS does have a nice layout with the vaulted ceiling and 80" bed. Could be the outside plumbing isn't as bad as the FF model I saw, or, as the salesman said when I pointed it out, "Oh, we can fix that."

Mik68
Explorer
Explorer
Will need to get me some tools when I get there, I'm a need to fix things myself kinda guy & having no tools would really frustrate me. Unfortunately Nash or Arctic fox don't cater for 3 kids & as we'll be full timing for 6 months don't want have a make shift 3rd bed or use the dinette. I was looking at the F-262BHS amongst others.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Mik68 wrote:
Fun finder has full queen as does Lance if it matters? Does for me as i'm over 6ft. KZ & Nash only appear to have 'mini queens'. Nothing worse than not been able to stretch out in your own bed i say.

The Nash 25C has lots of room at the foot of the bed so it would be easy to throw on a longer 80" mattress. That's what I did on our current trailer. Screwed in a few end brackets with a plywood top to support the extra 6" when the mattress is down, and you're good to go. The new 8" thick foam mattress we got is way better than what we have at home; hafta do something about that someday ...

But coming from Australia you might not have the tools, but for the op's husband this is definitely the way to go.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I started traveling with a Fun Finder 189FD. The next year I traded it in and bought an Artic Fox 22H. The Northwoods product was a hugely superior product back in 2006. The current Nash is very similar to what the Fox was when I bought.

Had a 2002 F250PSD to pull the Fox, they are heavy. I did the following big trips from Wisconsin; Alaska, Maine, Oregon and Florida (x2). Never had a problem with the trailer that I did not cause.

Ducted AC is a must because of less noise and ability to select who gets what. At 20F outside the Fox furnace ran 50% of the time. It was never hot enough for the AC to run all the time and it was only 13000btu.

If I were to buy another trailer new or used. It would be a Northwoods product. They are well thought out and durable. Only after you abuse your trailer by accident so much do you realize how will it is made.

Sorry I have no videos of the Northwoods plant but I did go there. It is state of the art programmed cutting of all their house parts. Also, I was very impressed with how they treat their people. It seemed like every hour there was break time.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
marykays1 wrote:
BTW, my dh is just about 6 ft 3 in and we tried out the Lance full bed and it was fine. We even tried the one with the sofa conversion (sit & sleep, I think it's called) too and he liked it

Did he stand in the shower? Not that important as you usually don't spend much time there, but I had to stick my head in the little bubble above to stand up straight. Sort of like being in a space suit. Felt Like I was going to bump my head on the edge of the bubble when I bent down. Not that comfortable a place for me.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Mik68 wrote:

Mmmm, I would be very interested in what the underbelly on the Lance & KZ are like in comparison.

The Lance has a well insulated underbelly. It seems to have separate plastic compartments around each tank, plumbing and the dump valves.

It's very complex compared to most other trailers that just have a sheet of coroplast sealed to the bottom of their solid I beam frame which covers all the tanks and plumbing.

The problem with the Lance is that it mounts its Torsen axles close to the frame, so the frame to ground clearance is pretty low. Think the black/grey drains may be 9.5" from the ground. Looked at their 28' model and the drain was only 8.5" off. Most other trailers are higher. Mine is 13".

But you can lift the Lance axles. Perhaps as a factory option.

Dunno about KZ.

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Goldstalker, Again, won't work for us as it must be a true four-season camper. May check out the link for fun though...Just tried but it was taking too long.

Thanks again,

Mary Kay

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
Not four season...here are the specs.

http://www.cruiserrv.com/fun-finder-x/x_262bhs/specifications.html
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
Oops, sorry for the double post....just did a quick search under RV Cruiser----Are these four season? It is imperative that it's a four-season....Which ones are you considsering? I only looked at the Fun Finder 262BHS, but there weren't any specs --I'm especially interested in the GVWR.

Mary Kay