cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a different TV, please don't throw popcorn!

Taurus18
Explorer
Explorer
Current TV is a '09 Nissan Titan which was fine for the old 18' TT, but last spring we bought a 21' TH. Depending on how I load I'm either right at, or a couple hundred over, my GVWR 😞
Hills and/or a head wind make it work pretty hard and shift frequently, I average around 6.0 mpg when towing.
Obviously I need a 3/4 ton but here are my questions:
If I go diesel (probably used) anything to watch out for? Looks like I should avoid the 6.0L PSD, watch out for certain fuel pumps, etc?
A gasser is not out of the question, and for those who have one I'd like information about power and MPG pulling a 8,000# TH or similar.
Truck will most likely be a daily driver.
Thanks!
Greg
35 REPLIES 35

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
Taurus18 wrote:
donn; my payload is 1650#, I don't know of any half tons that will beat that by enough to make a difference, therefore the search for a 3/4.
David; yes I have the tow package. The TH weighs around 8,000 without water. With me and a full tank of fuel I have 1100 pounds left. Put 1,000 on the hitch, add the wife and some gear and ............... I'm over.
It will pull it 70mph all day even up hills, but I'd rather not run it over 3500rpm any more often than I must. Unfortunately even the new XD with the Cummins still only has a 1700 payload capacity.

That is one heavy 21 footer. Agreed, those are 3/4 ton numbers. Good luck searching and with the new rig!

Taurus18
Explorer
Explorer
donn; my payload is 1650#, I don't know of any half tons that will beat that by enough to make a difference, therefore the search for a 3/4.
David; yes I have the tow package. The TH weighs around 8,000 without water. With me and a full tank of fuel I have 1100 pounds left. Put 1,000 on the hitch, add the wife and some gear and ............... I'm over.
It will pull it 70mph all day even up hills, but I'd rather not run it over 3500rpm any more often than I must. Unfortunately even the new XD with the Cummins still only has a 1700 payload capacity.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We have 18?,??? miles on our X and needed something newer to pull a 33' TT. TV's cost so much that we traded the TT for a MH.

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have the tow package and 9k capacity? Seems odd a small TH would be near or over the GVWR of your Titan. My Armada has the same 5.6 with over 300 HP and almost 400 lbs. of torque. In the mountains it is a beast and I pull a 30 ft. trailer that is 6400 Lbs. loaded with about 900 on the tongue. In the NC Mountains I’m not winning any races but it pulls strong. How heavy is your 21 footer? You cannot have too much truck but seems your current vehicle would be up to the challenge of a smaller TH. The Titan/Armada has as much or more pulling power and capacity of any of the current ½ ton offerings so I agree if you’re not happy with the Titan a ¾ ton would be the way to go. Good luck!

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
2500/F250 crewcab longbed dually would be my choice. This gives you flexibility extra cargo room and security if you add a campershell/cap. You'll be able to tow your current TH and anything you may want in the future.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
For that 21 footer any of the latest crop of 1500s would do the job. Now, the real question. How long to you see yourself with the current trailer? How often do you tow? If your plan is to upgrade in a couple years, then 2500 would be smart. If not then one of the latest 1500s will tow fine. No matter what, a gas motor will handle up to about a 30 foot trailer easily.